August Buddies: jessesgirl24 and bubsmommy

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Dakotas_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Yahoo to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotas_mom
Here are a few questions to get your conversations started but feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like to get to know each other better. The goal is to try to get to know your buddy as well as possible during this month! Have fun.

-Name(No last names please)?
- SOs Name?
-Birthday?
-Where you are originally from?
-Where you live now?
-Kids?
-Pets?
-Branch of service/how many years?
-Hobbies?

Random Question of the month:
-How has your summer been going so far? Are there any NEW things that have happened this summer?

August 8th, 2010, 11:56 AM
jessesgirl24
-Name(No last names please)? Kim
- SOs Name? Jesse
-Birthday?December 11, 1986
-Where you are originally from? Upstate NY
-Where you live now? Barksdale AFB, LA
-Kids? Sebastian 14 months
-Pets? Peanut my dog
-Branch of service/how many years? AF almost 6
-Hobbies? Scrapbooking

-How has your summer been going so far? Are there any NEW things that have happened this summer?

My summer has been wayyyy too hot lol. I found out that I am pregnant with baby #2
August 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM
bubsmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
-Name(No last names please)? Cynthia
- SOs Name? Matthew
-Birthday? 24 August (in a couple of weeks, blah)
-Where you are originally from? Lafayette, TN (about an hour NE of Nashville. And it is pronounced La Fett, not La Fe Ett like they to in LA. lol)
-Where you live now? Belton, MO, just south of Kansas City
-Kids? Gabriel, a little over 2 and a half
-Pets? two, Lucy, a black lab/german shepard mix who is 5 and Scrooge, a british shorthair cat who is 18.
-Branch of service/how many years? Army, 12 years. We joke that they will have to kick him out because retirement is not in his vocabulary lol.
-Hobbies? I don't really have a lot of hobbies. I enjoy reading, Country music, Contemporary Christian music, singing, playing boardgames with Dh and ds (although Gabe is still learning lol).

-How has your summer been going so far? Are there any NEW things that have happened this summer? It's been a pretty ok summer. Nothing new really happened, but I did get to see Jake Owen and Darryl Worley up close and personal so that made my summer lol.

Congrats on the new little one!! When are you due? Any names picked out yet?
August 8th, 2010, 04:03 PM
jessesgirl24
Thanks! I'm due on March 5th. We are still up in the air mostly on names. We have a couple picked out but nothing definite yet. For a girl we are thinking Addison or Savannah and for a boy Hayden.

Do you work or stay at home?
August 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM
My anniversary is March 13th, lol. March is a good month . I love the name Addison! If we ever had a little girl, that's what I wanted to name her, but Matt doesn't like it for some strange reason or another.

I stay at home. I have stayed at home since I was made to quit work at 14 weeks pg. I love it! how bout you??
August 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM
jessesgirl24
I stay at home as well. Daycare is just too expensive, it wouldn't have really made sense financially for me to go back to work. I hope to go back to work after the new lil one is done breastfeeding.

My hubby hated the name Sebastian at first... I had to keep pushing it until he finally loved it lol.

Are ya'll going to have any more kids?
August 9th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hahaha, when I was pregnant with Gabe we fought over names from day one lol. He was Lucas up until two weeks before I had him, and neither of us were really in love with that name it was just the one that neither of us hated lol. I'm just glad I didn't let MIL get him a blanket embroidered like she wanted to before he was born lol. We are on the fence about having any more. It took us almost 3 years and medical assistance to get Gabe and neither of us know if we want to go through that again. I do, but I don't, if that makes sense.

Do you enjoy being a military wife?

Last edited by bubsmommy; August 9th, 2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: I can't spell today.
August 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM
jessesgirl24
I totally understand that. I can imagine how stressful it would be esp. now having another lil one to take care of.

Ugh I HATE being a military wife lol. But I won't be for much longer The hubby is seperating later this year. 6 years has been long enough for us. How bout you?

What activities do you enjoy doing w/ ur DS during the day to keep you busy?
August 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM
That's great that you guys are on the same page about that! What will he be doing once he gets out?

I love being a military wife, but I realize that I'm a minority lol. Most of the wives that I have met (especially where we are now) aren't fond of it. I had never had any contact with military as my uncles who were in were out before I ever came along. It was definately an eye opening experience lol. Really, the only bad thing I can say about it is the deployments. He's been deployed three times since we've been together, 18 months, 9 months, and 15 months. Before we met he had been several places that he can't tell me. it's ok though because I honestly think it has made us stronger as a couple.

What do we do? Oh gosh, what do we not lol. Before they started issuing heat advisories and telling everyone to stay indoors we went to the park, went swimming, walked (well I walked, he rode his tricycle or his cozy coupe lol). Now that we are stuck inside I try to do as much as possible to keep him happy. He's very busy, so alot of times he just wants to play by himself because he doesn't want to be stuck on one thing (puzzles, blocks, etc), he wants to be able to just do, kwim. i also brought his cozy coupe and tricycle inside so he can ride them in the kitchen/dining room area. We are working on potty training at the moment and it's not going so well lol. He wants to go, tells me he needs to go, but when we get there, he won't. As soon as I put the pull up back on him, he goes! hopefully he will catch on pretty soon lol.

You said you were from upstate NY. Which area? Our other choice when we came here was Long Island and I have never been any further than Ohio (never even been on that actual side of the states lol) so I was scared to go lol. Do you still have family up there? Are you close with them? Is that where you guys are going when he gets out?
August 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
jessesgirl24
He's going to use his GI Bill when he gets out!. With the housing allowance that they are given now it should be really helpful. Yea we are going to be moving back near our family. It has been really hard for me to be away from them! I am very close with them and esp. now that we have the baby it makes it even harder. This month will mark a year since I have seen them, which has been the longest I have been away. But with us getting ready to move home the hubby decided that it would be best for us just to save our money and wait.

I'm hoping that as soon as the new baby is done breastfeeding I'll be able to go back to work. I just finished my bachelor's degree and we will def need the extra income to pay back these awful student loans.

I'm from the Catskill Mountains. Catskill Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's so beautfiul there, no where I have been really compares! That's another reason why I can't wait to go home. I hate the heat and humidity here.

My hubby grew up on Long Island. A very busy place lol.

Where all have you been stationed? where was ur fave place? where do you think you will settle after he retires?
August 11th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I'm glad you will be able to be close to your family again! That is awesome that you are from the Catskills. I have heard that it is beautiful up there. Maybe one day I will get a chance to see them. I'm not close to my family, but I am with DH's. They live about an hour from memphis, tn.

Since DH and I have been together we have been at Ft Campbell, KY and here at what used to be Richards Gebaur AFB in Belton, MO, on the outskirts of Kansas City. It's now Marine MOBCOM, but they have an Army unit here. I LOVED Ft Campbell and miss it. We still own a house there, but are thinking about selling given the trouble we've been having with the renter we had. DH has been to Ft Leonard Wood, MO, Ft Huachuca, AZ, and then was at Campbell for 7 years. He has been TDY a crapload of places,lol. We joke that the Army will have to kick him out because retirement's not in his vocabulary lol. His goal is to become a command sergeant major. When he does retire, we are planning on either going back to Clarksville, TN or close by, or to East TN in the Knoxville/Crossville/Pigeon Forge area.

Congrats for getting your bachelor's! What did you get it in?
August 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM
jessesgirl24
I love TN. We went to Pigeon Forge one year on vaca it is beautiful there as well!!! I'm hoping to get to go back there for vaca once the kids get a lil older. We stayed at this cabin in the woods up on this mountain. it was soooo nice.

I got my bachelors in sociology. Not really sure what I'm going to do w/ it yet lol. I want to try being a case worker to see if i like it and then potentially get my master's to become a Social Worker. if it's worth it though lol i don't know how much more they make

Is it nice where you live? Here is hit or miss. the neighborhood we live in is nice and there are several surrounding neighborhoods that are as well but it you go to the other side of the base it is verrryyy scary lol. do ya live on base or have a house there as well?
August 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM
The town in TN that I was born and raised in is literally on top of a hill lol. I was raised in the country surrounded by trees, hills, etc. TN is home, kwim. We always stay in the same hotel in Gatlinburg just off the strip. It's right off the nature trail so we can walk from the hotel to the trail, or hotel to the strip, don't have to pay for parking lol. This will be our first year going to Dollywood and I'm excited about that. DH loves Dolly, so I'm hoping she will be there and he can catch a glimpse of her lol. my MIL and DH also plan on going zip lining. Yeah, I'll stay and watch lol.

We do live on base here. It's a tiny little base. 77 homes in the new housing area and 50 in the old. We live in new housing. They are all single family homes (no duplexes or anything) with fenced in backyards, sidewalks, etc. Old housing are all duplexes but they are selling about half that area to the city and the city is tearing it down and building a park. We lived in old housing for six months before a new one became available. I liked living in old housing because the streets are all tree lined and the houses had hardwood floors. They were old, obviously, having been built in the 50's, but in good shape. They had basements and I hated that part. I'm a wuss lol. I really like the area that we live in. We are about 20 minutes from Kansas City, an hour from Ft Leavenworth, and surrounded by tons of stuff to do (museums, malls, parks, petting zoo just to name a few). What I don't like is the people. (No offense to anyone on here, just the people that I have come in contact with here.)
I am used to frendliness, no backstabbing, no "you did this, oh, well, i've done this better" type stuff. Here it's not like that. I have been stabbed in the back twice in the time we've lived here, if you go out to eat, customer service more or less sucks, at the stores, etc it's the same way. I just try to smile, be as nice and polite as I can, and not let it bother me, but it's hard to not, kwim.

What kind of music do you like? Do you like to read? What's your favorite genre?
August 12th, 2010, 07:12 PM
jessesgirl24
I totally know what you mean w/ ppl being rude! lol 'Southern hospitality' does not exist in Louisiana! lol. I guess because I'm not from here some of the things they say and the way they are said just come off as sooooo rude and obnoxious lol.

I love all kinds of music really, but alternative rock and pop are really my faves. The Goo Goo Dolls are my all time fave!! I don't really get to read too much. Until June all I had read for almost 5 years was text books lol. When I do get a chance thou I enjoy Nicholas Sparks and John Grisham. Mystery books are really my favorite.

What types of movies do you like to watch? Does your son watch any tv? I feel like I am always watching the disney channel lol. I'm like addicted to all their shows. Do you have any fave tv shows?
August 13th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Oh yeah, southern hospitality doesn't come up to MO either lol. I won't ever forget the first time I opened my mouth in his unit. I kid you not everybody just stopped talking and stared at me. (I have an accent, DH has worked to get rid of his lol) I'm sir, ma'am, plese me, pardon me, etc and they are just so not used to that. I'm also going to have to teach them how to make sweet tea! It's like they have uber sweet and unsweet lol. Back home "regular" means sweet so the first time I was asked here if I wanted regular I said yes and got the shock of my life when it was unsweet lol.

I am a bookworm. At any given time I've always got a book that I'm in the middle of reading. I go to the library every week to week and a half. I also have my own "collection" that I really need to get rid of a bunch of lol. I just got a new phone, a Droid, and it has a Kindle app on it and I am in love. DH is happy because since it has GPS and a Kindle, he doesn't have to buy me either one now lol. I like country music and contemporary christian. Movies I'm very ecclectic with. I'm a nerd (and not too proud to admit it!!) so I like all of the X Men, Fantastic 4, The Incredible Hulk, Lord of the Rings, but I also like the Twilight stuff, most action movies, some drama, basically if it looks good I'll watch it lol.

Gabe does watch some TV. He likes to watch it more when he first gets up and is eating breakfast than anything. He likes Super Why, Dinosaur Train, Sesame Street, and Clifford. He's a Cars fanatic, and likes Thomas the Train (he has more movies than anything that he watches on car trips), Scooby Doo. It stays on all day, but mostly for noise. Now, I like the Disney Channel lol. I love Phineus and Ferb, Sonny with a Chance, and yes, I will admit, Camp Rock and I'm super excited for Camp Rock 2. Told you I'm a nerd. lol. I do DVR regular adult tv. *sigh* guess I have to have something to show I'm almost 31 lol. I like Army Wives, Bones, Drop Dead Diva, NCIS, the Mentalist, and have gotten totally hooked on Memphis Beat.

Are you a foodie?? Where do you like to go out to eat? What are your favorite things?

Last edited by bubsmommy; August 13th, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
August 13th, 2010, 09:01 AM
jessesgirl24
I LOVE phineas and ferb lol that was Sebastians 1st birthday theme I know I'm super excited for the Camp Rock 2. It's so funny b/c Sebastian will be in bed and the hubby and I will be sitting around still watching the Disney channel lol. I swear he is just as bad as me. Bones is like my new obsession lol. They have the first 4 seasons on watch instantly on Netflix. I'm almost done w/ season 4 and I don't know what I'm going to do when i have to wait for season 5 to come out on dvd!!! NCIS is one of my faves too. I also am obsessed with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice, pretty much all of the ABC shows thou!

I love food lol. We eat out wayyy too much. Around here we eat a lot of BBQ, because it's right down the road and it is pretty amazing. Also chinese. Chicken Strips I don't really know why I love them so much, they are sooo bad for me but I can't help it. Oh and pasta. All kinds of pasta. Since i have been pregnant I have been eating a lot of fruit and veggies, they are my cravings most of the time, they were with my son as well the only things that didn't make me sick.

Do you play any video games? Do you watch the news everyday or occassionly? Where is your fave place to shop online/in the store?
August 13th, 2010, 10:21 AM
haha, finally! someone I can talk Bones with! lol I love that show. If you haven't wached it, i do highly recommend Memphis Beat. Jason Lee does a great job and it really does portray Mempisites to a T lol.

We eat out way more than we should too. We love mexican and frequent this one place where they don't even ask what we want to drink, they just bring it out along with the cheese dip when we get there lol. I love chinese too, but can't really find a good one around here. Cracker Barrel is, always has been, and always will be my favorite place to eat though. Of course I like BBQ, but for me it has to be wet. I'm talking sticky, dribbling to your elbows when you eat it wet. Around here they are dry and I don't like that.

The only video games I will play are like Scrabble, Jeopardy type games. DH loves them all and is dying for an X Box 360 and a PS3 but the deal is he has to give up two other systems to get those. He has yet to do it lol. I don't watch the news, but I do keep up with it online. I go to the local newspapers website and the local news station, back homes news station and three of the papers. That way I know what's going on everywhere lol.

My favorite stores. Hmm....that's a tough one tbh. I'm a big girl, so sometimes it's hard for me to find stuff to fit me like I like it to. Lane Bryant is where I have to get my unmentionables and I LOVE their right fit jeans. They fit perfect. Old Navy is another place I like. Every once in a while I can find something for me, but I like their stuff for Gabe. JC Penny is another. And I'm addicted to kohl's lol. I've been there three times in the last week and a half lol. I don't really do alot of online shopping unless I can't find what I want in the store. I like Target and Wal Mart for stuff too.

How bout you???
August 14th, 2010, 08:11 AM
jessesgirl24
I like to play the Sims 3 and then some of the games that they have on facebook. The hubby has the Xbox 360 and PS3. He hasn't played in a while thou. He's been sick and we just use the ps3 as a bluray player lol. I never watch the news lol. Its too depressing lol. I get all my info from reading the yahoo news stories.

I really like shopping at the BX. I get a lot of my son's clothes from there when they are on the clearance rack lol. I love getting his outfits for like $4 or under lol. I'm so cheap. Plus we get a lot of stuff from the Airman's attic. I Haven't really been shopping too much lately. I mostly shop at Hobby Lobby and Michaels for scrapbook supplies lol. that's all i have gotten lately.

How did you meet your hubby? How did you get engaged? Married?
August 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Clearance racks are my friend. lol I love going to Kohl's and finding stuff like the Tony Hawk polo shirts for gabe for like two bucks. I like shopping at the PX, but the closest big one is at Ft Leavenworth (an hour away). I LOVED the one at Ft Campbell, it's the worlds largest and had just about everything you could think of. That's where we got our living room suite. Our BX here is the size of a shopette and doesn't carry anything really. I'm cheap too. I refuse to buy anything if it's not on sale and if something is on the clearance rack, I won't buy it if I don't think it's clearanced enough. lol

Matt and I met online, match.com lol. It's a long, funny story. He asked me to marry him the first time when he was deployed (the first time lol), in an email. I was at work when I read it, about fell over from shock, and one of the medics answered the email. lol He didn't know until we'd been married for about a year that Jason was the one who answered it. When he got home, we were at the mall and walked past a jewelry store and he saw the ring. we walked in, tried the ring on, it fit perfectly, and when it was paid for, he dropped down on one knee in the middle of the jewelry store and asked me to marry him. We got married about 9 months later. It was just a small, simple wedding with just our closest family and friends.

How bout you? Did you guys grow up together?
August 14th, 2010, 07:18 PM
jessesgirl24
Omgosh i know what you mean about clearance stuff not being cheap enough lol. My friends will by stuff and it'll still be crazy expensive to me lol I wait til it's like 75% off! I hate spending like $20 on a shirt that I know he'll only wear for a few months or will destroy with his dirty boyness lol.

That's awesome that you met online!! Aww! That's so sweet that he proposed again right in the store! So romantic!

We met my junior year of high school. He was a senior and he moved to my town like 1/2 way thru the year. I hated him at first lol he was so obnoxious! Then we became good friends, he took me to my junior prom as friends. Then started dating like the next day. That was in May 2004. He left for basic that November. I didn't see him again until May 2005. He got stationed like 3.5 hrs from home. Then I went off to college August 2005. I didn't think we would make it w/ the distance all. But he came to visit me my first weekend of college. I was soooo upset there it was like my first time away from home. Then we were engaged Labor day weekend. I picked out my ring. He took me to a really nice Italian restaurant. I wore a cute lil black dress and he wore his blues. We ate and then he left and came back w/ 3 roses. He said 'this one's for the past, this one for the present, and this one for the future' and it had the ring attached to it! too sweet lol. During winter break January 2006 we eloped just outside of McGuire AFB, NJ.

Life is never dull in this family lol. Do you think ya'll will be stationed overseas/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search