Success First IUI?

Forum: Trying to Conceive 1 Year +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive 1 Year + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran
I just had my very first IUI today. How many people have had success with their first IUI? What can I expect now that I'm done with the IUI? I'm waiting for the 14 days to go in for a pregnancy test and u/s. In the meantime, can I test for pregnancy at home when it's close to the 14 days? How many IUIs have you had before there was a BFP?

Last edited by Lilacs80; March 22nd, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
March 23rd, 2011, 08:36 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far I've had 2 IUIs. I'm still waiting to find out about the 2nd. I think the chances of success change depending on your situation (sperm count, # of eggs released, reason for infertility, etc.)

You can definitely take a home pregnancy test when it's close to 14 days-- my RE told me to wait until 12 days past. Just don't get too upset if you see negatives, because it takes longer for some. Also, if you had a trigger shot, you could get a false positive because of leftover hcg in your system.

Good luck! I hope it only takes one for you!

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

March 23rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Coley54
Hey there! I have had 4 IUI's. None of them worked but we had other issues we were dealing with so please don't take that wrong. I know a lot of people who only needed one or two IUI's. I wasn't that lucky. What to expect after an IUI...a whole lot of waiting and wondering, lol. It was just like any other TWW except that we treated it as though I was pregnant already. We didn't want to chance anything that would disturb a little eggy from making a nice home for itself. Other than that, it was business as usual. As for testing...did you have a trigger shot or did they let you O on your own? If you O'd on your own, then you would be able to test however you would have normally tested. If you did a trigger, its best to wait til AF is expected. I tested out my trigger on one of my IUI cycle's. I was getting positive HPT's almost to the end. It was torture. Especially when my period came as scheduled.

***A HUGE thanks to marriedc for the awesome siggy!***

IUI#1 - BFN
IUI#2 - BFN
IUI#3 - BFN
IUI#4 - BFN

March 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
**Linda**
Hi. We had success on our first IUI. I have an ovulation problem, meaning I don't ovulate regularly, and an egg maturation issue. Meaning, even if I do release something most of the time the egg is not mature enough to fertilize. DH S/A came back normal.

I was on Clomid (3rd round), Gonal F (first round of injections) and a trigger shot of Ovidrel (2nd round).

Timeline:

March 4 - IUI
March 10 - Progesterone blood work, came back above 40.
March 15 - Positive home pregnancy test First Response, at 7:00pm.
March 16 - Positive home pregnancy test with Clearblue Digital, at 7:00am.
March 17 - Beta blood draw (this was when I was scheduled to find out. I just did home pregnancy tests on my own bc I was going CRAZY). Came back positive, HCG was above 50.
March 21 - 2nd Beta, HCG at 530.

Its like they say, everyone is different, and I completely sympathize with the waiting. This past TWW was the WORST for me!! But ended with the best reward. This is our first pregnancy after trying for over a year.
March 23rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
MummyTo2Plus5's Avatar Loving my baby boy
ive never had 1 but wanted to say good luck

cingrats sassy9679

Very proud mummy to 2 earthly and 5 heavenly babies

March 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy9679 View Post
Hi. We had success on our first IUI. I have an ovulation problem, meaning I don't ovulate regularly, and an egg maturation issue. Meaning, even if I do release something most of the time the egg is not mature enough to fertilize. DH S/A came back normal.

I was on Clomid (3rd round), Gonal F (first round of injections) and a trigger shot of Ovidrel (2nd round).

Timeline:

March 4 - IUI
March 10 - Progesterone blood work, came back above 40.
March 15 - Positive home pregnancy test First Response, at 7:00pm.
March 16 - Positive home pregnancy test with Clearblue Digital, at 7:00am.
March 17 - Beta blood draw (this was when I was scheduled to find out. I just did home pregnancy tests on my own bc I was going CRAZY). Came back positive, HCG was above 50.
March 21 - 2nd Beta, HCG at 530.

Its like they say, everyone is different, and I completely sympathize with the waiting. This past TWW was the WORST for me!! But ended with the best reward. This is our first pregnancy after trying for over a year.
Congrats on the good news!! I'm so happy for you! It would drive me crazy too waiting to test. But nevertheless, YAY!

And thanks for sharing your timeline. It gives me a good idea of what to expect from this point on.
March 23rd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Veteran
Thanks for all the replies! I did take a trigger shot (Pregnyl) the night before IUI. With previous miscarriages and ectopic, I've learned to not get carried away, but sometimes I can't help it. The Dr did say I have a good chance, but then again, she probably tells that to everyone going through the IUI. So I just want to emotionally prepared if my first IUI is not successful.
March 23rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacs80 View Post
So I just want to emotionally prepared if my first IUI is not successful.
My motto is hope for the best, but expect the worst. I know it's not the most positive, but it does help keep me sane in these trying times.

TTC #1 since August 2009

DH=42.......SA's off the charts!!!
Me=33........unexplained
One year on our own=BFNs
Clomid+BDing (4 months)=BFNs
IUI #1 Feb. 2011=BFN
IUI #2 Apr. 2011=BFN
1st RE appt.=May 2011
1st IVF cycle June/July=delayed due to OHSS concern
10 Snowbabies!!!!!!!
1st FET Oct. 2011=BFP!!!!!!
Beta #1=1,398
Beta #2=8,032
Beta #3=14,955
11/10/11=1st u/s
WOW, two babies.........
March 23rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Veteran
I have been getting these cramps and twinges on and off. I was told that I might get cramps after the IUI. Initially, I was getting them on the left, but started to get them on the right as well late last night and throughout today. I only expected to get them on the left since my follicle is being released from my left. Cramps and twinges on left and right....normal??
March 23rd, 2011, 08:00 PM
Marieke's Avatar Mommy to an angel
I had cramps 2 days after my IUI, that lasted until about 9 DPO, until I found out we missed O by 3 days... I also had twinges on my left side... I doubt those cramps mean anything

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

IVF #1 (september 2012): 11 eggs, none fertilized, no transfer
IVF ICSI #1 (may 2013), 1 blastocyst: (m/c 7 weeks )
FET #1 (october 2013), 1 blastocyst:

IVF ICSI #2 (april 2014): 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 bad quality embryos, no transfer
IVF ICSI #2.1 (coming soon)
March 24th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had cramps and twinges all through my cycle. I think I was just more in-tune with my body and noticed them. I'm pretty sure that (for me at least) they have always been there. I have them now and I haven't had an IUI in months.

IUI#1 - BFN
IUI#2 - BFN
IUI#3 - BFN
IUI#4 - BFN

March 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Veteran
Thanks ladies. I think I'm just super sensitive and alert about what's going on because of the treatments and IUI. If I wasn't super in tune before, I am now.
March 26th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Veteran
How soon does the pregnancy happen after IUI? I know we have to wait at least 2 weeks to test accurately for pregnancy. I know it also depends on when I ovulate. But give or take, roughly right after IUI, assuming I'm ovulating on time and assuming it's a BFP this cycle, technically, how fast after IUI should I be pregnant?

I'm trying to figure out if I should start cutting out/cutting down certain foods already or if I should wait until I get a BFP to start. I don't smoke or anything. I'm have a huge weakness for sushi and coffee.

Have you started to cut out certain foods already?

Last edited by Lilacs80; March 26th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
March 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Well it takes about a week for the embryo to implant...

Personally, I never stopped eating certain foods "just in case", I had alcohol too (not getting drunk though, just a glass), ate sushi, took meds, etc. I don't do that because I still want some control over my life and not have infertility rule over everything. If I start cutting down on stuff, I just feel like I'm making myself believe even more that I could be pregnant, while I'd rather have no expectations. But maybe that's just me.

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

IVF ICSI #2 (april 2014): 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 bad quality embryos, no transfer
March 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yup, just like Marie said...the embryo implants about 7 to 10 days after O...Just like if you got pg on your own. When I was doing IUI's, Matt and I treated everything as though I was pregnant. So I did stop eating some things but I really don't think that it would have hurt much if I hadn't. I think thats a personal preference.

IUI#1 - BFN
IUI#2 - BFN
IUI#3 - BFN
IUI#4 - BFN

March 27th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Veteran
I had one IUI and although I had a trigger shot...pretty sure I ovulated later and we missed it.

Note....I took a preg test 2 weeks after the IUI and got a false positive....so not to put a damper on things....just be prepared

Taking a month off clomid and IUI (which would be #2) and see what happens!

Good luck to you!!
March 28th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran
Thanks ladies! Trying to stay grounded. This waiting period is tough!
March 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl22 View Post
I took a preg test 2 weeks after the IUI and got a false positive
Your false positive was because of your Ovidrel shot. There probably was still some in your blood when you took the test, it often gives false negatives. What I've heard some women do when they have a trigger shot, they do a HPT every single day right after their trigger shot (obviously it's positive) but as days go by, the second line becomes lighter and lighter and then goes away. So that's how they know there is no more Ovidrel in their blood and if later the line reappears, it's a real BFP

Good luck!

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

March 28th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. McFadden View Post
What I've heard some women do when they have a trigger shot, they do a HPT every single day right after their trigger shot (obviously it's positive) but as days go by, the second line becomes lighter and lighter and then goes away. So that's how they know there is no more Ovidrel in their blood and if later the line reappears, it's a real BFP

Good luck!
Thats what I did but only the first time because I wanted to see how long my body held onto the trigger.

IUI#1 - BFN
IUI#2 - BFN
IUI#3 - BFN
IUI#4 - BFN

March 28th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. McFadden View Post
Your false positive was because of your Ovidrel shot. There probably was still some in your blood when you took the test, it often gives false negatives. What I've heard some women do when they have a trigger shot, they do a HPT every single day right after their trigger shot (obviously it's positive) but as days go by, the second line becomes lighter and lighter and then goes away. So that's how they know there is no more Ovidrel in their blood and if later the line reappears, it's a real BFP

Good luck!
That is a very good strategy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search