First Appointment with RE...Need Advice!!

Forum: Secondary Fertility Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Secondary Fertility Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2011, 07:10 AM
Veteran
I have my first appointment with an RE in a couple weeks. I'm nervous but also a little excited. I'm afraid that he won't be a good RE and won't be as proactive as I want him to be. I was referred to him by my OB and googled him and he has good reviews, so we'll see.

I feel like I have lots of questions, but always seem to think of more questions after I leave appointments. I want to have a list of all of my questions before I go in so I can ask EVERYTHING! I also want to have a list of tests that I want done. I just want to know what is wrong with me and why I can't get pg.

My OB put me on Prometrium for a short LP due to a suspected low progesterone (she didn't do any testing). It is working, but still getting BFNs

My question is, what types of questions did you ask at your first appointment? What kinds of tests did you ask for?

I know I want to ask about O'ing late (around CD 22-24) and my short LP. As for testing, here is what I was thinking:

1. SA for DH - will the RE give DH an order for the testing or will he have to make an appointment with his own doctor? If he comes to the RE appointment with me, will be give him an order for the SA?

2. Thyroid testing for me

3. Day 3 testing - what all do they test for on CD 3 besides FSH?

4. Ultrasound to rule out mild PCOS.

4. HSG

5. CM testing - to rule out a hostile environment to DH's sperm

Anything else that I'm missing?
Me (30) + DH (29) = TTC #1

M/C 5/10/11 at 9w1d

Waiting to TTC again with Clomid/IUI.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/RNtobe
January 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Welcome to SI ! I am very sorry that you have to join us here but I hope that you will Stick around.

I have not been to an RE yet however I have started Medical Assisitance this cycle. On my last cycle my OB ordered a progesterone test at CD 21 ( I actually had it on CD 23, which was 7 DPO ).

My Progesterone came back at 2.3. My OB ordered tests on CD 3, they included Follicle Stimulating Hormone , Prolactin, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone , DHEA , Fasting Insulin and Fasting Glucose.

While waiting on those results he put me on a trial dose of Femara 2.5 mg to see if it would improve my progesterone levels.

My Ob told me that he wanted to hold off on things like the HSG and the CM tests because we were able to have our DS on our own with no problems and I have had no major infections since giving birth to DS.

Good Luck !

January 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
My RE went ahead and did the SA at our first appointment. You might want to try not to BD for 2-3 days before the appointment (and no "self-relieving" on his part if you kwim). Other than that, I think you have the basic stuff figured out.

They will likely check your progesterone, either on CD 21 or 7 days post ovulation (ask which way he wants you to do it. Mine said CD21 even though I knew I wasn't ovulating until CD 19 or so.). I had several tests done ahead of time so he already had results from those. We did DH's SA and then we scheduled to do a hysteroscopy and explorative laporoscopy on me. He was fairly certain that I had undiagnosed endometriosis, and wanted to do the surgery to remove that.

In the end, I didn't have endometriosis. They found some leisons where the fallopian tube on one side was anchored to the uterus so those were removed and they prescribed clomid because of late ovulation/short LP. Unfortunately he didn't seem to want to do any more than that for me. When I called back 7 or 8 months later (I had a six month supply of Clomid) he said to just keep trying. In a few months we are going to try to get a second opinion with another RE. Our situation is further complicated now with the fact that my husband and I are both full time students. We are going to have to time any fertility treatments so that a due date would fall in the summer so it didn't interfere with school.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search