I have a few questions...

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a few questions..

1.Does being overweight play apart in not being able to have a vaginal birth?

-Im overweight, im 5'8 and im currently 278. I did lose some weight.

2.When they say you have a small pelvic area is that even a real reason to have a csection? i mean shouldnt they let you try for a vaginal instead of assuming you cant do it?

-I was thinking we are women and our bodies are made to change to give birth so i never understood how someone with a small pevlic bone/area couldnt do it KWIM?

3.Does an epidural delay dialation?

-I asked this because im willing to go natural all the way then have a epidural and cause my body to stop dialating and end up with a csection.

4.If i think im in labor should i wait it out for awhile at home?

-I ask this because i dont want them to try any inductions on me

sorry for all the questions but hopefully you can answer them..

September 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
1.Does being overweight play apart in not being able to have a vaginal birth?

I wouldn't think so. I was a bit overweight when I had my VBAC and it went perfectly. I would only think there might pose a problem if a person was super overweight, like to the point of it affecting their mobility, you know? I have read some things onlline that suggest being overweight does increase your chanr for a c-section, but I doubt is has that much effect on it. Especially when all the other factors come into play.

2.When they say you have a small pelvic area is that even a real reason to have a csection? i mean shouldnt they let you try for a vaginal instead of assuming you cant do it?

No, that is NOT a real reason to have a c-section!!! You can never tell how your pelvic bones and the baby's head will work together to expand and mold to let the baby through. And the baby's position and your position while pushing are the most important factors.
My OB told my DH after my c-section that I would never deliver vaginally b/c I had a "small pelvis". Well, guess what! I delivered my 2nd 7lb 10oz baby girl 2 yrs later w/ NO problems and she came out in about 5 pushes!!!

3.Does an epidural delay dialation?

I don't know about that one, but remember an epidural will always increase your chance for a c-section. And also remember that it limits you mobility whichg will keep you in the same position the whoie time, and that's something you do not want! Just always keep in mind that your BEST chance for a successful VBAC is as little intervention as possible...including epidurals.

4.If i think im in labor should i wait it out for awhile at home?

They can't do an induction unless you consent to one...just don't consent to one before 42 weeks! Laboring at home is a good idea. You should labor at home until your contractions are strong enough that you cannot talk during them and have to stop and concentrate and breathe through them and/or when they are consistently no more than 5 minutes apart.
If you wait until then, you'll know for sure that you're in active labor and you won't have to worry about them trying to push labor-inducing interventions on you.

Just remember - as little intervention as possible is the key!!!

You can do it!!!!!!!!

September 5th, 2007, 12:11 PM
momoftwinsand1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dr. advised me to get the epidural. (of course I was 2-3 cm dilated at 36 weeks so we knew I would dilate) He said that way i was ready if something were to go wrong. I had all natural and will NEVER do it again if I have the choice. I have had th epidural 3 times and it never slowed my labor at all.
John Allen 4-4-06, VBAC 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
Paige Belle 5-21-07, VBAC 5 pounds 9 ounces 17 inches
Ava Marie 2-28-09, VBAC 5 pounds 10 ounces,16 1/2 inches
Jackson Douglas 2-13-13, VBAC 6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 inches
September 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
Sandy, my best advice to you when it comes to the epidural is.....just don't make a decision one way or the other about if you want it until you are in labor, in the moment. Keep an open mind. Don't say NO to it, but don't get it unless you feel like you absolutely can't go on without it. Take it one contraction at a time and keep the epidural open as an option but don't get it unless you feel like you HAVE to have it in order to go on. And if you feel like you want it, try some IV pain meds first and see if that helps, then maybe you wont need the epidural. But just always remember that making the choice to get it will increase your chance of a c-section.

September 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
1. THere is always an increased risk of intervention if you are overweight, from what i was told. But, it seems that you took steps to loose some weight so that goes as a positive.

2. A small pelvic area is not a reason for a c-section without even letting you try labor. You see 15 year old girls that are smaller than a size 0 with small pelvic areas have vaginal deliveries all the time.

3. My personal experience was that the epidurals did not delay dilation, but I am sure that every person is different. Just take it as it goes. If you feel you need one, then get it, but you can also try IV meds first which is what I did with #3. I ended up eith an epidural but not until I was 8cm, and it never really worked that well. Just keep an open mind.

4. I would labor at home if you could. You will be more relaxed and more comfortable in your own surroundings.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search