Acupuncture?

Forum: Trying to Conceive 1 Year +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive 1 Year + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried acupuncture in aiding their fertility. I have my first appointment this weekend. It's kind of my last attempt at doing something new before going through with IVF.

A little bit about myself: I've been TTC since August 2009. In August 2010, I discovered I was hypothyroid and have been on Synthroid since then. It was then I also found out I have a slightly elevated FSH @ 11. I started seeing an RE who confirmed the high FSH and also said I have endometriosis.

My RE suggested IVF, but I'm a little hesitant at this point. I'm going to give acupuncture a try! Has anyone else had any experience?

Thanks!
January 20th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Marieke's Avatar Mama to 3 angels
I do acupuncture. I had my second treatment yesterday. I'm going every week, especially for fertility. There are acupuncturists specialized in fertility and it's well known for helping fertility. According to my acupuncturist, it takes a couple of months before it can work and you get pregnant. I have a friend on another forum, she went for 5 months and she got her BFP last month She went once a week, for 2 months, and then every 2 weeks.

This is our last cycle before we start artificial insemination.

TTC since August 2008

6w (may '13)
4w (dec '14)
7w/ectopic (nov '15)

January 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Thank you for the input! We were thinking about starting IVF in April if we weren't pregnant by then, but I'd be willing to wait a little longer if I thought it was worth it. I'm definitely looking forward to my consultation this weekend.
January 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Good luck!

TTC since August 2008

6w (may '13)
4w (dec '14)
7w/ectopic (nov '15)

January 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Coley54
Marie is your girl for acupuncture info! I've never done it...I'm a baby.

***A HUGE thanks to marriedc for the awesome siggy!***

IUI#1 - BFN
IUI#2 - BFN
IUI#3 - BFN
IUI#4 - BFN

January 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley54 View Post
Marie is your girl for acupuncture info! I've never done it...I'm a baby.
lol. It really doesn't hurt that much, it stings sometimes, depending where he puts the needles. The first time, the one he put on my ear really hurt, and the one on the back of my neck as well. Yesterday, the only one that hurt was the one he put right under my knee. It changes every time. And it makes you so relax afterward! My acupuncturist is a genius, he could actually see/feel my brain was going 100 mph during treatment It's not easy not thinking about anything, I just didn't know he could actually sense that! I was impressed! Next time I'll try to relax more.

TTC since August 2008

6w (may '13)
4w (dec '14)
7w/ectopic (nov '15)

Last edited by Marieke; January 20th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
January 21st, 2011, 08:39 AM
MummyTo2Boys&1Girl's Avatar Loving my baby boy
have never tried it

Jack Anthony Richard White

January 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM
Ya'll should really give it a try! Hey, at this point, what have you got to lose? Yeah ok it costs a bit much but it can help so much on every level. I don't know if it helped my PMS this month, but last month, I just wanted to die, for a week. It's how bad it was. This month, I felt depressed for 1 day, otherwise I'm fine and even happier than usual, during AF!!! I'm chanting and saying funny things, laughing (I work with kids... lol). I don't know if the acupuncture helped, but if it did, WOW! What a nice change!

TTC since August 2008

6w (may '13)
4w (dec '14)
7w/ectopic (nov '15)

January 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Cool, I'm excited about the possibilities! Nervous about the needles!

I'm also afraid I'll get addicted to it and want it forever...a little expensive to do forever...
January 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking...I am 100% sold on acupuncture. My girls are a result of it. We were about to move to injectables and possibly IVF when I gave acupuncture and chinese herbs a try. I was prego within 3 months. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you read Dr. Randine Lewis' book The Infertility Cure. It's amazing! It's the only book I bought in the almost 2 years we were ttc. I read a ton of books, but this was the only one with information that seemed very valuable and not the basic stuff all over the Internet. I'm using a bunch of it now that we're ttc again.

It talks about different conditions and what foods help them as well as which acupncture points and what herbs. Hypothyroidism causes cold/sluggish Yang engergies...the book covers this. So, I think you would want to make sure you only eat and drink warm foods. A good acupuncturist, who specializes in fertility, could tell you exactly which foods are great for you. I personally need to avoid cow dairy, what and sugar. My diet is currently loaded with brown rice, black beans, ginger, cinnamon, dates, oatmeal, eggs and all sorts of other things that I love to eat.

The book also covers FSH as well as endometriosis.

I can't stress how amazing this book was for me. If I hadn't run across it, I never would have found my acupuncturist and I fully believe that I wouldn't have my two gorgeous girls. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer anything. A PM is probably best since I don't normally lurk here. I just happened to see the topic from the main board.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 21st, 2011, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celry View Post
Lurking...I am 100% sold on acupuncture. My girls are a result of it. We were about to move to injectables and possibly IVF when I gave acupuncture and chinese herbs a try. I was prego within 3 months.
Wow, this is so encouraging!! Thank you so much for sharing about your experience! Your girls are beautiful!

TTC since August 2008

6w (may '13)
4w (dec '14)
7w/ectopic (nov '15)

January 24th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Thank you for the input! I've heard a bit about that book, but now I feel I really need to get it.

I had my first appointment Sunday and really liked it. I think I'm really going to give it a try. It takes a bit of a leap of faith, as my acupuncturist encouraged me to wait two months before TTC again while we get my body ready. I feel since I've been unsuccessful for 22 cycles, what do I have to lose?

We also were about to jump into IVF, but I'd love to avoid that, of course.

And I, too, need to drop the sugar (among other things,) but the sugar will be the toughest for me!
January 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharona View Post
I feel since I've been unsuccessful for 22 cycles, what do I have to lose?
Exactly my thoughts too Glad you enjoyed it!

TTC since August 2008

6w (may '13)
4w (dec '14)
7w/ectopic (nov '15)

January 26th, 2011, 07:39 PM
It has been a long time since I have been on JM. I have been thinking of accupuntcure as well and doing some research on herbal supplements I can take to help us.. Thank you for the great info Celry....I am going to loook into that book! DH and I have been TTC for 3 years and at this point I am tired of being tested and poked for there to be no answers. I have sever endometriosis and have had many surgeries and everytime I have another Dr appt or test it just makes the stress worse. So hopefully this book will give some info that will ease that for a while
January 27th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Coliepie, I agree that I think the stress just makes it worse. I'm trying to focus on just chilling out. For a while, I was really close to pulling the trigger on IVF. But it's just such a stressful thing to go through. And I know I'd be devastated if it failed.

So I'm really crossing my fingers with the acupuncture. And I just ordered the book Celry recommended. Excited to read through it! And I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you decide to try acupuncture.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search