What To Expect?

Forum: Trying to Conceive 1 Year +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive 1 Year + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2009, 07:51 AM
foodieinFL's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies! I'm new here and look forward to sharing my journey, as well as learn about others. DH (35) and I (34) have been ttc our first for 13 months. We had our initial consult with an IF doctor a few weeks ago. DH had a SA last week and the results were good, with the exception of his morphology, which was 8%. We are working on improving that number with supplements, and hope to see a higher percentage with his 2nd SA in 3 weeks. I had bloodwork performed this past Monday to measure my fsh, lh, etc., and am scheduled for an HSG this Friday. I will have my progesterone measured in approximately 2 weeks.
Can anyone fill me in on what to expect with regards to the HSG? Pain during and after the procedure, etc.? Also, has anyone dealt with poor morphology? I look forward to hearing your thoughts and stories.
April 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM
tabbymichelle's Avatar GO BUCKEYES!!! O-H-I-O!
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
First off, welcome to the board! I am Tabby(27) co-host, married to Ryan(28) We've been TTC #1 for 5 years. I hope you have a short and sweet stay here.

I have never had an HSG but I have heard different opinions. Some say it can be pretty painful and others have said it was just a little uncomfortable. I guess it depends on your pain tolerance. I have heard that you should take a pain killer about an hour before and that you should take a pad/pantyliner with you for afterwards. Good luck!

First off, welcome to the board! I am Tabby(27) co-host, married to Ryan(28) We've been TTC #1 for 5 years. I hope you have a short and sweet stay here.

I have never had an HSG but I have heard different opinions. Some say it can be pretty painful and others have said it was just a little uncomfortable. I guess it depends on your pain tolerance. I have heard that you should take a pain killer about an hour before and that you should take a pad/pantyliner with you for afterwards. Good luck!

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
1 cycle of Clomid 100mg resulting in miscarriage
Dx with Adenomyosis on 1/28/10
Clomid 150mg 4/30(day 3) - 5/4(day 5) Ultrasound on May 10th.
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!
6/27 - Round 3 Clomid 150mg started.
7/25 - AF Showed, starting final round of Clomid 150mg on CD3
8/21- AF Showed, In the process of finding a new RE
*Waiting to see our new RE

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

April 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
txjovigal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to txjovigal Send a message via Yahoo to txjovigal
Welcome!

working on my 3rd, for sure by 11/15/11
April 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Brandiwine77's Avatar Waiting on God's Time
Send a message via AIM to Brandiwine77
Welcome! I haven't had my HSG yet, but from what I've been told, its uncomfortable, but not especially painful.

What I wanted to tell you was about the morphology. Using supplements is a great way to improve count/motility. But here's the thing you have to remember. It takes an average of 92 days for new sperm to form. Thus, to see any true affects from supplements, you will have to have a repeat SA 3 months after starting the supplements.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

April 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I had an HSG about 5 months ago. Honestly, mine was quite painful...but the thing is-the pain only lasted about 45-50 seconds while they were inflating the balloon. And it is a feeling of incredible pressure. Once that all occurred, it felt almost like a regular pelvic exam. So, yes, it hurt, but that part was very short.

I do recommend taking some pain medication prior. I did not know, at the time, to do this-which is maybe why it hurt. I was also very crampy when it was over and, again, that pain medication probably would have helped with it.

It really isn't too bad...the build up is always worse-and not knowing what to expect.

Good luck!!!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

April 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks much for all your kind words and welcome. Brandiwine ~ you're right about the sperm. I keep forgetting all of those minor details, lol. Scubagirl ~ Thanks for sharing your experience. Thankfully, I was prescribed a pain med, which I WILL be taking! I'll let you all know how it goes!
April 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
Welcome to the board. I am Marci (30) DH Kelly (32)

April 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
AllisonC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had and HSG in January and it wasn't painful at all for me. My RE said to take over-the-counter pain meds about 45 minutes before the procedure, which I did. It was somewhat uncomfortable during the process, but nothing I would consider painful. I did have very mild cramping for about an hour afterwards and mild spotting/bleeding that only lasted through that night. Definitely bring your own pad/liner because you won't want to wear the huge, diaper-like pad the hospital gives you. LOL

I thought it was a really cool procedure because I got to see the x-ray as it was performed and I could see the dye running through the uterus & tubes. When it was complete my RE also came over and explained it to me. No waiting for the results!

Good luck, hon! And, welcome to the board!
April 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Allison~lol, I've seen said pad, and you're right. What are they thinking? Glad to hear you had little to no pain with your hsg. I think the best part is, like you said, no waiting for the results. That's completely agonizing!
April 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
hello! im jessie (25) and dh is Santos (26) we too have been diagnosed with mf infertility low morphology..i would be curious to hear the same thing..our RE put him on Vit C 1000mg a day and Vitamin E 800 units a day..not sure if it works or not we are only on our 2nd month ttc after this..in all tho we have been ttc for about 21 months..but good luck to you!! i hope you get your bfp..also i have heard of people getting prego naturally with low morphology as well!!

oh ya..and if you havent had your hsg yet, i have had 3 done...they arent that bad if you can take pain..im a big baby on the other hand!! lol!! but just take some tylenol or something of that sort and you should be great!! good luck!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!

Last edited by Jessie0505; April 17th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
April 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all your replies. HSG was performed this morning, and all in all, it wasn't too bad. It was very quick, and more uncomfortable than anything. The pain and intense pressure thankfully only lasted for maybe a minute. So glad it's over, and extremely relieved to find no blockages! My progesterone is to be tested next, and I'm quite anxious to learn the results. (I spot for several days before AF, and my sister dealt with low progesterone, so I'm fairly convinced it's an issue.) I'll be sure to share the results. Baby dust to you all!
April 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
YAY for clear tubes!! good luck with the progesterone testing!! now you are one step closer to that bfp!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
April 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
tabbymichelle's Avatar GO BUCKEYES!!! O-H-I-O!
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
Glad everything came out okay! Good luck this cycle!

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
1 cycle of Clomid 100mg resulting in miscarriage
Dx with Adenomyosis on 1/28/10
Clomid 150mg 4/30(day 3) - 5/4(day 5) Ultrasound on May 10th.
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!
6/27 - Round 3 Clomid 150mg started.
7/25 - AF Showed, starting final round of Clomid 150mg on CD3
8/21- AF Showed, In the process of finding a new RE
*Waiting to see our new RE

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search