On Post or Off?

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Armywife
Do any of you live on Post??
We have new housing being built here and some are really nice, I have been on the list for a year......NOTHING! We really could use the extra money though.
August 13th, 2004, 03:59 PM
YankeeMom
We own our own home off post

I'm confused what you mean by "could use the extra money". You lose BAH when you go into housing Oh wait, okay. Der! Maybe you mean your rent off post is more than your BAH
August 13th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Janelle's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Janelle Send a message via Yahoo to Janelle
Yah and the fact that the money they give you to live off post is still not enough to take care of electric water trash plus rent!!!

August 13th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Veteran
We live in base housing, but it's not ON the base per say. It's just down the street from it. I LOVE my house!!! Our units were completely gutted and renovated back in 2000 so everything in the house is still fairly new. That whole "free room and board" thing is a nice perk too!
August 13th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Armywife
Quote:
Originally posted by YankeeMom@Aug 13 2004, 05:59 PM
I'm confused what you mean by "could use the extra money". You lose BAH when you go into housing Oh wait, okay. Der! Maybe you mean your rent off post is more than your BAH
On post you do not pay for water, electricity, and trash.
you loose BAH, but the only bills you pay are your phone and internet, and ofcourse personal (carpmts and such)BAH is gone anyways towards rent!
August 13th, 2004, 08:58 PM
klein.Mama.mich's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to klein.Mama.mich Send a message via Yahoo to klein.Mama.mich
We are on base.. It would take all of our BAH to pay half the rent on a home big enough for us.. Much cheaper.. But also just as bad.. I hate waiting lists.. I have to deal with that now because of the PCS in Oct. 3 to 6 months to get a place, if we want new (currently being built) it will be 6 to 9 months.. And they want to do this during a school year?? OI
Family Website | Photos | Memories of Yesterday</span>

August 14th, 2004, 04:11 AM
YankeeMom
I guess we're pretty lucky then. Our BAH covers our mortgage, with *plenty* left over for utilities The only thing that comes out of pocket is our homeowners insurance (which is LESS than the renters insurance we had when we lived in housing) and our tax escrow

After living in the housing we just moved from, I will never ever live in housing again. Having utilities paid for is not worth the crap we had to put up with
August 23rd, 2004, 11:40 AM
Ma2RayPooh
we just bulit a house 3yrs ago in Oct. but for the first 3yrs we lived on base housing. which SUCKED!
August 23rd, 2004, 07:21 PM
Echo's Avatar Member
Send a message via AIM to Echo Send a message via Yahoo to Echo
We live in an apartment right off post.

DH and I spent a lot of our childhoods living in housing. We've had enough of that. LOL

August 24th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Armywife
I know there is new housing here for our rank...they just won't cough them up!
August 24th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
We decided to live on base cause of the high cost of living area (DC) and the traffic. this house is AWFUL!!! Its been condemned for the last 3yrs. I have had rats, snow in my living room, a flood everytime it rains, and electrical problems. Lucky we didn't have a fire. They are building new housing next to us, but are having tons of problems with the contractors. Bad thing about government, they have to go with the lowest bidder. There was talk that the government was suing the building company. They were using substandard materials and there was mold growing in the houses over the winter. They look pretty, but I guess they are very poorly built. When we PCS we are buying, but DH talked to some SGT at work and evidently a 3 yr controlled tour doesn't neccessarilly mean we will move in 3 yrs. He said we would have to go to an overseas base to get out of here, and DH is not medically qualified to go overseas or we will have to go to another special assignment. He has had nothing but special assignments since 93!!! So we will see.... We really want out of here, so I don't know. Maybe he can volunteer for Germany and waiver the medical code C.....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search