We just got back bad sperm analysis… feeling hopeless.

Forum: Trying to Conceive 1 Year +

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive 1 Year + LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Hi ladies,

I'm new here… here's our story so far...

Me-26, healthy, extremely active, A+ blood tests, health food junkie.
Him-28, healthy, extremely active, A+ blood tests, 90% health food junkie.

Sleeping together without BC for 4 years, using the pull out method until Oct/Sept of 2012. Of course we thought we would get pregnant right away…

Oct-May- Nothing. Tried BDing "on time". Learned a lot about ovulation and found maybe "on time" wasn't really our right time. Started taking tons of vitamins, cut alcohol, and most caffeine. Started charting but it made me totally insane. Found out my best girlfriend was pregnant after getting off BC for one month… didn't even have a period yet. Excited for her but also sad, we hoped maybe I would get pg soon and we could "do it together". On top of that mannny pregnancies were announced within our circle which left us feeling… on the outside because know one knew we were trying.

Early May- Went in for due pap, found out I had severe hpv. Scared and confused.

Mid May- Had leep done to rid of cancerous cells. Doc said she felt good about the surgery and as long as I healed right we could continue trying for baby mid June. (I somehow only missed one cycle. We were hopeful)

June-Dec- Tried being more "relaxed" (HA!) BDing every other day, every third day, when every we felt like it. Attempting to enjoy life and drank plenty of red wine in the process. Our moto… everyone gets pregnant when they're drunk and not even trying! Was not charting just tracking AF and marking down days we BD'd. No way in hell did we miss any chances in those months.

Mid/Late Dec- Doc called to check on me and we decided to move forward to see if something was wrong. Went in for an ultrasound that day. Blood test on Christmas eve. Best friends baby born Christmas morning. A flood of feelings.

Late Dec- Doc called said very happily that everything with me looks good! Ovulating normally, nothing bad in ultrasound pics (which has been a worry, as I crushed my pelvis in a bad horse riding accident years ago) Said next step is semen analysis.

Current- Got semen analysis back, regretfully opened it before dh got home from work. Read the results, look really bad. Tried to call doc right away but it was Fri night at 530 and the office is closed until Mon morning… started googling (bad idea) and dh came home to me sitting in the kitchen with tears in my eyes. Nothing good came after that. It's hard to see a man tear up…. Here's the results

Concentration aka count- 12 (normal >20)
Motile aka mobility- 13 (normal >50)
Progression- 1-2 (normal 2-4)
Morphology- 0 (normal >4%)
Total Motile Sperm- 5 (normal >20)
Viability- 43% (normal >65%)

From what I've read it seems IVF/ICSI might be our only option, if that. Of course this is from Dr. Google. If one of you ladies has any more info on what these numbers really mean, success stories, similar experience, or just want to join me in this journey it seems we'll be going down I would beyond appreciate it. Apart from 2 of my girlfriends (both who got pregnant at the drop of a dime) no one knows we're even trying. And obviously dh and I deal with things in different ways. Some days the loneliness is unbearable.
January 11th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Super Mommy to be
I can't pretend to know what seeing those results must have felt like but I am so sorry to hear you're dealing with it. We have not had any test of anything done so I can't offer any insight, hope, help, stories...nada, but I can lend support and hugs. If you wish to private message any time to vent feel free.
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins
January 11th, 2014, 04:52 PM
jes81878's Avatar Jennifer
I am by no means an expert, but we have been through a lot of testing and ended up doing IVF. It could have been a bad batch of sperm, and a sperm analysis should be repeated in a few months. A sperm analysis can change greatly in a few months. There is also supplements and other things that can be done to help sperm. Plus, you still have the option of IUIs and a few other things before considering IVF. Good luck
My Son 13
Husband no bio/children (but the best father ever to my two boys)
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

January 12th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the replies!

We are coming to terms with the results and we're thankful so far I'm ok fertility wise and thats a good thing. As long as we have some sperm to work with we have other options. A long road but at least its not the end of the road. I spent all day yesterday reading about IVF. If his sperm quality does not improve we would probably just go right to IVF with ICSI, between the morphology and mobility that makes the most sense.

We are a green juicing, organic eating, multi vitamin taking bunch over here already but he's been less then diligent about taking his vitamins. And over the holidays we drank plenty of wine and had massive amounts of antipasti. (I've heard cured meats are a big no no for swimmers) I went to the health food store yesterday and bought a bunch of other vitamins and herbs for him to take and we're going to really hone in on what were eating here while cutting most caffeine and all alcohol. It will be interesting to see if the next analysis is better.

Until then I calm myself by learning as much as I can. I found out that by some weird law in our state we "might" be covered for up to three rounds of IVF! I might be jumping the gun but I like to be prepared.

left_feild- Thank you for the well wishes, means a lot!

jes81878- Was your IVF successful?
January 12th, 2014, 05:34 PM
jes81878's Avatar Jennifer
Yes, my IVF was successful. I ended up with 17 eggs that were fertilized, and we had 9 that made it to a 5 day blast. We chose to transfer 2, and are expecting boy/girl twins. We also have 7 frozen embryos...if we decided to do future transfers. I would suggest that you go to the TTCMA form and ask questions there. They are a great group of women and can help with sperm supplements to IVF questions.

As far as insurance and state laws, most don't cover IVF. We were lucky and our insurance had a lifetime max of $10,000 for treatment and $5,000 for the meds. We are now maxed out and have to pay out of pocket for any future treatments.
My Son 13
Husband no bio/children (but the best father ever to my two boys)
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

January 14th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking. We were in a very similar position when TTC #2. All my tests were perfect and DH's SA was terrible. Very similar to your #s. The most concerning is the morphology which ironically is also the toughest to treat.

I'm sure your dr suggested this but I would have your DH see a urologist specializing in male fertility issues. There are a # of reasons his SA would be that poor: varicocele, hormone imbalance, etc and the first step is to figure out if there is anything he can do to improve the #s. Also do the basics, boxers, no hot tubs, no computers in the lap, no riding bicycles, up antioxidants (do google search for others).

Hugs! I know its tough to face but don't give up yet. If you want to hear more about my story feel free to pm me.

January 15th, 2014, 03:55 PM
im 41 dh 51 low sperm dr.used to say ivf is only our opsion,we said we will try for next 6 month if nothing happens we will come back,we stop trying to make baby so pressure was of from may husband and few month after surprise we are pregnant come as christmas present,dr.were surprise but i believe wright time babys will come.for my age there is only 10% chance and for my dh low sperm maybe even 5%,but trues is healthy pregnancy,delivery does happen .good luck
January 22nd, 2014, 01:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your situation. I want you to know your not alone. My husband and I were trying to get pregnant on our own for over 2 years and no luck.

We saw a fertility specialst and after 3 rounds of chlomid and 1 round of invitro we were blessed with beautiful twins.

Hang in there, you will be blessed as well.

xoxo TwinMom
January 27th, 2014, 05:25 PM
jshizz's Avatar PMA all day!
I just started my DH on prostate supplements, supposed to help overall quality of sperm. See if you can get that into the mix. I set reminders on my husbands phone to pop up 3 times a day when he should take them. That way, I don't have to nag or remember myself when I am at work.

I would do a repeat SA in a couple months. Like others said, they can vary DRASTICALLY, sometimes even if no changes are made.

And remember, it only takes 1 out of those millions of swimmers to make a baby!

GL

MC August 2000 (natural)
Nathan Albert 3/19/02 (from ex-husband)
MC October 2006 (D&C)
NTNP since November 2010
TTC since our wedding day in December 2011
TTCMA January 2014
IUI #1 - 1/20/14 - w/ 50 mg clomid
New RE!
IUI #2 - 3/23/14 - w/ 75 iU Gonal-f
IUI #3 - 5/16/14 - w/ 150 iU Gonal-f

ON A BREAK UNTIL AUGUST