scared

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
my dr and i were discussing my vbac at my last apt i am now 28 weeks and she wants to induce me earlier because the baby is ahead 2 weeks and big like my son was. I had my daughter naturally and well my son he was big but that wasnt the issue his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and infront of his head so if i would of pushed i could of killed him hense the csection. but now im scared to have a vbac because it took me a long time to heal from the csection im so afraid i wont be able to handle it or my scar will tear... with my daughter i was in labor for a long time n pushed for what seemed forever but was 3 hours i just dont know what to think..

Mother of :
Lilly Nicole 10/22/04
Liam Michael 6/6/07

Stepmother of:
Lauryn Rose 8/19/02

Soon to be mommy of:
Baby boy Leroy John due 7/26/12

~*Married to my love Michael 3/23/11 til forever*~
May 3rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Super Mommy
I know what it is like to be scared of a VBAC.....
I had 2 vaginal births( pushed for 3 hours for both and they were born with the help of forceps and vaccum weighing 6lbs 13 oz and 8lbs 6 oz) My 3rd was a c-section due to placenta previa. I am now 30 weeks pregnant with my 4th and do not know what to do. The drs are pro VBAC and saying I am an excellent candidate for a VBAC, but then on my side I say yes I did have 2 successful vaginals, but they did not come out on their own. I had a friend who like me pushed for 3 hours and they removed the baby via vaccum and her uterus scare ruptured....I am scared like crazy.
For your situation however, I was told they cannot induce with medicine if you plan on having a VBAC...Something about the contractions coming to strong and that makes it more likely to rupture...
It is scary and I do not know what to do either. I healed very easy from my c-section, but it is still a major operation....
May 4th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Starr, I have read that you needn't worry about the face that the forceps and vaccum were used to assist your vaginal births. The fact that the babies DID fit out proves that you can safely have a vaginal birth.
What position where you in? If you were laying on a bed, on your back, then that is your problem right there. Try pushing in a squatting position or on your hands & knees. This opens your pelvis up to 30%.

Good luck!
May 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm in the same boat. First baby was early by three weeks and small, 5 lbs 4 oz. -- but still came out with an enormous cone-head, lol.

Second had the cord around his neck 3x and was delivered with forceps- had to be resuscitated. Terrifying.

Third baby was trying to deliver chin first, h/r accelerated dangerously- was a c-section.

ALL were persistent occiput posterior. Planning a VBAC, but also nervous. My doctor is totally fine w/it, but admits that I am not a "predicitable birther" -haha.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

Last edited by Jenn1320; May 4th, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
May 4th, 2012, 10:43 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Induction and VBAC does not go well together at all. Using pit does increase your chances of a uterine rupture and greatly increases your chances of having a repeat c/s. At 28 weeks I'd be ignoring anything about growth anyone says. You've got a while left to go and so much can change! I also think that the ultra sounds to guess size are often wrong (they were totally wrong with DS!), so I will refuse to have one. I will consent to an u/s to check position and make sure there isn't anything obviously wrong that could make any vaginal birth unsafe (like cord, placenta, etc).
When allowed to go into labor on your own and not having any augmentation of labor, the chance of a uterine rupture is less than 1%! If there is a complete uterine rupture you will know something is wrong and can be taken into the OR. I've ran across a few completely uterine rupture birth stories over at the ICAN forums (definitely look up ICAN online if you haven't yet!) and all the moms had intense pain that was obviously not contractions. All of them listened to their bodies and had a repeat c/s without any additional issues (so baby and mom were fine in the end!). A few of these moms have actually gone on to VBAC successfully without any issues after their complete uterine rupture. Oh and the rate for a COMPLETE uterine rupture (which is worse case scenario that scares OBs) is like .1-.2%! That's right one to two TENTHS of a percent! Most of those who get a uterine rupture actually just get a small tear which is easily repaired and doesn't pose much if any danger.

I'm planning a VBAC and have decided that to inform myself as much as possible of all my risks. Maybe I'll still end up with a repeat c/s, but at least I know I've done my research and will be making an informed decision.

Health News - Womb rupture is rarer than previously thought

VBAC: making a mountain out of a molehill | Midwife Thinking

peaceful parenting: Once a Cesarean, Always a Cesarean?

Science & Sensibility » Is Elective Repeat Cesarean Surgery Truly Safer Than Planned VBAC?

Want a VBAC? Ask your care provider these questions. « VBAC Facts

Our Bodies, Ourselves: "Do Not Intervene for a Big*Baby" - Blog -

ACOG: Post Dates is Past 42 Weeks

The Lie of the EDD: Why Your Due Date Isn't when You Think - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Why are Women Afraid of Giving Birth? | National Women's Health Network

(sorry for the long list of reading material. lol)

May 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM
my dr has been pretty good with growth my son was huge i also have diabetes so my soon to b son is big already ive seen it but thats nothing im not worried about that. ive had 3 friends just do vbacs and were all induced i have no issue with it but im just nervous. but thank you for all the advice ladies

Mother of :
Lilly Nicole 10/22/04
Liam Michael 6/6/07

Stepmother of:
Lauryn Rose 8/19/02

Soon to be mommy of:

May 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM
what are good websites that i can find good info on vbacs? because i would like to know about the pitocine thing and stuff. before i opt to have my labor induced now. the baby is reither large im almost 29 weeks n hes measuring almost 32 weeks so im kinda scared n just ready to say forget it n do a csection even if i dont want too.. ugh why is this so scary n hard i wish i knew more ppl who know more about this besides my friends because we all basically just listen to our doctors i mean they r the ones whove been doing this for years right? =(

Mother of :
Lilly Nicole 10/22/04
Liam Michael 6/6/07

Stepmother of:
Lauryn Rose 8/19/02

Soon to be mommy of:

May 8th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Super Mommy
Look up sensory processing disorder. My son suffers from SPD, and the squeezing from going down the birth canal can prevent it. Just another reason to try for the VBAC.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search