Log In Sign Up

What happens if OB says no VBA2C, but you go into labor and stay at home a while??


Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3Sapphires

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
March 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
georgiabrit's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 516
Just asking theoretically... if my OB says they "don't do VBACs" and won't let me try for a VBA2C (2001,2005 c sections) but i go into labor before the scheduled c-section date... if i decide to labor at home a while and see what happens, and get to the hospital in active labor, can i insist they allow me to continue? Or can C-sections actually be forced on women?

I'm looking around right now for someone local who will support a VBA2C trial in hospital, but if i can't find a doctor to support me, i just.... hate the idea of being forced into abdominal surgery like its "ok" because its childbirth! I want to labor!

Anyway, what do you think hospitals can do with a woman who refuses to be wheeled into surgery and is in active labor?

Thanks for reading!

Polly
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #2  
March 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the mountain state
Posts: 11,860
you can refuse to sign the consent forms, but don't be surprised if they bully you with ever tactic under the sun.

If I had a provider that said "no" I would do something similar - actually I am planning something similar this time.

I would wait as long as I possibly could. I am going to have DH learn how to check me. I am determined to not go to the hospital before transition this time. I just don't want to spend hours upon hours fighting off pushy nurses again.
Memi likes this.
__________________


**
FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)



Reply With Quote
  #3  
March 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,816
You always have the right to refuse a c/s. Just a matter of how much you want to fight.
I ran across this recently and found it interesting: Refusing a Cesarean

I'm planning a VBAC. I am getting care an hour away because I can't find a single mom who has had a successful VBAC locally. The only way I'd agree to show up to the local hospital is if something has gone terribly wrong. I HATE that I'm basically being forced to seek care elsewhere. I even had to change my insurance!
__________________
My Ramblings | My Cooking

Reply With Quote
  #4  
April 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,235
Just My 2C - and take it with a grain of salt, but I have been reading for about 2 years on this since my DH and I started planning our 2nd child (who has not even been conceived yet). The reason why so many hospitals refuse VBAC is because your uterus can rupture either before you go into labor (sometimes weeks before you are due) or during labor. There's a reason why you had the c-sec to begin with - and a reason why you are scheduled for one again. It all boils down to liability. No hospital wants the life of a mother and child on their hands. You will have to weigh that in your decision making process.

Trust me, I'm no more happy about having yet another surgery (I've had 4, count them, 4 abdominal surgeries including my one c-sec) than any other woman and I wish upon wishing that I could deliver the good ol' fashion way. But the hospitals and doctors that allow it are few and far between. And their reasons are good ones. At this point, I just want a healthy child and be able to take care of that child from the get go.

If you are still determined, there is a hospital in Seattle, WA that has consented to VBACs. Northwest Hospital. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
April 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
No, they can not force a c-section on you.

Show up to the hospital ready to push.

A uterine rupture is very unlikely - and it is far more likely to happen if you are induced.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
May 21st, 2012, 05:12 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
Just wanted to add -- the risk of uterine rupture is VERY small (less than 1%), and even smaller as long as you are not induced (goes down to about .5%). Even then it can usually be dealt with with everyone turning out OK. I think the risk is higher because you've had 2 C's instead of one, but it's still not super-high.

A repeat C is actually MORE dangerous for mom, and for baby it's choose your poison (VBAC has risk of rupture, and repeat C has risk of cutting, breathing problems).

Anyway, I feel for you that you can't find a hospital that will do a VBA2C. I have heard about women doing what you describe -- waiting awhile before you go to the hospital. Could work. If nothing else, ask for an epidural, and while they're getting that together and so on if you're pushing and baby is coming, you might get to avoid it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
May 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelila View Post
Just My 2C - and take it with a grain of salt, but I have been reading for about 2 years on this since my DH and I started planning our 2nd child (who has not even been conceived yet). The reason why so many hospitals refuse VBAC is because your uterus can rupture either before you go into labor (sometimes weeks before you are due) or during labor. There's a reason why you had the c-sec to begin with - and a reason why you are scheduled for one again. It all boils down to liability. No hospital wants the life of a mother and child on their hands. You will have to weigh that in your decision making process.

Trust me, I'm no more happy about having yet another surgery (I've had 4, count them, 4 abdominal surgeries including my one c-sec) than any other woman and I wish upon wishing that I could deliver the good ol' fashion way. But the hospitals and doctors that allow it are few and far between. And their reasons are good ones. At this point, I just want a healthy child and be able to take care of that child from the get go.

If you are still determined, there is a hospital in Seattle, WA that has consented to VBACs. Northwest Hospital. Good Luck.
The risk of rupture is VERY low. VBA2C only increases the risk a tiny bit. Out of the majority of studies I read (including one with 17,000 trials of labor) the risks of rupture for a vbac after 2 cesareans is around .9%. I also found a study showing that if double layer sutures were used instead of single layer, the risk is around .45%. You are more likely to be murdered or die in a car accident than have a uterine rupture.

To the OP, I would look for another dr. I ended up finding one an hour away and everything worked out great. I have heard horror stories of women going in at 9cm or even about to push and being forced into a c-section. It's horrible.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0