unexplained infertility

Forum: Trying to Conceive 1 Year +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive 1 Year + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM
frankie's Avatar Proud Mommy
Was anyone else told they have unexplained infertility??? Because it's making me crazy... I really just dont get it... If I am unexplained then how come I got pregnant 3 times just none of them ended well? It's not unexplained? There's something wrong... I think I have a progesterone problem... This was the first time they put me on it and I think it was just to late....

SO FRUSTRATED!!! ANYONE ELSE HAVE THESE PROBLEMS IF SO PLEASE SHARE.. WHAT YOUR DOING TO HELP AS WELL...

THANKS!

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder
April 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hi there. You are not alone. I've been told I have unexplained fertility as well. Two miscarriages in 4 months, all before 6 weeks. Has your doctor run any tests? What kind of progesterone did they put you on and when did you start it with your last pregnancy? I took oral Prometrium, 100mg/day, with my last pregnancy and it didn't stop me from miscarrying. I started it 3 dpo. I've often thought I wasn't taking enough. I'm having my progesterone retested this month and we are considering trying again in June. I'm frustrated too and know exactly what you are going through. With all the testing they have been putting me through you would think they would find something but they haven't. On one hand I'm glad my tests are normal but I'm very frustrated because there IS something wrong!!! I've recently started using an OPK and found out I'm ovulating around Day 17. I'm wondering if there is a coorelation between late ovulation and early miscarriage. I hope you find more answers than I am. Good luck to you.
April 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM
they ran every test but they found out 3 days before i was due my progesterone was low i used endometrum didn't work my progesterone dropped to 2.5... I got pregnant 2 times on my own with the help of clomid... They said try IUI i did that spent the money on it got pregnant lost it again they put me on the endometrum now im off of it.. I just feel like the problem isnt GETTING pregnant it's holding it... So they need to figure something out... it's 4,000 dollars each time and I dont mind paying it but hubbys like come on what are we gonna just keep paying till we get it they need to figure out what is wrong so it works.. So confusing

And i o between day 11-14 depends on if i trigger if im on clomid.. its a big old mess

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder

Last edited by frankie; April 10th, 2009 at 10:20 AM.
April 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I'm right there with you ladies. 5 miscarriages, in three years and so far they have found no reason for it. It's very frustrating. Right now we are taking a break from medical assistance for the next few cycle and going back to Clomid after that. I read somewhere that Clomid actually has really low success rates in unexplained infertility where the woman is already ovulating on her own. We are starting to prepare for doing IUI later this year.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
April 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I just read that you need 50 mg of b6 my prenatal vit only has 25mg i read that just 1 level like progesterone being off can stop the whole proccess of it implanting.. An infection like a cold can do it as well.. Funny I am always sick right before i get my period i get horrible sinus infections... I AM SO CONFUSED AND MAD!!!!

April 11th, 2009, 07:07 AM
That's interesting about a cold virus. I also had a cold during my second pregnancy. My prenatal vit has only 10mg. Yikes. You do however, get B6 from things you eat. Geez, we could sit here and analyze these things to death. MountainMomma, have you had an HSG performed? That was the first thing they did on me to rule out any septum in the uterus. I'm also confused about Clomid. Why do doctors prescribe Clomid if you are ovulating on your own? I'm worried that my doctor is going to head me down this path as well. I'm with Frankie, my problem isn't getting pregnant, it's staying pregnant. I've had my progesterone tested before but they didn't do it right. They did it 3 dpo, not 7. And my level was like 9.7 which actually isn't bad for 3dpo. I got pregnant that cycle and they stopped checking this level and started monitoring HCG. It started at 137, jumped to 420 and after that, the doctor seemed satisfied. I pushed for more monitoring but they said I was being paranoid. I knew something was wrong by week 5 as all my symptoms went away. It was just like the first time. By week 6 there was an empty sac on the monitor. So THIS time, I have a new doctor number one! And number two, I don't care what they say, when we do try again, probably in June, I want blood tests of progesterone AND HCG every other day until we know one way or the other. This new doctor seems aggressive about my treatment so I'm optimistic. Sort of. You know how it goes...
April 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I didn't have an HSG done. They were doing a laproscopic surgery to rule out endometriosis (which the doctor and I both were fairly certain I had) and decided to just do a hysteroscopy while I was already in the OR. They still ran the dye through and such like with a HSG, but they were already there and could have fixed anything that came up immediately. I was told that my tubes were clear, ovaries are great and that I have a beautiful uterus.

My progesterone tested a bit low and one point, and I was having very short LP's like 8 or 9 days. They put me on Clomid to make me ovulate earlier and hopefully stronger. I took it for 3 cycles and it did help me ovulate earlier and lengthened my LP to 13 or 14 days. I've been off the Clomid for four cycles, and so far I am still ovulating earlier and having a decent LP, but still no pregnancy. My problem isn't getting pregnant either. I can get pregnant within normal limits for a healthy couple.....its staying pregnant.

We started TTC in March 2006 and 7 months later I got my first BFP. I miscarried and months later BFP #2. Miscarried again, and 3 months later another BFP. Miscarried that one and it was 10 months before the next BFP. I miscarried that one and 2 months later another BFP. It's been 8 months since that one, and still waiting for the next BFP.

All of my losses have been VERY early too. The one that held the longest I lost a 5w1d. I had one doctor who said "those can't even be considered pregnancies" because they weren't confirmed by doctors. My old doctor didn't confirm pregnancies. If you called and had a positive test, he scheduled your first visit between 8 and 12 weeks. I never made it that far.

April 11th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Wow. I'm so sorry for your losses. I hope you didn't listen to that doctor who told you they were real pregnancies. What a crock! Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. My poor husband doesn't know what to do with me these days. I feel like screaming my head off about it 24/7 and he's the opposite. He's very quiet about it all but very supportive. Did your doctor ever put you on progesterone supplements during any of your pregnancies? I'm being very impatient waiting for this next blood test I have to do. This whole process is one big HURRY UP AND WAIT. Ugh. We started TTC in November of 2008. I'm 32 btw. And BAM. First try, BFP. No women in my family are reproductively challenged so it never entered my mind that I would have a problem. At 5 weeks on the nose I started bleeding and had miscarried on my own by that night. ER doctor said probably didn't make it past 4 weeks because my HCG was 5. Then waited one cycle. It came on time so I figured my body was back to normal. It was a normal cycle so in January we tried again. BAM. BFP. Nervous but hopeful. The nurse practicioner I was seeing ran a progesterone test and put me on a low dose of oral progesterone 3 dpo. Called new OB. Got in at 6 weeks because I was considered somewhat high risk. New doctor said things looked good, my uterus was enlarged, etc. Concerned about the progesterone I was taking. Said oral was not very effective. Got to the ultrasound and... nothing. Waited one more week to confirm. Still nothing. D&C a week later. Then major blood work, an HSG, and now waiting on new progesterone test next week. I want to try again but am not feeling very brave. I'm afraid the progesterone test will come back normal and my new doctor is going to tell me to try again. She thinks it is very likely that I've just had bad luck two times in a row. I'm not so sure.
April 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
My RE feels that using progesterone supplements just prolongs the inevitable so he doesn't prescribe them. Instead, he looks for the reason for the low progesterone. We weren't aware of the problem until after my last miscarriage anyway, and Clomid seems to have jump started my body and corrected that issue.

My big problem has been no one taking me seriously and until I got with my RE no tests were done. I finally just put my foot down and demanded that they refer me to another doctor and that's how I got hooked up with my RE.

My RE feels that using progesterone supplements just prolongs the inevitable so he doesn't prescribe them. Instead, he looks for the reason for the low progesterone. We weren't aware of the problem until after my last miscarriage anyway, and Clomid seems to have jump started my body and corrected that issue.

My big problem has been no one taking me seriously and until I got with my RE no tests were done. I finally just put my foot down and demanded that they refer me to another doctor and that's how I got hooked up with my RE.

April 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Good for you, putting your foot down! Sometimes you just have to be your own advocate! Sounds like you have a good RE and someone is finally listening. I wasn't aware that Clomid can straighten out progesterone issues. If my progesterone comes back low, I'm going to ask her to try and find out why its low instead of pushing supplements on me like the nurse practicioner did at my other dr. I guess we'll just have to hurry up and wait! :-)
April 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I Believe it clomid can make the progesterone good.. BUT the min I get pregnant mine seems to take a dive down.. But before i am pregnant it is perfect! Very confusing

April 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been diagnosed with unexplained as well. We do know of a few problems, but nothing that they will diagnose. I have a luteal phase defect, which is low progesterone, usually caused by weak ovulation. According to my OB/GYN and RE Clomid fixes that (plus I've done Clomid and Prometrium). But, I've done Clomid 6 cycles already, 3 of those with IUI and it didn't work. I also had an ultrasound to check my ovaries and my RE says that I have smaller than normal ovaries for my age, meaning that I have a low egg count, but she says that shouldn't be affecting my getting pregnant. So, those are the only probs they've found, but nothing severe enough to diagnose, so I'm still "unexplained". I've had ALL the tests done; bloodwork, HSG, etc., and so has DH and they've found nothing wrong.

We're taking a cycle off and going in for a consultation next week to find out what our next step is because I can't take Clomid anymore because I've already done it for the maximum number of cycles.
April 11th, 2009, 03:04 PM
tabbymichelle's Avatar GO BUCKEYES!!! O-H-I-O!
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
My Infertility is caused by my PCOS so I don't really have any advice for you. I just wanted to say that I hope that they find something out very soon and that you are able to get your bfp. Good luck!!

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
1 cycle of Clomid 100mg resulting in miscarriage
Dx with Adenomyosis on 1/28/10
Clomid 150mg 4/30(day 3) - 5/4(day 5) Ultrasound on May 10th.
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!
6/27 - Round 3 Clomid 150mg started.
7/25 - AF Showed, starting final round of Clomid 150mg on CD3
8/21- AF Showed, In the process of finding a new RE
*Waiting to see our new RE

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

April 12th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Allison, do you know how long you have to wait before you can attempt Clomid again? That was something that I never asked my doctor, so I wasn't sure. Not that I want to keep taking it if it isn't going to get me pregnant. I would just like to do every thing I can to increase my chances until I can do IUI with injectibles.

April 12th, 2009, 01:17 AM
You can take clomid for 12 months but if it doesnt work after 6 they stop you they start u at 50 if it doesnt work next cycle 100 they dont want to go past 100 because it can make hostile mucas... I take 100 if you have a m/c then you can start taking it again from scratch...

I am upset with my dr.. HE knew i had 2 m/c before him and he really should of checked me after my iui he should of ran blood work etc 7 dpo BUT he didn't makes me feel like I spent all that friggin money and they didn't do there jobs... and now I GET TO PAY FOR IT by having another m/c They did put me on endometrum (progesterone but it was to l ate)

Don't get me wrong its a great office.. i just feel over looked... Them bastards LOL

cant wait to talk to him monday i am so frustrated this should be interesting....

Last edited by frankie; April 12th, 2009 at 01:22 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search