question about Vitex?

Forum: Secondary Fertility Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Secondary Fertility Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran
Hello,
I thought I'd just dive right in! I have a question I'm hoping someone here might know something about

I want to try taking the herbal supplement Vitex since I've been hearing all these amazing things about it regulating your hormone levels. Here's my issue - I have a fairly regular cycle, it's almost always between 28-31 days and I ovulate between days 16-18 BUT I ALWAYS start spotting between 4DPO and 7DPO and by spotting I mean (so sorry if this is TMI )it starts off light brown just when wiping and progresses into full out "flow" of a mixture of blood and dark brown discharge and clotting even, sometimes it's so heavy that I have to use a tampon. This lasts right up until my period due and then a normal 5 day period starts. It's so frustrating.

Anyways! Can I take vitex to try to increase my progesterone during my luteal phase in this case (I'm convinced that's the problem since it was a major issue my first time around), even though routine wise I have a pretty regular cycle? But it's not a "normal" cycle. I've read conflicting things about this and I'm afraid to mess my cycle up even more.

Any advice regarding vitex at all would be appreciated!
Thank you
November 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Sorry....I'm not familiar with Vitex. Although, now I'm going to look into it!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
November 26th, 2011, 02:35 AM
swtneka's Avatar Praying for a miracle
I took vitex for bout 3 months it didn't do anything for me but I have heard that it does regulate your levels.

Thanks bonnie for my siggie

November 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM
JoyT, Your cycle sounds exactly the same as what mine has been doing for the last 2 months. Its so frustrating!! How are you supposed to figure things out??
Anyways, I also have vitex, but they are so big (I struggle with taking tablets) and to take 3 a day?? But i so want a baby!!
November 27th, 2011, 03:30 PM
TTC #1
I take 2 Vitex capsules w/ 100 mg of B6. The B6 helps the Vitex to work better, I don't remember how or why but I was told to take them together on an empty stomach. I also take 2 Red Raspberry capsules about 15 minutes after the Vitex & B6.

I've been taking it for 3 months. I had pretty regular cycles every 6 wks. I wanted to get it down to 4 wks. The first 2 months that I took it I didn't have a period.

This month I O'd around CD 16 I am and that it helps me to conceive.

I was told that you need to take it for 4 months since its a herb, so don't be too suprised if it takes it a while to start working.

Thats my .......GL

November 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran
GypsieRose02 - I know how you feel! It is sooo frustrating because I feel like with this happening I'm not even getting a chance to get pregnant ugh. And the gyno/ob that my GP sent me to took a quick look at me said "you're fine" and sent me back to my GP and I really believe that what's going on is not fine!

Danita79 - I'm glad to hear that you're now starting to even out with your cycle and O'ing on day 16 Yay! Baby dust to you! I just started taking a bunhc of the ones you took so I hope that happens to me too I have to admit I'm a little nervous after hearing that you didn't get your period for 2 months after you started taking the vitex Do you know if that's a common side effect?

Last night I had an acupuncture appointment, which I've been doing weekly for 4 months now, and this morning I started a new regimen of herbs and vitamins.
I am now taking Si Wu Tang - 1 packet 2x day, Vitex 400mg 4x day, B50 Complex 1x day, calcium, magnesium, Vit C and a prenatal vitamin. It feels like a lot and I hate taking so many pills but I'm willing to try anything if there's a chance it will help us have a baby.

Today a girl at work told me I should just stop worrying about it and just be happy that I already have one child. I've decided not to talk to her about this stuff anymore, I know you ladies can understand why! haha
December 6th, 2011, 07:58 AM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*lurking*

I started taking Vitex this past month for a variety of reasons. Mainly b/c of the fact that I've been suffering from PMDD for the past 6-9 months or so, and I've read that it can help with that.

I also used to have perfect 28 day cycles with a full 7 day AF pretty much my whole life, but for the past year or two they have stretched out to last around 6 weeks, and I would spot for almost a week before AF, then I would have AF for 3 days then more spotting for a week. It was totally whacky. I never knew when to expect AF and never knew when I was O'ing.

Since taking it though, I didn't have PMS AT ALL this month, and no crazy acne either, and AF started exactly on day 28 again!! I didn't realize that it would start working so quickly! I didn't even start using it until half way though my cycle also. Even if it doesn't help me get pregnant, just taking it for what it has done so far is worth it, although getting pg would be a GREAT side effect. haha!

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
December 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Veteran
Wow that did work fast for you somo_chickenlady! I hope I'm as lucky So far I haven't noticed anything but I'm only on Day 11 of my cycle so I don't expect to see any difference yet. I'll be watching to see if taking it has effected when I O and if I still get that week of spotting before AF (hopefully not! fingers crossed)
December 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck! I hope it works for you!

I have had a bunch of losses, and I know I have a history of low progesterone, so I'm hoping this helps with that also. I think it did b/c my boobs were HUGE after I started taking it. haha! My hubby loved that.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
December 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM
captbabs's Avatar Arrgghh we be knocked up!
I LOVE vitex!!! Some really wonderful ladies told me about it on babycenter. I really enjoyed this website for reference:

Healthnotes brought to you by Publix

I had the Mirena IUD taken out July 2010 intending to conceive our second child. Our 5 yr old was a surprise in between missed months of BC. My cycles started out around 30 days but eventually became very long at 41 days. I wasn't o'ing until CD21 or higher. Once it was CD29!!! I felt very discouraged. So I started taking one pill 3xs a day on June 3, 2011 which was CD7 and o'ed on CD21 and ended up with a 33 day cycle. I felt like I accomplished something b/c the previous month I did not O until CD29 and ended up with a 41 day cycle. I continued taking it the second month and o'ed CD18 with a 31 day cycle. Even more excited that month! The 3rd month wasn't so successfull; however, I missed about 4 days worth of meds b/c I was on vacation. I didn't O until CD26 and ended with a 42 day cycle. I also had a horrible period that month!! I started taking 4 pills twice a day instead per one of my friends. The fourth cycle I o'ed CD21 with a 34 day cycle. I decided to start temping b/c I really felt something was wrong. I love temping too b/c it shows you so much! The 5th cycle I continued with the same two pills twice a day regimen. I was elated to O on CD15!!! I unfortunately ran out of pills right after I o'ed. However, I was happy to finally after 16 long months to get my BFP on 11/11/11 which was 13DPO!!!

The other benefits was my PMS generally was much better. Boobs weren't as sore and the cramps were minor. I normally cramp before AF, but I didn't on vitex. I think it's a great thing to try out. It's natural and doesn't have any crazy side effects. Do your research and you'll see. I do know it helps your Luteal phase. Good luck and I hope you all get your BFP's soon!!!
11/11/11 after 16 months TTC!
#2 to arrive 7/21/2012

Last edited by captbabs; December 8th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
December 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I have these pills but im terrible at taking tablets especially 3 times a day. They are huge! Ive gotta get past that and just do it.
December 19th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Branduxa's Avatar Praying for #2
I decided to try herbal meds after a year of trying. We've been trying since Aug of 2010. I got off birth control and had 2 normal periods and then my periods stopped. I didn't get one for 6 months so I finally went to the dr. I was sent to an Ob who did nothing for me basically cept give me meds to force one period. So in July of 2011 I decided to give an herb called Dong Quai a try. It have me god awful headaches so I stopped taking it after two weeks. Good note about that is that in Sept of 2011 I had the 1st normal period (w/o a forced period from the dr) since my periods stopped after getting off bcp in Aug 2010. And I got BFP in Oct. Sadly that pregnancy ended in miscarriage.

Well since I had such luck on herbs I wanted to try again, but not the Dong Quai I couldn't handle those headaches. I started looking at websites and my sister in law had told me she got pregnant on chastberry (which is vitex). I decided to give it a try and ordered Chastberry from walgreens. Unfortunately when I got it in the mail it had Dong Quai in it and in a higher dose than the Dong Quai I have at home already. I did go ahead and take the pills anyway for about 3 weeks. I started getting headaches again but on a positive note I noticed about it was that my cervical mucus was A LOT better. But again I couldn't deal with the headaches and quit taking it. I ordered another form of Vitex from gaia herbs and just started taking it today. I'm going to start out with one pill a day to see how I do then I might increase the dosage. We shall see!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search