IUI Info

Forum: Trying to Conceive 1 Year +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive 1 Year + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM
PlasticFork's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started to post this in the TTC w/Medical Assistance board, but I'll ask you ladies first. I need to know everything you know about IUI. I literally know almost nothing about it at all, so talk to me as though I am the stupidest person you've ever met.

Do you have to be in a certain physical condition before they'll do IUI? I've heard things about being overweight, etc, but I was thinking that was IVF.

Anyone have any ideas on pricing?

What all is done with IUI?

Anyone know success statistics on IUI?

Who would I go to when having this done? I have an OBGYN, but not an RE, and, honestly, I'm not sure if there is one here. (Of course, I could always go someplace else.)

Should I talk to my OBGYN during my appointment on the 10th about this?

May 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't really answer too many of your questions because I haven't researched into it that completely. I think cost is in the 100's of dollars not thousands like IVF. I don't think you have to be in a certain physical condition, though I am sure they do some screening bloodwork (you may have already had it done.) They put you on some medication to induce ovulation- clomid or something like it. Obviously they monitor follicle size more closely and sometimes they will give a "trigger shot" to actually induce ovulation when the follicles are the right size. Then they inject your DH's sperm through your cervix. I am not sure how high up they go, just into the uterus or actually into the tubes.

The statistics probably depend on what the TTC issue is, I really don't know that one.

And I am not sure who would do it. I am sure it is more common at Re's, but I would think there have to be some regular GYNs that are comfortable doing it. That one is a question for your doctor.

I am glad to see you are still with us.

May 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I don't know much about it. The girls on the TTCMA board should be able to help you out alot more. ONe thing you need to consider in advance though...Kate, from the show Jon and Kate plus 8.....she got her babies from IUI. It's rare....but it does happen. She had 7 eggs released at once, and all were fertilized. One didn't stick though. It's just a safer bet to go into prepared for the chance of getting multiples.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
May 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many follicles develope and eggs available for fertilization is based on what drug they give you to induce ovulation. If you were to stay on clomid, then the chance of twins is there, but not typically too many more than that. There are other drugs out there that will increase your chance of getting pregnant, but they do it by increasing the number of eggs available for fertilization. Those were the drugs that Kate was on.

May 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can tell you what I learned from my Dr..... we decided to skip the IUI and move onto IVF ourselves as I have issues and we also have MFI....

the costs will vary greatly depending on if you are doing a natural (unmedicated) cycle or if you are doing meds.... I think I was quoted unmedicated starting at 1200

if you do a medicated cycle the percentage of success is around 26% but you also run the risk of multiples and the possibility for selective reduction (this is info for the medication that my RE uses, she doent use clomid so I'm unsure if the chance for multiples reduces with that med) an unmedicated cycle has a success rate of around 12%

when an iui is performed they take you DH's sperm and wash it, removing any "bad" sperm as well as seminal fluids, a small catheter is used to place the washed sperm into your uterus next to your tubes. this is done in office and you may have a bit of cramping after.

I don't think weight comes into play with IUI as I've got a few extra on me and that was what we were originally going to go with.

I would talk with your obgyn to see what they recommend as far as who would be best to perform one... I go through my RE for these things but I don't really know if obgyn's can do it

Hope this helps and feel free to pm me with any questions

May 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
PlasticFork's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search