Anyone VBAC with a posterior baby?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All three of my previous births have been posterior-- first two turned (with doctor's help), but the last one didn't (hence the c-section).

I've read a lot on spinning babies and various other sites about exercises to turn babies and postures, etc. I'm trying. My doctor seems to think I just create posterior babies though, possibly a pelvis thing.

Has anyone birthed a baby posterior during a VBAC? My concerns w/my last birth were that my baby wouldn't turn, so the doctor (not my current doc) said she needed to do a c-section. The baby was having h/r issues (extreme accelerations into the 200's) b/c he was trying to descend chin-first.

Anyway, I hoping for an anterior facing LO this time, but if not, have already decided to ask to try vaginally even if baby is posterior. Good idea or bad?

Any advice or BTDT stories?

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

May 6th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
I actually just had a VBA2C with a posterior baby, the vaginal birth was completely UNPLANNED ... I went into labour 3 days before my planned c-section. And seeing as it was unplanned baby had to be turned as I was pushing her out (more painful than actually delivering her, I didn't have the epidural just some numbing in my bum area) I don't see why they would have to section you just because the baby is posterior Bella had some heart rate dropping issues (don't know if it was due to positioning or not it was an extremely fast labour) and was born with a slight fever due to the heart rate dropping etc. But she is happy and healthy as can be. I say if your dr/OB is willing to give you a VBAC with a posterior baby go for it.

May 7th, 2012, 09:05 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Labor will be different (back labor is common), but it's no reason to not VBAC. I have a friend who has VBACd two posterior babies. I have another friend who VBAC a breech baby (baby turned in the middle of labor and no one realized it!). One issue I have run across is that posterior babies tend to want to bake longer since they're not always sitting down low to create that pressure on the cervix, so an impatient doctor might be an issue. There are a lot of positions you can do while in labor that can encourage a baby to turn. One of the worst things you can do is stay in bed, be on your back, or sit. It was the issue I had with DS because where I gave birth the nurses kept yelling at me that I had to stay in bed the whole time. What I wanted to do was was stick my butt up in the air and my head down, which ironically is one of the positions that helps posterior babies turn. Thankfully I've moved and I'm not going to a backwards hospital this time.

May 12th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for both your responses!

I have been practicing some spinning babies exercises- maybe it will help. If not, I'm going to give it my best shot, posterior again or not.

And Bekah, congrats on your VBA2C!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

May 21st, 2012, 06:03 PM
My first DD was posterior & wouldn't come out so got a C. Next one had a huge head, much bigger than the first, and I was afraid she would also be posterior. Read a bunch of stuff online and found out that the best way to "spin" a baby during labor is to lie on the same side as the baby's spine. Hands & knees position might work too, but side lying is best. Tried this and DD#2 came right out -- successful VBAC!
May 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am positive my baby was posterior when I started labor. I actually used the belly mapping thing from spinning babies and am almost positive he was posterior. He was also on the right side instead of the left. I was in labor for over 20 hours but at some point he turned and was anterior when he was born.
October 18th, 2012, 07:01 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
My DS3 was posterior. We had to use forceps but he was perfectly fine although I was in labor for 43 hours total.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search