Soy Isoflavones?

Forum: Trying to Conceive 1 Year +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive 1 Year + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Okay, so I have to admit that I'm a little green over in my side of the world. Not by any means as bad as some of my friends (many of my friends are vegs and one is even starting her family to transition into a raw diet) but I try and look for more natural things before going the other route, which I am by no means against, since it's hard to get around in the TTC world.

That being said, I know I see a lot of you wonderful ladies have tried clomid. That's the direction I'm heading in but I've been talking to a few other TTC girls and a few of them mentioned soy isoflavones, which is considered 'natures clomid.' In fact, one of my girls from my previous fourm just for her bfp after trying soy this month.

Incase you haven't heard of it, it's just a pill, like clomid. I'm planning on trying this next cycle. You take it on days you would clomid, but I'm going the cd 3-7 route and plan on taking 80mg, then increasing slowly. Any input or experiences? Good or bad I wanna hear it!
March 17th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Marieke's Avatar Mommy to an angel
If I would have heard about it before taking Clomid, I would have tried it...

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

IVF #1 (september 2012): 11 eggs, none fertilized, no transfer
IVF ICSI #1 (may 2013), 1 blastocyst: (m/c 7 weeks )
FET #1 (october 2013), 1 blastocyst:

IVF ICSI #2 (april 2014): 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 bad quality embryos, no transfer
IVF ICSI #2.1 (coming soon)
March 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Really? I figured it was worth a shot. I mean, I've come to know very well not to get my hopes up but, sometimes it's hard not to. Well can i pick your brain? How was/is clomid for you? Did you have any side effects?
March 17th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
I used clomid to conceive my twins. Only real side effect for me was hot flashes at night. I used the AC on high a lot, LOL. I took it days 3-7 at 10pm each night.

Now we are trying to conceive with no luck. This time around clomid doesn't seem to be helping me ovulate. I did switch to soy isoflavones to see if something different would work better. I did 80mg and didn't ovulate, 160 and I did ovulate, still no pregnancy. Same days, time and side effects.
March 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Marieke's Avatar Mommy to an angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcakeslovee View Post
Really? I figured it was worth a shot. I mean, I've come to know very well not to get my hopes up but, sometimes it's hard not to. Well can i pick your brain? How was/is clomid for you? Did you have any side effects?
You can ask me whatever you want I would have tried Soy Isoflavones before Clomid but I didn't know about it... Oh well. I only take 50mg, this is my 4th cycle on it. The only side effect I have is hot flashes. They were bad this cycle, I'd get them like 20 times a day, until I O'ed, then they went away.

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

IVF #1 (september 2012): 11 eggs, none fertilized, no transfer
IVF ICSI #1 (may 2013), 1 blastocyst: (m/c 7 weeks )
FET #1 (october 2013), 1 blastocyst:

IVF ICSI #2 (april 2014): 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 bad quality embryos, no transfer
IVF ICSI #2.1 (coming soon)
March 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delekatala View Post
I used clomid to conceive my twins. Only real side effect for me was hot flashes at night. I used the AC on high a lot, LOL. I took it days 3-7 at 10pm each night.

Now we are trying to conceive with no luck. This time around clomid doesn't seem to be helping me ovulate. I did switch to soy isoflavones to see if something different would work better. I did 80mg and didn't ovulate, 160 and I did ovulate, still no pregnancy. Same days, time and side effects.
How many rounds of clomid did it take for twins? I was wondering if soy iso had the same reputation with twins. Thanks for the info. I read a lot of women so increase through the days. I was thinking to start with the 80mg, at night like you said. If that didn't work I was going to do 80, 80, 120, 120, 160, increasing everyday. We will have to keep each other updated about the soy!
March 17th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. McFadden View Post
You can ask me whatever you want I would have tried Soy Isoflavones before Clomid but I didn't know about it... Oh well. I only take 50mg, this is my 4th cycle on it. The only side effect I have is hot flashes. They were bad this cycle, I'd get them like 20 times a day, until I O'ed, then they went away.

So it seems like hot flashes is one all around. Boo. I'm already the a person sauna!! HAAH.

Delekatala, I can't figure out why I can't quote you! But here's my reply

How many rounds of clomid did it take for twins? I was wondering if soy iso had the same reputation with twins. Thanks for the info. I read a lot of women so increase through the days. I was thinking to start with the 80mg, at night like you said. If that didn't work I was going to do 80, 80, 120, 120, 160, increasing everyday. We will have to keep each other updated about the soy!

Oh and I can't figure out why I can't see peoples signatures. I've enabled them in my options. =( booo!
March 18th, 2011, 02:07 AM
PregnantAtLast's Avatar Loving my baby boy
signature.... you have to have so many posts before you can see them

I have taken soy for 3 cycles and it hasnt worked for me, i wasnt charting or anything so im not even sure i even ovulated, im going to give it 1 more shot next cycle!!

good luck to you

March 18th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Super Mommy
I have not taken soy, but I did hear about it. Before going to the doctor I did try FertileAid. I think I ovulated with it, but didn't get pregnant with it. I found it at earlypregnancytests.com You are supposed to take it every day. I couldn't tell that I had any side effects from it. Now.....clomid on the other hand.......my last round was of 100mg and I had some major hot flashes. I didn't think that they were that bad on 50mg. I also take it at night and try to sleep through it, but I usually just wind up throwing the covers off and on all night. lol I don't know if this is related or not, but I have also put on some weight over the past 6 months. Like I said, I do not know if it is related to the clomid or not, but I cannot get rid of it either!!!

Hope this has helped some!

TTC #1 since August 2009

DH=42.......SA's off the charts!!!
Me=33........unexplained
One year on our own=BFNs
Clomid+BDing (4 months)=BFNs
IUI #1 Feb. 2011=BFN
IUI #2 Apr. 2011=BFN
1st RE appt.=May 2011
1st IVF cycle June/July=delayed due to OHSS concern
10 Snowbabies!!!!!!!
1st FET Oct. 2011=BFP!!!!!!
Beta #1=1,398
Beta #2=8,032
Beta #3=14,955
11/10/11=1st u/s
WOW, two babies.........
March 18th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Coley54
I took soy for about 6 cycles...give or take. Nothing ever came of it...I wasn't monitored at that time so I'm not sure the effect it had on me. I did 4 rounds of Clomid. Hot flashes were the worst and I had the occasional headache but that could have been allergies. I also was given a trigger injection to induce O and that made me a bit nauseous the day after. Again though, nothing came of that. Between my cervical stenosis (which seems to be fixed now) and DH's swimmers that don't swim and are funny shaped...our only real option is IVF at this point.

Good luck with Soy! I know people who have gotten pg using it. Just didn't work for me.

***A HUGE thanks to marriedc for the awesome siggy!***

IUI#1 - BFN
IUI#2 - BFN
IUI#3 - BFN
IUI#4 - BFN

March 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I've taken both. So far I have done 6 cycles of Clomid and two of the soy. This current cycle is my last on Clomid. I do O on Clomid but haven't conceived...I didn't chart with Soy, so I don't know if I O'd.

As far as side effects go both gave me migraines. Clomid also gave me hot flashes and insomnia. Clomid is known for drying out you mucous while Soy gives an over-abundance of it.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
March 18th, 2011, 08:54 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took Clomid, and then I tried Soy. Both CDs 3-7, 50mg (or twice that for Soy)

Without any meds, I typically ovulated between CD 18-25.
On Clomid, I ovulated CD 17, and I had a lot of hot flashes, a few headaches, and minimal mood swings. My periods were horribly heavy and painful the first 2 days, but lasted only about 3 days total.
On Soy, I ovulated CD 17, no hot flashes, no headaches, no weird mood swings. My period was less heavy on day one, but I spotted for about 10 days after.

Neither has resulted in a pregnancy. I took Femara CD 3-7 of this cycle and experienced hot flashes. I am ridiculously moody right now in my LP, but I think it's because of my trigger shot.

I have heard great things about soy. I recommend trying it out.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

March 19th, 2011, 07:09 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
I took Soy for Two cycles. I O'ed earlier on Soy but it did not help my Luteal phase.

March 19th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys. I'm sad to see so many of you have had no luck on it. Boo. I'm going to try it for 3 cycles, and if it's a no go, it's on to clomid, too!

Donna, I heard some women O earlier! I'm normall a CD 17ish O'er....so maybe it'll bump me up a few days!?
March 24th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Veteran
I read about the soy a little while back but since they put me on Bravelle, I didn't even pay much attention to it. Last night, I was surfing and came across the soy again. Now that I think about it, I really should've paid attention and taken some soy to see if it'd help me improve the number the follicles produced as I was only able to produce 1 by the time of IUI on Bravelle alone. Anyone taken it with injectables instead of Clomid? Any improvement?
March 25th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Coley54
Wish I had any insight on injectibles to give. I did REALLY well on Clomid. The Dr told me that injectibles would be useless for me with DH's issues and would rather we save up for IVF.

***A HUGE thanks to marriedc for the awesome siggy!***

IUI#1 - BFN
IUI#2 - BFN
IUI#3 - BFN
IUI#4 - BFN

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search