Log In Sign Up

VBAC hopeful


Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By melaniek85

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
October 23rd, 2013, 11:32 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Md
Posts: 3,435
Hey ladies! I had a c section last Nov and I'm 23 weeks pregnant. My ob is not allowing me to attempt a vbac because They require 18 months between births to attempt one, it will only be 14.5 months between. I agreed to the c section but hoped I'd go into labor on my own and make it ti the hospital just in time to push lol. I recently decided that I'm not ok with scheduling a c section, I feel like I have to try for a vbac. If it ends in c section thats fine but at least I tried. So, I've been looking for someone who will let me attempt a vbac and I found a midwife who like 12 months between! She's reviewed my c section records and says I'm good to try. I am going to set up an appointment and talk with her. Last week I was told that the placenta is close to my cervix, so that may be an issue (I don't have much info yet, the US tech mentioned it)

Oh, little background. First pregnancy I went into labor on my own at 40+6 weeks. Got to 10 cm and 100% in about 11 hours. The reason they gave for the c section was failure to progress because ds head wouldn't go past station 0...I never even got a chance to push Then he started having heart distress after they broke my water.

Anyway, I'm super scared and nervous but excited to try. Who here is attempting their first vbac? Who has had a successful vbac? Anyone attempting or had a vbac with less than 18 months between births?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
October 23rd, 2013, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,396
Hi there!

I'm attempting a vbac as well. I'd rather not even schedule the csection but according to DH, that is not an option and must be scheduled before 40 weeks. I'll be showing him the risks soon and hopefully can change his mind to at least let me go a few days past 40 weeks. It's not helping my OB was using scare tactics to get to DH. I so want to change drs and may well do that.
__________________
Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.




Reply With Quote
  #3  
October 23rd, 2013, 08:16 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Md
Posts: 3,435
Hey! We are in Feb ddc together!

My ob didn't even give me the option of a vbac, they scheduled my c section for 39 weeks too. Sorry about the ob not being more supportive and trying scare you into a RCS. Hopefully you can change your DH mind or at least convince him to let you schedule it for later. Luckily my DH wants me to have the birth I want and he knows there really isn't a higher risk trying a vbac. I had to switch Dr and decided a midwife would be the best choice for me to get the birth I want. I hope everything works out for you and you get to attempt a vbac!
SkyBaby likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
October 23rd, 2013, 10:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,396
That's why I'm so excited to see you here. Yay for taking charge of your options and not just following things blindly! I am so glad you found such a supportive mw. I wish there's a good one in my area lol.

DH's work week has been super hectic so I don't want to overwhelm him with information and talk to him when he's so exhausted so I'm not gonna bring it up just yet. Maybe over the weekend since this weekend should prove to be quieter than the last.
__________________
Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.




Reply With Quote
  #5  
October 28th, 2013, 11:38 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Md
Posts: 3,435
Thanks! It really wasn't easy to find someone who supports vbac.


Did you talk to dh about it? I hope you can convince him to let you do it or at least push the c section date back.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
October 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniek85 View Post
Thanks! It really wasn't easy to find someone who supports vbac.


Did you talk to dh about it? I hope you can convince him to let you do it or at least push the c section date back.
I haven't talked to DH about it yet, but I do have the websites bookmarked I want him to read. What's confusing is he says he's ok with me going into labor and yet wants to schedule the csection before I even have a chance all because the OB scared DH with the "the risk of complications and stillbirth and death of the mother increases beyond 39 weeks" sort of stuff. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why does my OB think 40 weeks and beyond is potentially deadly?
__________________
Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.




Reply With Quote
  #7  
November 2nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Roberts, Wisconsin
Posts: 14,802
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I would recommend getting in touch with your local ICAN network and talk with people who have VBACd successfully around your area. I know you said that you found a midwife which is fantastic! I know the OB that I used for both of my VBACs will do VBACs whenever. He doesn't give a set amount of time between the births but does say that it's much safer 12 months between births.

There are plenty of sites that give statistics for RCS vs VBAC but here is the image that my OB (who is very VBAC friendly... He does VBAmC all the time. Last I heard he was taking on a mom VBA4C!) showed me when I had the consult with him for my first VBAC 4 years ago! Hope this helps.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
November 4th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 7,032
I'm attempting my first vbac after 2 cesarians. My OB seems supportive so far, though he's stating that in order to allow me to attempt, I have to allow a lot of interventions. The hospital that I plan on giving birth in has one of the lowest cesarian rates in town, and has history of successful VBAmC's. He has not scheduled a cesarean date yet, but if he tries to, I'll probably throw a fit. I plan on throwing a lot of fits once I go into labor to get out of the interventions too. I'm due around late March/Early April...so I figure I'll start having to fight for my VBA2C as the time gets closer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
November 6th, 2013, 08:33 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Md
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaby View Post
I haven't talked to DH about it yet, but I do have the websites bookmarked I want him to read. What's confusing is he says he's ok with me going into labor and yet wants to schedule the csection before I even have a chance all because the OB scared DH with the "the risk of complications and stillbirth and death of the mother increases beyond 39 weeks" sort of stuff. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why does my OB think 40 weeks and beyond is potentially deadly?
I'm not sure, I haven't heard that. I know my ob schedules the rcs at 39 weeks to avoid going into labor but that's if you're not attempting a vbac.

Any update? Have you talked with dh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara22 View Post
I'm attempting my first vbac after 2 cesarians. My OB seems supportive so far, though he's stating that in order to allow me to attempt, I have to allow a lot of interventions. The hospital that I plan on giving birth in has one of the lowest cesarian rates in town, and has history of successful VBAmC's. He has not scheduled a cesarean date yet, but if he tries to, I'll probably throw a fit. I plan on throwing a lot of fits once I go into labor to get out of the interventions too. I'm due around late March/Early April...so I figure I'll start having to fight for my VBA2C as the time gets closer.
Good luck! I hope you have a mostly intervention free vbac!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
November 6th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,396
Well.. DH and I talked about it more and I explained the statistics to him regarding specifically the risks of letting pregnancy continue beyond 42 weeks. I told him 39 weeks is only done to avoid labor but i want to labor. I told my OB first thing when he mentioned scheduling the csection that 39 weeks is way jumping the gun here and that I won't even have a chance. I explained to DH the leading reason for failure of a vbac is because OBs put impossibly high criteria for the mom to meet. Basically everything needs to go perfect, like silly Hollywood birth scene perfect.

After all of that, DH says he trusts me and that if waiting to 40 weeks for the csection is what I'd prefer than he's ok with it. He is not at all ok with letting me not schedule the csection because of course the OB scared him with all that unplanned csection= increased risk of injury stuff. I still need to get him to understand that not scheduling the csection will give me the best chance of going natural.

At least him being ok with waiting to 40 weeks is a step in the right direction.
__________________
Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.




Reply With Quote
  #11  
November 7th, 2013, 08:45 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 61,642
Good luck with everything. I have had two vbacs but they weren't closely spaced. I hope everything goes well for you and I'm glad you found a midwife you can work with.
__________________


Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0