Anyone like to join me?! Board revival.

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Erin.EB
  • 1 Post By JNIEVES

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2016, 12:19 PM
Erin.EB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello!

My name is Erin and I am pregnant with my second child. My due date is Valentine's day 2017. My first pregnancy was a BREEZE but labor and delivery were awful and I wound up with what I fought so hard to avoid... a csection. This time around I am very hopeful for a VBAC and a bonus would be unmedicated (I was unmedicated or my first until not long before my csection).

I would love to hear your story and what you are hoping for this time around. Or, if you have already had a VBAC, success stories are even better!!
MommyMint07 likes this.

July 27th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I had an unplanned successful vbac. My first labor and delivery with my DD was a nightmare. Induction/bad position/40 hours of labor. I ended up pushing for 2 hours which did nothing to bring her down and had to have a C-Section. During the C I had alot of bleeding and ended up needing a transfusion. Overall not something I ever wanted to repeat.

When I got prego with my DS I switched doctors. At around 20 weeks we started talking about delivery options. I opted for a scheduled C. They felt that due to the bleeding and extended labor with my first that it was unlikely I would deliver vaginal, and possibly risky, but totally left the ball in my court. After discussion with the hubs we both felt it was better to just put it on the calendar and be done with it.

Fast forward to 38 weeks. I found myself in labor naturally - My dd was 5 days late - in the middle of a blizzard. I got to the hospital and by the time they checked me I was already 4cm dilated. While I was given the option to have a C-section my docs felt that since labor was progressing fast and naturally & since my son was in an "optimal" position for delivery that I should try and vbac. SO we discussed the options and since ultimately the worst case scenario was that I would once again push for a couple hours and end up with an emergency C that we would do a trial of labor.

After just over 8 hours of labor and about 30 minutes of pushing he was out. I had some tearing as he was 7lb 15oz with a 14" head (I'm under 120lbs size 0 not prego) and he came really fast. I went from 7cm to fully dilated and pushing in just over an hour. I also had some bleeding, but since I now had a history of it the doctors were prepared and in addition to Pitocin post delivery I ended up getting a shot of Methergine (sp?) to try and get my uterus to contract down quicker.

I'm not really sure which option I would choose if I were to have another kid. I didn't really enjoy either birth - but for totally different reasons.

Anyway. That's my story. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. I did have an epidural but it didn't work. I also know the hospital I delivered at did require an IV for a vbac just in case they needed to get a line in quickly for fluids/blood.

Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy.
MommyMint07 likes this.
September 26th, 2016, 01:30 PM
I had my 1st son via emergency C-section in 2013. I went into L&D with mild contractions at 37 weeks, but they were timed enough to be considered labor. I had a high risk pregnancy with him, which is why they didn't want me to wait to come in. I get to L&D, and they strap me into the monitors, and we wait. With each contraction though, his heart rate kept dropping. They gave me the shot to stop the contractions for a while to see if it would help. Nope.
Finally, after having the epidural done, and Pitocin started, 1 hour later his heart stopped. They rushed me to OR, where they got me ready for a C-section. Problem: I felt them cutting into me. The epidural didn't work. So they had to put me completely under with general anesthesia. Next thing I knew, I woke up, no belly, and no idea where my son was. I FLIPPED out until they put him on my chest. Healthy (but small) baby boy.
I later learned the cord was wrapped around his neck in a way that only when I had contractions, it choked him.
I did have mild PPD, because I didn't get to push. I felt like less of a mom. But I know that isn't true, it's just how I felt for a while.

Now, I am almost 31 weeks pregnant with another baby boy. At 20 weeks, they told me I had low-lying placenta previa, and if my placenta didn't move by 28 weeks, I would have to do a C-section, again. This was a blow. From the beginning, I wanted a VBAC. Luckily, my placenta in fact, DID move up, so now we are continuing to plan for a VBAC.

I am excited, but scared all at once. I get to actually see my child being born, I get to push, I get to feel what labor is like. I am scared of L&D though...I don't know what true labor feels like, or what it's like to push. Also, they said they will NOT induce me at all, due to the previous C-section. Parts of me wants to schedule a C-section, just so I know exactly when this baby will come, but mostly, I want to know what it feels like to TRY, to have that pain for the ultimate reward. I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes to plan!
June 26th, 2017, 06:58 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I don't really check out the VBAC boards anymore, because in my head I don't count myself as a "VBAC mom". I had a c section in 2012 after 11 hours of labor, my son was still really high up, sunny side up and would not engage even though I was 10 cm. I never pushed, DR told me he wasn't gonna come out, so c section.

My second son was my VBAC. He was due in Feb, so he was born via a successful VBAC about 14.5 months after my c section. I had switched to midwife for his pregnancy/birth and hired a doula and was pretty determined to have him vaginally. He was also sunny side up, so another back labor. I was in labor for a total of 56 hours, with every 3-4 min apart contractions, I made it through 51 hours of that labor unmedicated. I had been at 10 cm for about an hour when my water broke on its own, thats when I decided I needed the epidural. So yeah, I was 10 cm for 6 hours before he was born lol. With the epidural I was finally able to sleep after being awake for 50+ hours. After about 5.5 hours after being 10cm, I was check and found out her was still really high up, not engaged. It was suggested I try practice pushes to help him engage some. I practiced pushed for 20 mins and ended up just pushing him right on out, facing up lol. I got lucky, he wasn't where he needed to be but was positioned just right enough that i could push him through and out.

My 3rd child was born April 2016. I was so confident that I'd have another vbac, had my midwife, birth plan, doula, breathing exercise, excitement for another vaginal and was positive I could do it naturally. Her labor was my most painful, my contractions were every 2-4 minutes and were anywhere from 1-3.5 mins and of course another back labor. I labored at home for 18 hours before going to the hospital. I was 7 cm when I got there and immediately asked for an epidural, I was done with that pain. The epidural did not work, It completely numbed my legs but I was in excruciating pain during contractions, they ended up giving me the highest possible dose of meds, made my legs number but didn't touch the pain. So I was in pain but unable to move or reposition. I asked for them to break my water, hoping it would speed things up, pain got worse, I was 9.5 cm so I decided to wait. She was high up like my other two, I tried practice pushes with the midwives hands in me trying to push my cervix around her head...ouch. She didn't move much with the pushes. Maybe 30 mins later I was check again....8 cm...***? I went back in dilation. I asked for a c section. They put the block through the epidural, I was numb from the chest down but my vagina and butt would not go numb. I lied and said I felt nothing, I just wanted that pain to end. Learned that that area is still affected during a c section...ouch. Got immediate skin to skin in the OR. VBAC fail after 30 hours of labor.

I have a hard time considering myself a VBAC mom, I mean I had one, but wasn't able to do it again. I was just lucky with him that it worked out. My experience with my 3rd was hard mentally on me, I felt like a failure, that what my 1st OB told was right (my body doesn't do vaginal right). We wanted 4 kids but after her birth, I had my husband get his vasectomy, my body sucks at delivery and I'm not doing it again. Sorry for being a downer lol.
July 22nd, 2017, 01:03 PM
Hi Ladies!

My name is Heather and DH and I are TTC baby number 3 (my 3rd his 2nd). I had my daughter August 2003 and then our first baby, our son, August 2008. With my daughter I had an emergency c-section and with my son I had one planned. I am really hoping that since it has been 9+ years (by the time I conceive and deliver) my chances of having a VBAC would be much better as with my son my OB/GYN told me it would be very risky to have a VBAC, I was pretty bummed, but I understood and wanted to be able to be there for my baby and take care of him. I did some research and it seems that VBACs have been more encouraged since 2016 so hopefully I can have one with the last 2 babies we are wanting to have. Has anyone had a successful VBAC after having 2 c-sections or is that pretty much unheard of?

Thank you for the advice/stories and good luck to all you ladies!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search