Do you feel that your c-section could have been avoided?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2013, 07:53 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I don't have too many issues about my c-section because I think it was a situation where it really was best for my baby. When I was pregnant with Brandon, I woke up when I was 33 weeks to bright red bleeding. By the time we were heading to the hospital I was having contractions. It turns out that my placenta abrupted (this happened with Shawn too). They stopped my labor with magnesium for a while and then they decided it was best if I had him. He went into distress when I was 9 centimeters. I was very disappointed because I had labored to that point with no meds or anything, but I feel that they made the best decision. If he wasn't in distress and premature, I might feel differently about their call, but I'd rather have a healthy baby and a c-section. I think there are cases, like mine, where a csection is the best call.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
November 7th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree there certainly are cases where a csection is the safest option and it sounds like yours was one of those.

As for me and my csection, I'm not sure if it could have been avoided. Lily was fine in there and was dealing with even the roughest of the pitocin contractions just fine with no heart decelerations, even after my 44 hours total (28 hours med free, got the epidural so I could sleep, then labor stalled so pit was needed the final 16 hours). I fully dilated and pushed for 3 hours but she wasn't moving down. It turned out she was in a bad position.

Her head was very tilted to the point where my pushing gave her a misshapen head because she was trying to mold to my pelvis (plagiocephaly). I know my pushes were strong. She also was born with a condition that resulted in poor development of the muscles on one side of her neck, resulting in her needing physical therapy until she was several months old to strengthen and stretch those muscles.

My OB is trying to pull the cephalopelvic disproportion thing on me telling me she was too big for my pelvis when real cases of that are very rare. That is way over diagnosed. He is convinced I'll have a csection this time, too. I wish he'd blame her failure to descend on the real, well documented problem: her position. I can't find a better OB or midwife in my area just by googling, otherwise I'd gladly switch.

I don't know if that could have been avoided, but at the time, a csection was the only way she was coming. I think even a more natural birth friendly OB or midwife would have made the same call.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

November 7th, 2013, 04:58 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
There are definetley situations where c sections are neccassary but I'm not sure mine was. I now think it could have been avoided but it seemed like the right choice at the time. I was fully dilated and effaced about 10 hours after labor started. Never had a chance to even try to push. Frankie was at station 0 and didn't come down any further. They also broke my water and that's when he started having distress. I think if I wouldn't have had the epi, I could have walked and got him down or if they didn't break my water he may not have went into distress and I could have labored longer.

November 8th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
My c-section was absolutely necessary since my placenta was completely covering my cervix and I couldn't labor naturally. I am just as anxious about finding out placenta placement in this pregnancy as I am about finding out the gender!

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
November 8th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do not feel like mine was necessary at all. In fact I still feel like they led me on the path to a C Section from the moment I got to the hospital. I won't go into all the details since I'm mobile but my body was doing exactly what it needed to yet they kept forcing unnecessary interventions on me which led to the C Section. This was why I was hell bent on my VBAC. Fast forward 3 years later-after having an all natural birth with only 4 hours of labor it further convinces me my body can do it and probably would have been able to do it back then had they just given me a real chance. Hell they didn't even let me push! ! Not once!

December 7th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
completely necessary and unavoidable. Had a placental abruption at 35 weeks with no labor in sight and baby failing BPP.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 13th, 2014, 06:14 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
No, my c/section was because I had severe Pre-eclampsia and was headed into Eclampsia FAST. There was no time to wait and try to induce labor.
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
January 17th, 2014, 10:48 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
Hmmm, I think it was needed. My son was posterior and his neck was tilted in such a way that he was not fitting. I pushed for 3 hours all natural on pitocin and had had enough.

I've read that pitocin can cause the baby to be in a bad position and I didn't need it. My contractions had slowed to 3-4 minute spacing and I started falling asleep around 8 CMs, so the midwife suggested pitocin and said baby would be out in no time.

Had I napped a bit and not had pitocin, I might have been able to push in more positions for longer, and maybe my son would have turned into a better position. I dunno. I'm at peace with it but would really like a VBAC this time around.
January 18th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarha81 View Post
Hmmm, I think it was needed. My son was posterior and his neck was tilted in such a way that he was not fitting. I pushed for 3 hours all natural on pitocin and had had enough.

I've read that pitocin can cause the baby to be in a bad position and I didn't need it. My contractions had slowed to 3-4 minute spacing and I started falling asleep around 8 CMs, so the midwife suggested pitocin and said baby would be out in no time.

Had I napped a bit and not had pitocin, I might have been able to push in more positions for longer, and maybe my son would have turned into a better position. I dunno. I'm at peace with it but would really like a VBAC this time around.
I have read many cases where the body slows down labor and takes a bit of a break and then things pick back up after that resting period. Things might have turned out differently for you. I think pitocin is too much of a crutch for drs and mws and needs to be used less.

My daughter was poorly positioned, too. For some strange reason, OBs like to blame poor position on the mom's pelvis being too small when truly small pelvises are rare. My OB gave me the same small pelvis explanation, when I think it has yet to be proven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

January 20th, 2014, 09:35 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
And my birth plan even said no pitocin unless medically, it was necessary. It was NOT necessary when it was given to me, but unfortunately in my haze of painful natural childbirth, I was easily convinced it was the right thing to do. Bleh. Never again.
February 6th, 2014, 09:22 PM
MandyMae833's Avatar Regular
I was 10cm and got a spinal block and his heart rate dropped so they rushed me for an emergency c section. If it wasnt for the spinal block I would not of had one but the epidural could not be put in so they did the block without my permission.
February 9th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Mine was definitely needed. I was induced with just cervadil no pitocin. Contractions started at around 12:45 pm. By 4:45pm I was 9 cm but when they checked my cervix "they felt something off/wrong" and the baby's heart rate kept dropping or they'd lose it all together when I was contracting. My daughter was so small and had a lot of fluid around her so even with her in the position and partly in the birth canal, she flopped to her back and stuck her chin out. Every time I had a contraction her neck would bend and her heart rate would drop! Would definitely like to try VBAC with next baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search