Anyone had issues with taxes in VA ????

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The reason im asking is bc i moved there w/dh june 04-oct 07 so i worked for 2yrs and we filed income tax for the yr of 05.

Well i got a call from a collection agency stating i owed taxes for the yr of "05" and it had gone to collection bc they sent me a letter to notify me in 08 , i no longer lived there WE TRF in oct 07.

They are stating i owe state of va 1200.00 for the yr of 05 yes we did owe that yr and they took all our income tax we only had a refund of under 500 bc they took dh returns bc we owed.

I hate VA they are sooo money greedy. Has anyone dealt with a smilier issue??

I would of never worked there if i knew this would of happen , i have read soo many stories on line how va state has screw ppl over.

i dont know what to do , can we some how get help through military?

the collection agency calimes we need to pay it by monday or they will garnish my wages , which i do not work. Im so furstrated with this crap and they just called me yesterday about this.

June 26th, 2009, 10:59 AM
ShanMarie's Avatar Is it spring yet?
Hmmm...were you are "resident" of Va at the time? Or did you still claim residency elsewhere? I think there may be some kind of exemption for being military and being a non resident.

Like for us, we claim residency in the state of Texas. Even though I did work in Va, I didnt have to file state taxes because I am not a resident of this state. Does that make sense? I filed thru Turbo Tax, so I didnt make any mistakes. Granted, I didnt make a lot of money, but still.
Preston-3
Cameron-1

June 26th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanMarie View Post
Hmmm...were you are "resident" of Va at the time? Or did you still claim residency elsewhere? I think there may be some kind of exemption for being military and being a non resident.

Like for us, we claim residency in the state of Texas. Even though I did work in Va, I didnt have to file state taxes because I am not a resident of this state. Does that make sense? I filed thru Turbo Tax, so I didnt make any mistakes. Granted, I didnt make a lot of money, but still.
Yes it does make sense , We too filed it with turbo tax and we claim residency of texas i never changed my Licence to va although they kept harrising me when i went to court for i ticket i had to pay. I mean i only made like 8thousand that yr , i called Va tax dept and they claimed that my ferderal income did not match my state reported, so we either filed less or not enough , i dont believe we made an error on the turbo tax. soo confuse....

Oh i never claimed residecy there i lived in housing so it should count if your mility , we should be exempt right?

Last edited by yoyomama; June 26th, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
June 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The only issues we've had so far with Virginia taxes have been them trying to collect personal property taxes on our vehicles. But all we had to do was take in a copy of LES to show we are not residents of the state.

June 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well i hope we can resolve this , I have come across alot of people that have had the same issue but once they have moved away.... real shady... I think what happen is that they think i made more bc they are counting my dh income for that year... who knows

July 5th, 2009, 04:08 AM
SummerBabies11's Avatar Mega Super Duper Mommy
I'm in VA, and DH just does it online. everything has worked out really well. I know he had to file in NC as well since that is where he was from, and where his liscense was I guess. But now that his liscense is VA, he just does VA

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search