New here

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 2 Post By Sarah S.
  • 2 Post By Memi
  • 2 Post By alwayssmile

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey Everyone,

Let me tell you about myself.
I had a C-Section with my daughter-- 5 years ago. I was a first time Mom so had no idea what to expect.
I went into labour naturally (contractions every 3 minutes). When I went to the hospital, they checked me and said I was about 2cm dilated.
They immediately hooked me up to Pitocin (without asking) and broke my water. Then I laboured for 7 hours with no progress as they turned up the Pitocin. I got the epidural.
Shortly after the doctor came into my room and said to me 'your family is waiting in the hallway. You could have a C-Section and have this baby in 20 minutes". Otherwise you are going to continue to labour and likely have a C-Section anyway. I remember feeling very alone and confused. I eventually consented and was wheeled off to the ER. I had my C-Section and was holding my beautiful baby shortly after. My breast milk did not come in for another week and recovery was tough.
I felt a bit cheated out of the 'normal' birth experience and couldnt' help but think that the C/S might have been unnecessary. The baby was never under any stress. I just never progressed past 2cm.

I am now almost 38 weeks pregnant with my second one. I have a new doctor who allowed me to try for a V-Bac up until 41.5 weeks. I really dont want any high expecations because I don't want to be upset if the same thing happens again but I WANT to know that my body can experience regular labour.
At the same time, I feel new again at this even though I'm a second time Mom. Part of me just wants to schedule the C-Section because at least I'm familiar with that method of birth. I'm terrified that labour will hurt.

Just wanted some support from BTDT Moms.
I suppose my feelings are normal.

Thanks for hearing me out

June 18th, 2013, 01:44 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
It is totally normal to be scared of the unknown. I had a c-section with my first (breech and hospital wouldn't allow breech delivery) and then got pregnant with twins...my first thought was to just have another csection. My csection experience was really great and I knew what to expect, so why not?!? My family was scared for me to have a VBAC with twins.

Fortunately the OB I had for my delivery was SUPER supportive of my wish to try a VBAC, and it was an amazing experience. Even though Baby A was a forceps delivery and I had significant tearing and damage from that, actually seeing the babies come out of me was something I'll never forget. My recovery was a little rough the first day or two, but it was so much easier than with the csection. My milk came in within 48 hours.

Will it hurt? Yes...but it is so worth it. I really encourage you to go for it. Your body was made to do this!!
offthewallfilms likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

June 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm scared to try vbac too! I also know if I just schedule the csection, I will regret not trying. My daughter was not lined up right. She had head and neck issues from her being so crooked and my trying to push. She was trying to come out cheek first. It was not a pleasant experience. If this baby lines up right, darn straight ill try again!

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

June 20th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Sarah S.'s Avatar Veteran
I had a VBAC in March. and I felt the same way. I really didn't want a repeat c/s but at the same time I felt like my body failed me once so odds are it was going to fail me again. At the same time I wanted the "normal" birth experience. i wanted the baby to go to my chest. i wanted my husband to truly cut the cord not cut it after the fact. I wanted to hold him for as long as I wanted. (I only got to hold my dd for 2 minutes.)
My ob office gave me a 50/50 shot. But supported whatever decision i made. Eventhough some of the docs (my practice has 4) didn't have much hope for me bc my DD was 9lbs 12 oz and I was a failure to progress at 41 weeks. I tried to be as realistic about it as I could. I knew they couldn't induce me. So I decided to give my body the best chance at going on its own but really didn't want another big baby. I scheduled my c/s for 2 days after my due date. (I probably would've schedule for my due date but it was on a sat). 1 of my drs agreed to strip my membranes at 39 weeks and I was only 2cm. I made it to my c/s date. I was contracting all night but wasn't really uncomfortable. They hooked me up to the monitors as they were prepping for my c/s. I even commented on contracting and the nurse ignored me so I didn't even say anything to my dr. Figured it was too late so I would just go with it. But I truly had the best dr. She looked at the monitor and said to me "you are really contracting" I was like yeah I know . Asked me if I wanted to VbAC still. I actually said I didn't know. She offered to check me and my husband said yes. He knew I really wanted it. I was 4cm. I still was unsure about trying but my dr really thought i should. That was at 8:45am. My c/s was scheduled for 9am. She said she could break my water but no pit. She broke my water at 11am. (I was gbs + so needed antibiotics first) had my epidural at 12 started pushing at 12:30 and brady was born at 1:27pm weighing 9lbs 14oz! It was the best feeling in the world! I did end up with a vaginal hematoma that had to be ruptured in the dr. The pain was a thousand times worse than labor and delivery. My dr said they only see 1 or 2 a year and they thought it was bc he was so big and came down so fast. Even with that i would do it again in a heart beat!! Recovery was a breeze! I was out shopping when he was less than a week old.

I think as long as you are realistic about it you should go for it! I don't think you will regret it even if you end up with a repeat c/s. good luck!!
And now we feel like our family is complete!
June 22nd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies... these were exactly what I needed to read.

I had my first via csection in December. I was induced at 41 weeks because of slightly elevated blood pressure. We started with cervadil, went to pitocin, stripped my membranes and broke my water. After more than 36 hours of labor I caved and got the epidural. They cranked the pit, the epidural failed and my blood pressure sky rocketed. They gave me more meds and another epidural and my blood pressure plummeted. I stalled out at 9 cm after 40 hours and my husband and I decided to agree to the section. LO was 8.13 and ended up spending two weeks in the NICU because of meconium aspiration (we think because of the blood pressure spikes). I had been seeing a midwife and so was just saddled with the on call OBs. The one that did my section actually told me, before the took me to the OR, that it was likely all of this would happen again and to just plan on another section if we had more kids. She gave me the same speech at my 6 week pp appt.

I want a VBAC... I want to have the natural labor and birth that I planned for the first time. I'm also scared of setting myself up for another disappointment. Do I go back to the midwife? Do I find a VBAC friendly OB? Would it not be easier to just plan on having a section? All of these questions that are already spinning around in my head. I'm pushing 40 so we'll be trying for our second in the next few months. I want to do everything that I can to make this a possibility...

June 23rd, 2013, 05:15 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I.just had a VBAC in May. I had very similar worries as you but it was so worth it! My experience and recovery was just night and day. Live without regrets and go for it! My birthstory is in the May 2013 PR if youd like to read it. Reading successful VBAC stories helped me stay encouraged.

June 27th, 2013, 06:07 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Research and read like crazy! I did hypnobabies home study and it really helped me a ton (along with all the reading I did!) to get me over my fears and make it through my birth. I did everything I could to get my VBAC knowing that if I didn't do everything I'd always wonder if I ended up with a c/s. Zoe was mispositioned at 41.5 weeks when I started having contractions. Went to a chiro and 24 hours later had my VBAC. I'm not normally the chiro person (first and only visit!), but I couldn't not do everything that I could! I did not have an easy VBAC - over 60 hours of labor, forceps were used, had horrible back labor, 2nd degree tear, etc - but I don't regret a single part of it. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat to not have another c/s! My milk came in after 2 days. I WALKED out of the hospital 24 hours after birth. A week after birth I was at the beach being lazy with my family. 1.5 weeks after birth I was alone with both kids for 2 days and I had no issues doing the cooking, cleaning, diapering, etc of both. No way could I have done that after a repeat c/s. The two after birth experiences I've had just don't even compare.

August 2nd, 2013, 05:51 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
They should have left you alone. To many OB's don't trust a womans body to do what it is suppose to do, or not quick enough for them. There was probably no need for them to break your water & no need for Pitocin. They should of left you alone, had you walk around, bounce on a ball, take a bath. It can take a long time for a first baby and they know that.

Go into it this time knowing you do not have to allow them to do anything. They do not have to break your water. Your body can labor perfectly fine with your membranes intact. Breaking the water speeds up the labor which is convienent for THEM, but not only does it make the pain worse, it puts you on a time clock. I strongly suggest refusing until you are a good 8-9cm. Don't let them give you Pitocin. With a VBAC you HAVE to find your voice to say no. Do your research, be firm.
I would suggest staying home as long as possible. Don't go straight to the hospital if your ctx are 4 min apart...look at the whole picture. Are they intense? How painful on a scale of 1-10? Can you feel baby's head being pushed down onto your cervix during the ctx? How long is the ctx lasting? Look at all of these factors & try to labor at home as long as possible. When the've been coming steady for a couple hours, lasting about at least 30seconds but I would aim for closer to 45-60, you can feel the distinct pressure of babys head being pushed onto your cervix during the contraction (this feeling gets more intense as you dilate and get further into your labor, at least in my experience X5) & you are having a hard time talking during ctx and /or it is getting to the point the pain is making you moan and really have to focus inward on your breathing, NOW would be the time to go.
Ideally you want to be about 7cm when you arrive. Good luck!
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"

Last edited by HeatherLyn429; August 2nd, 2013 at 05:54 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search