VBAC (vaginal birth after c-sect) and CEFM (continuous electronic fetal monitoring)

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alwayssmile

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Greetings all,
My wife is due Oct 2013. OB is supportive of VBAC. Wife has one child in Apr 2009 through c-section which was an extremely disappointing experience. She has her heart set on a VBAC. However, through our research we found that different positions and mother movement is important to help the labor progress. OB wants wife strapped down to the bed with CEFM. She wants to keep tabs on the baby's heartbeat but this would mean my wife is stuck in bed in the supine position (laying on back).

Any thoughts? Anyone give vaginal birth in purely supine position with no movement? How do I convince the OB on a compromise? Is one hour on, one off CEFM feasible?
July 21st, 2013, 02:51 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Welcome!

I recently had a twin VBAC laying flat on my back the whole time. It wasn't comfortable or fun at all, but yes, it is possible. I constantly wanted to lay on my side, walk, squat...anything! but was kept on my back.

Some doctors who will let you off of the monitors 40 minutes every hour, and then do the monitoring for the other 20 minutes. Depending on your situation, you may be able to move around some with the monitor on. It totally depends on your doctor, the rules of the hospital, the rules of their insurance, etc. I would definitely talk to her OB and see if you can work something out.

I think in your situation, staying at home as long as possible before going to the hospital will be important. When you are laboring at home (or in the parking lot or a nearby hotel or wherever you choose to do so), you can play by your own rules and do whatever feels most productive for the labor.

Have you looked into hiring a doula? A doula can help you create a birth plan that is most conducive to the birth your wife wants, and will also be there to support her during labor, delivery, after the birth, and some visit you at home afterwards. They know a ton of positions to help labor progress, ways to relieve pain, and they can help you decide when it is time to head to the hospital.

I hope that helps! Good luck and congrats on expanding your family!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

July 22nd, 2013, 07:42 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! So nice to see you gathering information and learning too. My husband's support made the biggest difference.

1. My first piece of advice is to find another provider if at all possible. Requiring a mom to stay on her back is not VBAC friendly in the least bit. But I know many areas aren't VBAC friendly at all (I went to another city an hour away for mine)......

2. STAY HOME AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. I ignored my providers written instructions and went with what the midwives hinted at (my practice had both CNMs and OBs)....stay home till you have no doubt that you'll be having a baby soon. Since I didn't want to be traveling an hour during the middle of intense labor we drove up in early labor and I spent a few hours in a hotel room. By the time I showed up to the hospital I was 7 cm. By the time monitors were in place (wireless, so I could move!!!) I was 8 and on my way to 9. Honestly continuos monitoring was a requirement of the hospital and not one that my practice thought was in the best interest of a VBAC mom and baby. If an OB won't let you move around chances are he's not going to let you do off and on monitoring even though it's in your best interest to do so. My practice told me that if wireless wasn't available I'd be able to have on and off monitoring (20 minute strip every hour or so) until pushing.

3. You didn't ask this, but I highly recommend Hypnobabies. I did the self study and felt it helped me tremendously with my long labor and birth. It kept me calm and focused, it helped me know when I should get myself to the hospital and when I wasn't ready yet, and it gave my husband so much information for him to be a better birth partner for me. I agree with looking into a doula. I didn't have one, but for so many it's what made the biggest difference for them!
HeatherLyn429 likes this.

August 2nd, 2013, 06:30 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
I agree about finding another provider. That position is not good at all, you want to be up, moving, encoraging baby to drop, the weight of gravity pushing the baby's head on your cervix. I walked, bounced on a ball, sat in a rocking chair, hugged dh and swayed my hips....everything BUT laying in a bed. I had the monitor on the whole time.
I'd really encourage you to find a more vbac friendly doctor or midwife. Most OB's claim to be supportive of VBAC but a TRUE supportive doctor would not give his patient stipulations like that.
My old OB, that hospital did not have portable monitors, so he did the hr off hr on & did period checks in between with the doppler when I was in the tub.
That is what a vbac friendly doctor does.
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"

Last edited by HeatherLyn429; August 2nd, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
August 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pregnant with my second baby right now but I will tell you a little of the labor for my first. I was on continuous monitoring. That's hospital policy apparently for everyone, vbac or not. The wires and iv lines were long enough I could get up and get out of bed. Granted, I couldn't walk around, but I was at least able to lean on the bed or DH. The nurse did have to keep coming in to readjust the monitors though. She didnt seem to mind too much. I learned enough from watching her I just started doing it myself and she would come in when I couldn't find baby after a minute of trying.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search