hey everyone

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By alwayssmile

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Veteran
my name is kirsten my DH is Clayton and DS 11 months is zaiden... i am currently pregnant and DESPERATELY want a VBAC... the OB i found that can do it said she has a fifty percent success rate (doesnt sound very high to me at all) im just terrified of having another CS. i think i am going to look into different doctors that sound more confident... what were your experiences with VBAC? what should i expect?
January 25th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! I had a successful VBAC 18 months after my c-section and am hoping for a 2nd vbac in March.

Be prepared that a lot of people don't understand why a vbac is so important to you. I had people tell me it was selfish to "risk your baby's life" just because you don't want surgery or you want to experience pushing a baby out. I would/will/HAVE had surgery in a heartbeat if baby's life was at risk. My number one priority is a healthy baby. Unless there is some bigger reason than a 0.15% chance of uterine rupture.... I feel like a vbac is the best option. (Less drug exposure, more natural, easier bonding, faster recovery, etc.)

I also learned just because a doctor "allows" a vbac, doesn't mean they support it. The doctor had given me the impression she was pro-vbac... but I think she had expected me to change my mind because the further into pregnancy I got, the more negative her attitude about it became. By the time I went into labor she seemed frustrated and kept threatening to send me to the OR. She tried talking me out of it, even told me I might "kill" my baby if something went wrong. (VERY bad word choice...) The new doctor I'm seeing now is amazing and is very supportive!

The birth and recovery was amazing and completely worth it!
January 25th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Veteran
yea my husband is already trying to "prepare" me for the risk of another csection but thats not what i want to hear... the doctor who delivered my son does vbac's he is usually one of the doctors in the area that allows things to happen naturally. when i had my son i was in labor for 21 hours and pushed for 3 and he made no progress coming down, but i had an epidural because i wasnt dialating quick enough for that hospital (over crammed) but anyways the epidural made me COMPLETELY paralized on half of my body i couldnt lift my leg "how was i supposed to push?" getting in for a consult with my previous ob hopefully he is going to respect my wishes..
January 26th, 2013, 04:49 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
http://vbacfacts.com/2009/06/06/inte...stions-to-ask/

I agree about finding a provider who is truly supportive with VBACs. My providers had a 70% success rate which I found to be typical. I talked with them at every appt (I rotated through the CNMS at a practice) about my concerns and their concerns. I wrote up my birth plan and had all of them read it at my 3rd tri appts. There were no surprises. I knew what they were comfortable with and they knew my wishes. Even with Zoe went breech at 35 weeks they were still confident and didn't once bring up a RCS (she flipped back vertex at 37 weeks). I told them I wouldn't agree to a RCS till 42 weeks and in turn I agreed to an NST at 41 weeks. I was very pleased with how things went. I did post my birth story on here.
NutMeg76 and kearsty20 like this.

January 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Veteran
thank you sooo much for that link it will help very much during my consult with the dr
January 29th, 2013, 05:29 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
NP! There is a lot of great information on that site. The lady who writes it has spent years and her whole life currently is researching, reading, and presenting information about birth. It's the most up to date place often times. While she's very VBAC supportive, she doesn't cover up the risks of it either. She does have a Facebook page and group.

January 31st, 2013, 03:58 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
50% is very low. I would definitely find a different doctor.

How do you feel about a natural birth? That may be your best chance of achieving your VBAC.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search