A few Q's

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
Hello all!

I don't believe I've posted in here before so I'll do a small intro first. My name is Ashley, I'm due late next month with my first. The father is a long time friend of mine who is AD Army. I was also an Army brat myself so I'm at least a little familiar with some basics.

But because we aren't married, and because it's been at least 10 years since my Dad was enlisted, I have a few questions. Mostly, what needs to be done to have our baby listed as his dependent? We've decided that she'll be on his insurance (which if I've read the Tricare manual correctly she will be on Prime Remote since I live over 50 miles from the base he's stationed at) but I'm not exactly sure of everything that goes into it. Is there anything that needs to be/can be done now before the birth so benefits can start ASAP?

Also, for child support purposes, does anyone have any idea how much more pay he will receive for having her listed as a dependent?

I've heard there is a possibility that he could receive additional leave when she's born, is that true? He's said he'll only have emergency leave.

Even better, is there anything I can look at online, or is there anything another Army friend of mine can access to find this information?

TIA!
July 5th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Child support will be based on his rank and you'll need a court order.

Tricare won't start until the day the baby is born - all he has to do is enroll the baby into DEERS, I believe. You'll have to go to the Tricare office at the base he's at first, I think ... but then yes, you could have the baby on Prime Remote. Your best bet is to call Tricare to talk to one of their reps about details.

As far as leave, he can be authorized up to 10 days paternity leave - BUT it has to approved by his command. He can take regular leave, too - but again, has to be approved.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

July 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM
ShanMarie's Avatar Is it spring yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy4x4 View Post
Child support will be based on his rank and you'll need a court order.

Tricare won't start until the day the baby is born - all he has to do is enroll the baby into DEERS, I believe. You'll have to go to the Tricare office at the base he's at first, I think ... but then yes, you could have the baby on Prime Remote. Your best bet is to call Tricare to talk to one of their reps about details.

As far as leave, he can be authorized up to 10 days paternity leave - BUT it has to approved by his command. He can take regular leave, too - but again, has to be approved.
I asked Josh this since he is in admin and he said that to get the 10 days leave you have to be married. That is not saying that he cant take leave, but the 10 days leave that they are given if you are married. Some of our friends got bit by this too. They werent married and he wasnt allowed the 10 freebie days. It doesnt hurt to ask, but he shouldnt just expect that.

As for Tricare...he will have 60 days from the birth to get her enrolled into DEERS and Tricare. The baby will covered and it is retroactive to the time of birth. In order to get them enrolled into DEERS, he needs to add the baby to his Page 2, take the copy of the verification of birth from the hospital and/or the SS card, and the DD1172 to the Tricare office to get her enrolled.

Here is a link for you that explains it better.

https://www.hnfs.net/bene/enrollment/addFamilyMember/
Preston-3
Cameron-1

July 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You shouldn't have any problem getting her enrolled in Tricare as long as the father is working with you on that.

The pay he will receive (assuming he currently lives in the barracks) is called BAH Differential Allowance - it's the difference between BAH for single member of his rank and a married member. Since BAH is based on location it depends on where he is stationed. If he was say an E4 stationed at Ft Bragg he would receive $246 a month.

If you know his zip code you can look up the exact amount here.
Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)
July 8th, 2009, 10:39 AM
alycat's Avatar Mommy to Jack
the other mommies are totally correct...
he has to enroll the baby in DEERS with it's birth certificate & SS card
their pay depends on rank and dependents, & where they live.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search