Im new here, im wondering if anyone had this experience. im hoping on vbac this time

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By carlyknudtson
  • 2 Post By Kinsma90

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
Veteran
Hi im Carly and im hoping to have a vbac, my previous birth experience was horrible. With my first son being breech, my only option was c-section, i didnt like the idea at all but the way he was positioned there was no way he could come out without major risk to him and i. I eventually got used to the idea, the morning of the cs wasnt too bad but i dreaded the epidural and i was right to cause i felt shooting pain in my hip when they put the needle in.After that the wait was endless it seemed like, but finally we got into the OR and it was very uuncomfortable first of all i was on the table laying there for what
seemed like forever again uncovered from the waist down, it felt very awkward . When they finally started i should have been completly numb, but wasnt i could still feel pain and i was maxed out on the epidural. So they decided without even asking me at all, to put me completely out. I didnt get to hear my babies first cries or anything . I didnt wake up for 3 hours after he was born, and was very very foggy i dont remember almost any of the first day.
I am very very excited about the prospect of a vbac

Any advice on what to expect or what i should be asking about , im very worried about uterine rupture, anything to ease my worries would help

Also has anyone else been put completely out . i would like to hear other stories , and if anyone has a successful vbac please share

Last edited by carlyknudtson; June 23rd, 2014 at 08:21 PM.
June 23rd, 2014, 12:53 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Hello! I'm sorry to hear about your horrible c section experience I had a successful vbac in Feb, it was 15 months after my c section. My c section was an emergency c section but I wasn't put out. I was also very worried about uterine rupture, it's a normal worry, but the risk of uterine rupture is actually very low.

You'll want to find out how your dr feels about vbac's and if they allow them. I used a midwife because my ob wouldn't allow me to try a vbac, midwives tend to have higher success rates for vbac and are more supportive (at least in my area). The questions I had for my provider were: how long am I given to go into labor? Thoughts on vbac induction (because I didn't want one)? What's their vbac success rate? Their vbac labor protocol (where I went it was required to be in the hosp, continuous monitoring and no water birth). These were important questions to me that I wanted answers for my vbac, you may have more or different questions you'd want to ask.

I went into labor on my own and my son was born at 40+6 weeks. I was in active back labor for 31 hours. After 26+ hours I got an epidural and was able to rest before pushing. He was sunny side up, so my labor was long and painful. He didn't engage because of his position but I was able to practice push him out in less than 30 mins, thankfully he turned while pushing. He was 8lbs 11oz. I torn a bit but it was Nothing compared to a c section incision, the vbac recovery was so easy. My vbac was one of the best experiences of my life.

I hope others share their success stories too and can add any questions for your dr.
June 23rd, 2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran
Thank you for the great story and stuff it really helped.Wow the babies name is Ronin, i was seriously considering that name for my baby
But i think we decided on Reid.

My doc said vbac is ok as long as Reid stayed head down
June 28th, 2014, 01:26 AM
deaths final kiss's Avatar Super Mommy
My first was a csec as well. It was an emergency, he tied himself up in the cord and was in distress. I was put out completely, and I was terrified when I woke up in the recovery room, alone, with no baby.

Anyway, I had my heart set on a vbac with my 2nd. Some doctors/hospitals won't allow them, so I was prepared to have to drive to a different one if that was the case, lol. My doctor had to share my medical record with the other doctors that could be on call when I delivered (small town...), and the surgeon that did all the csecs in town. Everything went smoothly, I ended up doing it all naturally. #3 was a vbac as well, and I had a different doctor/hospital.

GL

Angels 3-27-04 9wks, 6-2-14 8w5d

June 28th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Uterine rupture is very rare. Less than 1%. Those statistics change depending on what kind of uterine incision you have, any labor augmentation (pitocin) used for the vbac labor, etc. I suggest finding out what kind of uterine incision you have from your dr. What you see on your skin isn't necessarily the same as the incision on your uterus. Low transverse uterine incision (low down and horizontal) is ideal. Low transverse is the most common today. Classical (vertical uterine incision) has a higher chance of rupture in vbac labor and there are times when that incision is called for. The use of pitocin and other contraction stimulators can increase your chance of rupture, depending on the size of the dose. (Pitocin and some other labor augmentations increase the risk of rupture for first time moms too)

My first baby (daughter) was a csection after 2 days of labor (pitocin and epidural) and 3 hours of unproductive pushing. She was crooked. There was no way she was coming out naturally. My incision was low transverse and got the go ahead to try for vbac on my post operation check up. My OB wasn't very supportive though. He was going to "let me" try, after some arguing, but didn't think I could do it.

My son was born by vbac after 12 hours of labor and 2 malfunctioning epidurals and a second degree episiotomy. Stitches down stairs was so much easier than a csection. I've come to the decision I am not delivering in a hospital again unless I have to. Even my nurse husband who was completely against vbac early in my sons pregnancy, is convinced. I hope to find a midwife and birth center for next time, and hope I can get my husband on board with that, too.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

June 28th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran
Thank you for the great stories, and putting my mind more at ease.
SkyBaby and deaths final kiss like this.
July 1st, 2014, 10:43 PM
Kinsma90's Avatar Impatiently Waiting
The thing about uterine rupture is that there is about a 0.5% (slightly higher in some studies) risk of them, which a lot of drs round to 1%, but that doesn't necessarily mean devastation. It could be a very tiny tear. Yes, it will result in another c-section but the chances of you and/or the baby dying or having long term damage from the rupture are MUCH smaller. Something like 0.005%. Think of it like this, if you drive a car you have X amount of risk of being in a car accident but only Y amount of risk of it being fatal. To the best of my understanding, there is actually more risk in a repeat c-section than there is of a catastrophic uterine rupture.
SkyBaby and deaths final kiss like this.
July 2nd, 2014, 03:43 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsma90 View Post
The thing about uterine rupture is that there is about a 0.5% (slightly higher in some studies) risk of them, which a lot of drs round to 1%, but that doesn't necessarily mean devastation. It could be a very tiny tear. Yes, it will result in another c-section but the chances of you and/or the baby dying or having long term damage from the rupture are MUCH smaller. Something like 0.005%. Think of it like this, if you drive a car you have X amount of risk of being in a car accident but only Y amount of risk of it being fatal. To the best of my understanding, there is actually more risk in a repeat c-section than there is of a catastrophic uterine rupture.

Wow that is very helpful thank you!!!!!!
August 6th, 2014, 06:38 PM
ArmyWife06's Avatar Proud Army Wife
Wow! I have almost the same exact story! It's nice to hear I'm not the only one. My daughter was breach and I had to have an emergency c-section, my fluids were dangerously low. I blacked out right after they pulled her out. I woke up two hours later. I am hoping for a VBAC too.

August 9th, 2014, 10:24 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a crash c-section with my first due to being pitted to distress, so I also know the feelings of not hearing your babies first cry, or being the first to hold him...

I did go on to have 2 vbac (one natural, one induced, no pain meds) with 2 different midwives in 2 different states. though I do have to travel over an hour for my current midwife as there is vbac ban in he state I live.

much luck to you!!!!!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search