Looking for a little encouragement...

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am just over 38 weeks pregnant due with my second child and have been hoping to have a vbac this time around. I am a good candidate because my prior c/s was because the baby was in frank breech position and I had low fluid and my c/s was over 3 years ago. They were also predicting by ultrasound that he was 7 lbs 7 oz at 37 weeks. When he was delivered at 37.5 weeks he was 6 lbs 7 oz.

This time, my baby girl is cooperating. She is head down and in anterior position and I haven't had any complications or issues at all this pregnancy. I actually feel great. At my appointment today I had not progressed at all from last week and my OB raised some concerns about how to proceed since the baby is measuring big. At an ultrasound last week they estimated her weight at 7 lbs 15 oz. Based on past experience I am very skeptical about their estimate. I watched all of the measurements
as they took them. Stomach was right on schedule, legs were a little ahead (but we will have tall children) and the head was the only measurement that was significantly ahead of schedule, measuring 40 weeks. The tech herself said that is the hardest measurement to get right because if they get the angle wrong it can really distort things.

Given all of this my OB's concern seems to be that he doesn't want me to go too long if the baby is big since I am attempting a vbac. I personally would like to see if labor happens on its own. If it doesn't by 41 weeks (or if some issue surfaces with baby's health earlier) I would probably consider a scheduled c/s. But I don't see the harm in going that long or why I should have to make a decision too early about having another c/s. I just don't want to get pressured into another c/s based on a weight estimate that I am highly skeptical of.

February 5th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't remember what they estimated my daughter's weight to be at the very end. She was born by csection after two days of labor at 9 pounds and 2 ounces. You're so right the estimates can be so off. I hear its up to 2 pounds in either direction. I'd say give your body time to try. I went into spontaneous labor with my daughter the night before I was scheduled to be induced, 10 days late.

Also though, small pelvises are something OBs like to throw around as an explanation why csections were needed and one thing my OB told me. In csections, I almost always hear small pelvis given as a reason. The reality is, true cephalopelvic disproportion (baby's head is too big for mom's pelvis) is quite rare and there are lots and lots of stories of women having successful vbacs with babies substantially larger than their csection babies.

Actually, position of the baby is much more telling. My daughter was born asynclictic, meaning her head was tilted. My labor was augmented with pitocin after I got the epidural (the typical cascade of interventions) and I was kept flat on my back so there was no way she could have repositioned herself with the constant contractions squeezing her nor was I able to position myself to help her. I don't know why OBs like to always bring up the small pelvis thing. It really doesn't make any sense to me that that is the one thing they always bring up and other issues like baby's positioning are ignored.

Today was my due date with my second baby and we are officially "late" tomorrow. By the way, due dates are a guesstimation at best, not an expiration date. My OB thinks my pelvis can't handle a baby bigger than 6-7 pounds. Because of a scheduling mix up last week, I saw a different OB and he said, after checking my cervix and feeling my pelvis a little, that I could have handled my 9 pound daughter if she wasn't malpositioned and could most definitely handle my now ~8 pound son (according to growth ultrasound). I will update on this board when he arrives, by repeat csection or successful vbac.

I found this website about cpd and supposed small pelvises a very informative and encouraging read:
Small Pelvis? Here's The Truth About Cephalopelvic Disproportion (CPD)

Hope my story and this website helped.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

February 6th, 2014, 08:26 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
If you really want to attempt a vbac, you should. I think asking to wait till 41 weeks before scheduling a c section is a great idea, gives your body some time to go Into labor. Also, you're right the weight estimates can be way off. I've seen so many women being told they were having "big" babies but end up having average size babies.

I'm also 38 weeks. I had a c section with my son, he was 9 lbs 1 oz. Looking back I'm really unsure why they pushed the c section, they said failure to progress because he didn't go past station 0 and fetal distress. I've now switched to a midwife and she told me that having another baby that's over 9 lbs slightly lowers my vbac success rate but it's no reason to not try. I don't know the estimated size of this baby.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us updated!!
February 6th, 2014, 08:59 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I think you sound like the perfect VBAC candidate! I was pressured into scheduling a c-section with my first (she was breech) and refused...there's no reason to schedule anything since baby will come when she's ready Good luck...I hope you get your VBAC!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 6th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies for sharing your perspectives and advice. I read the CPD article and it was very enlightening. My OB hasn't specifically mentioned that as an issue and really can't because he has no data to base it on. I think he is just wanting to make sure that I realize c-sectionis still a possibility, but I knew that all along. My first child has had a lot of respiratory issues (repeated croup requiring hospitalization, borderline asthma, etc) and I've always wondered if the fact that I didn't labor at all before he was delivered may be a factor. So I really at least want to give the labor process a try this time.

SkyBaby and melaniek85 - best wishes to both of you for uncomplicated deliveries and healthy babies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search