We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and hoping to get some input if possible!
Here's a little back history-
I had had 3 previous vaginal births–all were induced with pitocin, all had epidurals, waters never broke on their own, and all had episiotomies. None came out easy, especially #3-I didn’t know until after, but we experienced shoulder dystocia–HER weight was 9 lbs 1 oz @ 41 weeks. She came out with breathing difficulties that they thought was a result of the SD, but it is a totally unrelated neurological condition that she was just born with.
Because of all this, when I became pregnant with #4 four months later, they immediately shouted "csection!" and wouldn’t hear anything else about it. I felt bullied and cornered into a section, but I didn’t know my options. Had the section. Everything was fine.
Now I am pregnant with #5. As soon as I got the positive pregnancy test, I KNEW I would shoot for a vbac. I hated having a csection for many reasons–main one being how invasive it was. I have a Dr. that is willing to do a TOLAC (who is an hour away from me–local hospital has a ban), but wants to induce at 39 weeks to avoid another big baby.
I was comfortable with that, until I started to do my research on chances of uterine rupture. Now, I feel very discouraged and fearful. I have a LOT stacked against me–prior shoulder dystocia, prior cesarean, planned induction, planned epidural.
Am now beginning to think that a csection, now matter how horrible I think it is and how much I dislike it, might be the safer option for my baby. I just don’t know.
Anyone have experience in this area? Thanks so much!!
I don't have any personal experience with induced vbacs, but just wanted to say good luck and that I'll be praying for you. I will say though, there are other methods to induce labor where pitocin isn't necessary. Why were you induced for your other deliveries if you don't mind me asking?
Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.
In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.
My midwives won't induce with meds, so I have no experience with that. I have heard of other vbac ladies that have been induced with low doses of pitocin and didn't have any problems. Like said above, there are other methods to try to induce before using pitocin, like membrane sweeps and foley bulb. Maybe you could ask your dr about trying another method before going to pitocin? As for the epidural, I did have one with my vbac, I got it after 50 hours of labor (25 of that was active labor) and was at 10cm..I was still successful and it caused no issues for me.
I haven;t researched since my last (who is 9yo) but everywhere I read stated that inducing with a vbac is dangerous. Most hospitals won't do it.
I also have issues delivering and tried for a vbac... waited my little man out until I gave in and c/s at 42 week 5 days.
I sincerely hope you go into labor on your own and have a fabulous birth!!!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby! My blog
I was induced with my second child after a c-section with my first. Was induced 10 days before due date - doctors explanation for not waiting was that he didn't want baby to be too big. Hated the induction itself but obviously not the result :-) Was induced at around 20h00 and Kian was born at around23h35....with a little help from the forceps at the end.
I was induced with my second daughter on week 37 due to high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia.
I really wanted to have a vaginal birth after the first csection with my first daughter (this one was planned because she was breech). I labored with Pitocin and no epidural (they didn't connect it properly) for 22 hours before I had to still go in for a csection
I am prego with #3 and its a definite csection this time.
My first child, my water broke at 37 weeks after 2 + days of no progression, even with pitocin, and risk of infection I agreed to a c-section. Everything went smooth.
With my second I was sure I wanted a Vbac, felt it would be better for the baby and I wanted to experience a vaginal birth. I think I felt a bit cheated of that experience with the section. I had an epidural & was close to 9 cm and my uterus ruptured, I was raced to an emergency csection(thank God my doctor was checking me moments after I ruptured). My son was outside my womb and the placenta was detached. He was resuscitated and incubated, put in the nicu, though after much time and testing he is fine.
I read all the statistics and never thought I could be part of that small percentage of ruptures. I'm not telling you to not attempt a vbac, just to make sure you have the upmost trust in the doctors and hospital you are delivering in. And make sure you explore the reasons you are attempting it. For me it was more for myself, and now I feel a bit selfish I placed my son in that situation. Do not under any circumstances allow them to use anything that may induce your labor. The risk of rupture is so much greater. Most woman have successful healthy vbacs. There are also risks to c-sections. I guess when I was researching this I wish I was able to discuss this with people who experienced the other side and that's why I'm telling you my story. I'm currently expecting twins and will be having an early csection to avoid labor.