First Meeting with Infertility Doctor Help!

Forum: Trying to Conceive 1 Year +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Amychavez1986

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive 1 Year + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Amychavez1986's Avatar TTC #1
So I took the plunge and finally made an appointment with the Infertility doctor and I'm super nervous. Any tip or suggestion with all you experienced women? I am already going to ask to get checked out for PCOS since I'm overweight and that is a very likely reason why we haven't gotten pregnant yet, but anything else I should be checked for? What happens in the first appointment? is like every gyno appt? I am so scared they are gonna give me the worst news I could imagine....
March 25th, 2012, 07:13 AM
If you are going to an RE, they will most likely check everything and you will not need to ask for any tests. If you have to, you need to find another doctor!

A standard fertility workup includes blood work on you on the 3rd day of your cycle, an HSG (they use contrast to take an x-ray of your uterus and tubes), and an semen analysis. Mine also did blood work for my husband to get that out of the way in the event we did IVF. It is considered tissue transplant, so they have to follow that standard. Many hold off on that until you reach that point though.

Be prepared to go over your medical history, and that of your family. Generally after that they will wait for the test results and make a plan. It is very rare to get told you have absolutely no chance that you will conceive- often times it is a minor issue that is very easily solved. Sometimes they don't find an issue.

If you are concerned about weight, start making steps to correct that now. I was also overweight when I went in, but all of my tests came back perfect. It had no effect on my fertility.

Good luck to you and hopefully you will be pregnant very soon!
April 7th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Hi I am also getting ready to meet with the infertility doctor in may as well. I am super nuervous. Its hard not to be cuz your not really sure what to expect. I hope all goes well and baby dust to all.

~~~~~~Trying to concieve baby #1 since dec 2010~~~~~~~

Keeping the faith and in God's time we will have a wonderful blessing.
April 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Did you have the appointment already? How did it go?

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 15th, 2012, 11:28 AM
No I go Tuesday at 2:10, it got pushed back a bit. But I've been using that time to hit the gym and work further toward losing this weight so we can finally get a bfp!
April 15th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amychavez1986 View Post
No I go Tuesday at 2:10, it got pushed back a bit. But I've been using that time to hit the gym and work further toward losing this weight so we can finally get a bfp!
Good for you!! Let us know how it goes.

April 17th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Ok so the appt went pretty well. She was super nice and seemed to really care. She ordered labs done for me and my hubby. She went over the different drugs like clomid and the side effects and her 6 cycle policy. She also told me she wanted me to continue losing weight and get to a bmi of 30, which means I have about 140lbs to lose yikes! And she told us to up the gym trips a week to about 5 times, another yikes. But she seemed hopeful and encouraging. My question is she talked about xraying my tubes to check that they are open, but she said that since I have only had one partner and never had a std and I am young she said it wasn't necessary and can be very painful. Has anyone else done this before? Is it as painful as she says? Should I do it?
April 26th, 2012, 01:55 PM
TannersMommy's Avatar TansTinkleMommy
I have had an HSG, and it was uncomfortable especially afterwards, but not terrible. They basically just insert dye through a cathedar and watch it go through. I would think it would benefit you to have it done, simply to rule out anything. I had one tube that was a bit slower than the other, but not blocked, and the dye helps clean it out. Good Luck in whatever you decide!

April 26th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I've had an hsg too...in fact...I've had it done twice (the most recent one was this week!). We are looking into IVF and they wanted me to do it again since my first one was over a year ago. It's not all that bad, just a little awkward and a bit uncomfortable.

April 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah I think I'm gonna tell her I wanna do the hsg when we have a follow up appointment after my labs and my hubby's semen analysis results come in. I really don't want to leave any stone unturned so the pain or discomfort is worth it! Not to mention once I finally am pregnant and I am in labor, I bet the pain from the hsg will seem like nothing!
LilSunshine likes this.
May 4th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Yeah I think I'm gonna tell her I wanna do the hsg when we have a follow up appointment after my labs and my hubby's semen analysis results come in. I really don't want to leave any stone unturned so the pain or discomfort is worth it! Not to mention once I finally am pregnant and I am in labor, I bet the pain from the hsg will seem like nothing!
Haha...so true!

May 4th, 2012, 11:02 PM
My hubby did the sperm test yesterday! now i just got to do the second set of labs on the 16th and then the 23rd i have my 2nd appointment with my doctor to find out the results and to schedule the hsg!
May 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
My hubby did the sperm test yesterday! now i just got to do the second set of labs on the 16th and then the 23rd i have my 2nd appointment with my doctor to find out the results and to schedule the hsg!
Definitely keep us updated!

May 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Good Luck! How did your HSG go? I did my HSG months ago. After receiving feedback that my DH's sperm count was "EXCELLENT" we had that done. We then weren't successful and did Chlomid for 5 months. After that wasn't successful I had my first IUI done last week. Let us know what's next for you and if the HSG works. FX'd!
May 18th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Regular
YES! Good Luck!!! Will be thinking of you...
We weren't successful on Clomid either...so going to see the Doc in a months time...and get all the blood work and tests done...My DH will go for his sperm count too...a bit stressed about it...but hopefully we'll get some answers...
Have a great weekend Ladies!
May 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM
I have my appt with my doc on wed so Ill find out the results of all the labs then, and schedule the hsg. I am really hoping for good results on the labs, but not very hopeful. I have been losing weight and working out at the gym, then last week I got the flu and I gained weight back and I'm feeling very depressed about the whole ttc thing. I just feel like it's never gonna happen for me. Its just so hard, i had my mother-in-law ask if i was pregnant and I just broke down. I had to explain to her it wasn't considering I just ended a 3 week long period and I had no chance to even get pregnant cause obviously I didn't ovulate this month. Its just so heartbreaking especially since I had 3 friends give birth in the last 2 weeks and another 2 about to pop and one more a month after that! I just want to scream! I always wanted kids, my nickname growing up was mom since I mothered all my friends and family and lo and behold I'm the ONLY one of our family and friends who can't get pregnant!!!!! Sorry I had to vent

Tags
infertility , pcos , question , weight

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search