Careers of Military Wives and Mothers

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2009, 01:00 PM
BBKT's Avatar Veteran
With the unpredictability of the military and motherhood, I'm wondering what everyone does for a living. Let's face it- military pay isn't that great, even with the benefits and housing. And having a family is expensive. I'm curious to know if anyone works outside the home or from home, and what you do. I'm a social worker at a homeless shelter right now, but with another pending PCS, I'm thinking about getting training as a medical transcriptionist and picking up some extra work (possibly from home, if I can manage it). What does everyone else do?

7/2013
May 31st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, DH is signing up at the MEPS tomorrow, so I am not actually a military wife yet, but I plan to SAH. We did this before and he made less than the army is going to pay him, so we are coming out better. I plan to start a charity and go back to school after we get to our first post after BCT and AIT.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

May 31st, 2009, 01:47 PM
DavidandJaidonsmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Right now I'm a sahm and student. I plan to be a dental hygienist.

Bree - Mom to David - 10 & Jaidon - 8
Baby#3:
Beta 4/25 @ 16dpo 622 4/29 @ 20dpo 2013
10wk hb 172

May 31st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
I am a student [well, on break right now until the fall], working toward my English and Communications degree to become a teacher. My husband is getting the heck out though by the time I'm done with my degree though.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

May 31st, 2009, 04:21 PM
lindseyp1019's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I work at home, as a home child care provider.

*Lindsey, proud mamma to Kyle and Cade!*
May 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Caitlin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am going to school for Medical Transcription.
May 31st, 2009, 06:18 PM
Sue46's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a teacher, very portable career.

FYI military one source is offering 6000 in tuition assistance for ANY portable career to any spouse (as long as the military member has at least 1 yr left on his contract).

I'm using it to help pay for my VA certification courses and exams.

June 1st, 2009, 03:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a nurse so I can take my job anywhere but this recession is surprisingly hitting nurses pretty bad.
June 1st, 2009, 05:29 AM
SummerBabies11's Avatar Mega Super Duper Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I'm a teacher, very portable career.

FYI military one source is offering 6000 in tuition assistance for ANY portable career to any spouse (as long as the military member has at least 1 yr left on his contract).

I'm using it to help pay for my VA certification courses and exams.

awesome!

June 1st, 2009, 06:24 AM
AmandaR
I'm a SAHM.
June 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM
danniegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are a dual military Family. I have a year left on my enlistment but unsure if i want to stay in.

June 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM
~Ivy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a teacher but am not sure if I'll continue to do so. Teacher's salaries arent' that great and I could possibly be a SAHM once Dh goes active.

My Blog

June 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Super Mommy
I'm SAHM.Some days i wish i had a job,but i also know that in this economy would be hard to find a good paying job that will cover child care and i have some money left to bring it home.
So far we are doing fine with just my DH working.
June 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM
Jen1409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Jen1409
see this thread about medical transcription I posted
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f5...y-spouses.html (Medical Transciption/ Coding and Billing training for free for military spouses)
June 2nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I am the active duty member and up until about a year ago we were duel military. DH got a job with the state in Feb though and that has been great. We like the extra money. Not sure how we are going to handle any moves because we did half our time in the service as duel military it made it easy to move and keep two incomes.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
ShanMarie's Avatar Is it spring yet?
I SAH because it would be ridiculous for us to have me work since we would have to put two in daycare. So for now, I stay home. I do want to do some online classes this fall though.
Preston-3
Cameron-1

June 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I work full time in an insurance agency.
DH is currently deployed and hoping to go full time when he returns home next year.If he does that I will more than likely quit work to become a sahm.

June 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH is an EMT, so he can work anywhere. He currently is employed by a hospital as a patient care technician (liek a med tech). He hasn't worked there in a while though. He just started working at the Portait Studio in Target on Sat. I am very excited about his new job. It pays a lot less, but it is good experience. He is going to start his own photography business doing portraits, so this job is good eperience.

He is also going to school to be a teacher. So another portable job. I really want him to focus on his home business though, but he want something more dependable.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was working as an admin assistant when we got married. I had a very stable job, and was building a decent resume. The military moves (two in 16 months, because I moved to be with him, and then we moved to a new station 16 months later) have ruined my resume. I have been passed up for several jobs due to "lack of job stability," because it took me ten months to find a job in Beaufort, SC, which has a poor economy anyway, not just now. And here in the city of Green Bay? Companies going under left and right, so much competition that I doubt my resumes are even being read.

I am now applying at temp agencies, will try retail next if those don't lead anywhere. We need my paycheck to save up for when we separate.

June 25th, 2009, 11:38 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
At our last base I worked for AAFES until I got pregnant, before that I worked for a bank as a financial advisor. We moved in January and so far I'm a SAHM, I will go back to work when our LO is in preschool. I'm looking to go back to school for a portable career, possibly as a medical ultrasound technician.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search