How to help him deal with PTSD?

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2009, 03:23 AM
sweetmelissa's Avatar Live.Laugh.Love.
My husband was recently diagnosed with PTSD. We've been thinking for a while that he had it but had to wait and wait and wait for the DR to refer him to get the testing done. We move home to FL because the Army is medically retiring him and the day he goes to the VA to get his benefits and stuff they test him that day. Turns out he has it and its worse then what we thought.

How can I help him deal with this? He's having nightmares everything night. He wakes up screaming so loud that it wakes up our kids and freaks out our 18 month old son so bad that some days he won't go to daddy.

He's temper is shorter then normal. He's quicker to yell at our son. He's even hit him a few times. Which I do not approve of. Troy did not deserved to be hit. I did yell at him but I'm trying to be understanding. I know that if he wasn't dealing with this he wouldn't of done it. He's never hit him hard enough to leave a bruise or mark. Just enough that it hurts for a minute. He usually apologizes and regrets it instantly.

I won't allow him to drive because he gets road rage so bad. Not to mention he was a truck driver in the Army and sometimes he has flashbacks to being over there while he driving. Thankfully never when the kids were in the car. So I refuse to let him drive and he hates not being able to.

Like I said before I'm trying to be understanding but besides that I'm not sure what else I can do. He is suppose to go to counseling for a while and see if it helps. I hope it does. I really do.
July 3rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*hugs*

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

July 4th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Is in-patient treatment a possibility? It sounds like he needs to go somewhere to get some professional help and really focus on that, especially if he is endangering himself or your family. Hitting is hitting - doesn't matter if it leaves a bruise or not, an 18 month old doesn't understand anything other than his Daddy hurt him - kwim?

I haven't gone through this, but I wanted to offer you tons of hugs and support. I can't even imagine how hard this must be on your family.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

July 4th, 2009, 04:16 AM
bittersweet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did they put him any medications? If not, he may benefit from some, especially at night. While they dont fix the problem, they can help tremendously in dealing with the symptoms.

As far as what you can do....well, sorry to say but things will probably get worse before they get better. Especially when you move to FL. Do you best to keep him engaged. Sitting at home and withdrawling from the world will do him no good. Try to help him find a job right away. Its a tough situation but you are certainly not alone.

July 5th, 2009, 03:46 AM
SummerBabies11's Avatar Mega Super Duper Mommy
I'm sorry you are dealing with that! I just recently found out my bro is on meds from being deployed. I was shocked, I had no idea.

I haven't dealt with PTSD, but I think my hubs has a bad enough temper, he has gotten better though. I just try to make the environment for my son happier than it is at the given time.

I am glad you have been able to figure out the problem though!

July 5th, 2009, 04:54 AM
sweetmelissa's Avatar Live.Laugh.Love.
They haven't been able to give him any meds yet because his PTSD Dr and his normal Dr are having a hard time finding something that will help and not react with his other pills he's taking.

He hasn't been able to get a job because his case manger and his case mangers boss at the VA thinks that he may get 100% because of his back, disease and now the PTSD. So they told him he can not work until we find out. If the VA gives him 100% non workable and he has a job then we won't get any money. So he's been sitting at home. He has gone out and worked on his car (he's fixing up a camaro) and it's been helping him. We go over my cousins house and he'll do laps in the pool and he comes out smiling and in a good mood for the rest of the day.

He has his first scheduled counseling at McDill AFB in two weeks. After that he can be referred to a civilian dr who's closer.

Thanks ladies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search