First IUI Tomorrow

Forum: Trying to Conceive 1 Year +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive 1 Year + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here and a newbie with fertility treatments. I had an ectopic pregnancy nearly 2 years ago, and have not successfully conceived since. I didn't have to undergo surgery for my ectopic. They gave me a methotrexate injection to flush everything out.

I started in January with the testing, blood work, and HSG. I would have been able to start back in Feb, but they found that I wasn't immune to Varicella so I had get vaccinated. The vaccination delayed me for a month, but I finally started my treatment this cycle.

I started on my first round of injectables this month. I'm on Bravelle. I've been on it for 8 days now, going on 9. I will take my trigger tonight and go in for my first IUI tomorrow morning. I was very disappointed to find out that my body is reacting very slowly to the medication. My follicles are growing very slowly. I only produce one mature follicle. It measured about 10mm on Wed and today it measured about 18mm. The Dr estimates the follicle will be about 20mm by Tues.

When I first started my injectables, I was concerned about the possibility of multiples. But at my rate, I don't think it's should be a concern anymore seeing that I only produced 1 mature follicle. Can multiples still happen?

Oh, my mature follicle is being released from my left tube - the same tube with the ectopic. I'm very nervous because what if this ends in an ectopic? Then, I'd have to go through the whole process of getting the methotrexate and waiting before being able to try again. Or what if my follicle doesn't have an egg attached!?!

Any advice and tips would be appreciated. I'm super nervous.

Thanks!
March 21st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Super Mommy
Hey and welcome! I am Angie(32) and we have been ttc our first since August '09. I had my first IUI back in February. Unfortunately, it didn't work. We have been taking this month off due to my busy and stressful work. We are going to try another IUI next month. I have been taking clomid and when it was finally discovered that I was ovulating with 100mg I only produced two follies.

I would say that the only way to have multiples with one good follie is if the egg splits, but remember it only takes one!!!!

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted!!

TTC #1 since August 2009

DH=42.......SA's off the charts!!!
Me=33........unexplained
One year on our own=BFNs
Clomid+BDing (4 months)=BFNs
IUI #1 Feb. 2011=BFN
IUI #2 Apr. 2011=BFN
1st RE appt.=May 2011
1st IVF cycle June/July=delayed due to OHSS concern
10 Snowbabies!!!!!!!
1st FET Oct. 2011=BFP!!!!!!
Beta #1=1,398
Beta #2=8,032
Beta #3=14,955
11/10/11=1st u/s
WOW, two babies.........
March 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Marieke's Avatar Mommy to an angel
Welcome!

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

IVF #1 (september 2012): 11 eggs, none fertilized, no transfer
IVF ICSI #1 (may 2013), 1 blastocyst: (m/c 7 weeks )
FET #1 (october 2013), 1 blastocyst:

IVF ICSI #2 (april 2014): 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 bad quality embryos, no transfer
IVF ICSI #2.1 (coming soon)
March 21st, 2011, 05:40 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandGeek View Post
Hey and welcome! I am Angie(32) and we have been ttc our first since August '09. I had my first IUI back in February. Unfortunately, it didn't work. We have been taking this month off due to my busy and stressful work. We are going to try another IUI next month. I have been taking clomid and when it was finally discovered that I was ovulating with 100mg I only produced two follies.

I would say that the only way to have multiples with one good follie is if the egg splits, but remember it only takes one!!!!

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted!!
Thanks! My Dr spoke to me over the phone today to address my concerns. I feel a littler better about everything, but I'm still super nervous. Will keep you posted.

Good luck to you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. McFadden View Post
Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome!
March 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM
JanessaFaith's Avatar Scrapaholic
I don't have any advice, but wanted to wish you luck!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggie!!

Follow Me!

March 22nd, 2011, 05:07 AM
PregnantAtLast's Avatar Loving my baby boy
first off welcome to the board, and i am so sorry for your loss

March 22nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Veteran
Thanks ladies! I appreciate all the warm welcomes!

I just came back from my first IUI. My doctor wants me to go in tomorrow for a 2nd round of IUI or I can opt for just intercourse. Is it really necessary to go back again for a 2nd round of IUI? How many rounds do you usually go in for? Just wondering.

I also had an insurance disaster this morning when I had my IUI. I was misinformed by my insurance. I was told that my benefits pick up 70% of all fertility procedures out of network and 90% in network. My doctor is out of network but we stayed with her because we liked her, and I can deal with the 70% coverage. Turns out, the insurance isn't picking up ANY of the fertility procedures out of network....only the u/s and labs.

So even though I can manage the out of pocket costs of the IUIs now, I can't imagine the out of pocket cost for IVF. So I'm going to need to find an in-network doctor for that. So is it absolutely necessary for the 2nd IUI tomorrow.

I'm feeling like I should have opted out of the IUI this cycle and waited for the next when I have more mature follies instead of one.
March 22nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'd go for a second one in a heart beat if I was offered!! It's free here but I can understand when you have to pay for it that you're wondering if you should...

My first IUI did not work BUT that's only because my OPKs have a hard time predicting ovulation, and we missed it. So for IUI #2, I'm having ultrasounds.

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

IVF ICSI #2 (april 2014): 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 bad quality embryos, no transfer
March 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I'd go for a second one in a heart beat if I was offered!! It's free here but I can understand when you have to pay for it that you're wondering if you should...

My first IUI did not work BUT that's only because my OPKs have a hard time predicting ovulation, and we missed it. So for IUI #2, I'm having ultrasounds.
Thanks Mrs. McFadden. They've been monitoring me with ultrasounds. They're keeping a tight eye on me. I just hope the baby when he/she gets to that angry teenager stage, that child better spare us from grief especially everything we're going through now! Ha.
March 22nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
LMAO I was thinking the same thing!

"I worked so hard to bring you into this world. SPARE ME THE BS!!!!"

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

March 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Super Mommy
I am with Marie and would go for the second IUI. When they wash the sperm there is something in there that gives them a little boost. I haven't been given that option. I have only had 1 IUI. However, I can understand if it's not possible money wise. My insurance is similar to yours. It will cover labs and u/s, but not the IUI nor the ovidrel shot. I have a $5000 lifetime amount for infertility, so right now we are paying out of pocket for the IUIs and (just in case) saving up for the IVF as it will be much more expensive.

Hope everything goes well for you! Keep us posted!!

TTC #1 since August 2009

DH=42.......SA's off the charts!!!
Me=33........unexplained
One year on our own=BFNs
Clomid+BDing (4 months)=BFNs
IUI #1 Feb. 2011=BFN
IUI #2 Apr. 2011=BFN
1st RE appt.=May 2011
1st IVF cycle June/July=delayed due to OHSS concern
10 Snowbabies!!!!!!!
1st FET Oct. 2011=BFP!!!!!!
Beta #1=1,398
Beta #2=8,032
Beta #3=14,955
11/10/11=1st u/s
WOW, two babies.........
March 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Veteran
Thanks ladies. You are all so sweet. I should've been on here sooner!

I've been on the phone all day today sorting this stuff out with the billing dept at my Dr.'s and the insurance. I paid for the IUI and sperm wash today. The insurance says they will reimburse me for my IUI today only because of their misinformation on their end, but they need the Dr.'s office to put in the claim even though it will denied so they have a record of the claim. And they will move that claim to the appeals dept and it will be handled from there.

I was starting to get very depressed with the insurance we have. And we have a very good insurance too. So I will be paying for my IUIs out of pocket. It's the IVF that I'm worried about. I like my current Dr so I think I'm going to stay with her for as long as I can doing the IUIs and if I graduate to IVF which will be in the next couple of cycles, then I'll need to switch to an in-network Dr.

BandGeek -- That's great that you guys have saving up for the IVF. It's expensive!! We've been saving up for a house but not IVF because I wasn't expecting that I would need fertility treatments. So if push comes to shove, we're going to have to dip into our house fund. Either that or switch Drs. Sigh~~~~

Quote:
LMAO I was thinking the same thing!

"I worked so hard to bring you into this world. SPARE ME THE BS!!!!"
March 23rd, 2011, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Coley54
I'm sorry I must have missed this yesterday. Welcome! I'm Coley (28) and DH is Matt (33) and we've been TTC for almost 3 years. We had 4 IUI's (one was after a laparoscopy) and not one of them took but we have Male Factor Infertility issues. I know lots of people who got pregnant on the first IUI we just weren't as lucky. I wish you the best of luck with your IUI! If it had been offered to me (and we could have afforded it) I would have done a second IUI. Not sure it would have helped us much as DH's swimmers don't really swim and are funny shaped.

***A HUGE thanks to marriedc for the awesome siggy!***

IUI#1 - BFN
IUI#2 - BFN
IUI#3 - BFN
IUI#4 - BFN

March 23rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley54 View Post
I'm sorry I must have missed this yesterday. Welcome! I'm Coley (28) and DH is Matt (33) and we've been TTC for almost 3 years. We had 4 IUI's (one was after a laparoscopy) and not one of them took but we have Male Factor Infertility issues. I know lots of people who got pregnant on the first IUI we just weren't as lucky. I wish you the best of luck with your IUI! If it had been offered to me (and we could have afforded it) I would have done a second IUI. Not sure it would have helped us much as DH's swimmers don't really swim and are funny shaped.
Hi Coley! Thanks for the welcome! Both me and DH are 31. We've been TTC for nearly 3 years, but my very first time with fertility treatment. I was super nervous with my first IUI. For me, the infertility issues lies with me.

In the end, I opted out of the 2nd IUI. It was suppose to be today. The Dr instructed us to have intercourse today and the next day since I opted not to have the 2nd IUI. But if this one doesn't work out, I will definitely take advantage of the 2nd IUI option next time.

Good luck to you too! I hope we will all have happy news to share soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search