November Buddies: Budsmommy & Rhill4455

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Dakotas_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Yahoo to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotas_mom
Here are a few questions to get your conversations started but feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like to get to know each other better. The goal is to try to get to know your buddy as well as possible during this month! Have fun.

-Name(No last names please)?
- SOs Name?
-Birthday?
-Where you are originally from?
-Where you live now?
-Kids?
-Pets?
-Branch of service/how many years?
-Hobbies?

Random Question of the month: What are you doing for Thanksgiving?!

November 10th, 2010, 06:08 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
I go first!! I go first!!!

-Name(No last names please)?Robin
- SOs Name?Paul
-Birthday?November 17!! (I will be 33 in 7 days!!)
-Where you are originally from?CA is where I was born and raised but I moved to TN when I was 23 and my family followed me. So I consider home to be TN.
S-Where you live now? Fort Riley, KS
-Kids? Karen(7), Amanda(5) and Connor(just turned 1)
-Pets? Just 2 Fish
-Branch of service/how many years? Active Army, 8 years
-Hobbies? Scrapbooking, reading, blogging, facebook, spending time with the family.
Random Question of the month: What are you doing for Thanksgiving?! Nothing much. I will make a small thanksgiving dinner for me and the kids since DH is deployed.

A few additional questions for you:
Is your DH home or deployed?
What are you looking forward to most this month?
What do you do? (SAHM, work at home, work outside the home, etc...)

November 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM
bubsmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Name(No last names please)? Cynthia
- SOs Name? Matthew
-Birthday? 24 August , I turned 31 this year
-Where you are originally from? Lafayette, TN (about an hour NE of Nashville. And it is pronounced La Fett, not La Fe Ett like they to in LA. lol)
-Where you live now? Belton, MO, just south of Kansas City
-Kids? Gabriel, he will be 3 in December
-Pets? two, Lucy, a black lab/german shepard mix who is 5 and Scrooge, a british shorthair cat who is 18.
-Branch of service/how many years? Army, 12 years. We joke that they will have to kick him out because retirement is not in his vocabulary lol.
-Hobbies? I don't really have a lot of hobbies. I enjoy reading, Country music, Contemporary Christian music, singing, playing boardgames with Dh and ds (although Gabe is still learning lol).

Random Question: What are you doing for Thanksgiving?......... My inlaws are coming up and we are doing a supper. We have a couple of friends who have no family close by and they are supposed to come as well.

A few additional questions for you:
Is your DH home or deployed? He is home.
What are you looking forward to most this month? I am looking forward to the inlaws coming up and, yes, I'm a dork, Black Friday lol.
]What do you do? (SAHM, work at home, work outside the home, etc...) I'm a SAHM, have been since I was made to quit work when I was about 17 weeks pg.

Now my turn, questions for you, lol:
What kind of music do you like?
Are you an avid reader?
What are some of your favorite movies?
November 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM
What kind of music do you like? I can listen to any type of music but i prefer Country and 80's music.
Are you an avid reader? usually. Although now that I am back in school the only books you will see me read is my text books. When I do get to read I love suspense novels. My favorite author is Cathrine Coulter.
What are some of your favorite movies? August Rush, Blind side, Ultimate gift, bucket list.....I have a ton but there are the first few off the top of my head. What are your favorite TV shows?

I know where Lafayette is. My parents are in Smithville TN. I think its about 30 minutes south of Lafayette I believe. Then DH's parents are in Mt. Juliet, TN. Man I love it and miss it there!

My DH is the same way about retirement. He says there is no way he will retire at 20 unless they kick him out. Then he says we will discuss retirement at the 30 year mark but then again it may be the same case. He will only go if they kick him out. So we are defenitly lifers.

Never done the black friday shopping. I have always been to afriad of how much of a mad house every where would be. I also have never had any one to go with. That is not something I want to go do alone. No hopes of doing it this year since DH is deployed and I have no one to watch the kids. No biggie because I am actually almost done with my shopping. Have you started all your shopping yet or are you waiting to see what all you score on Black Friday?

November 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Oh my gosh, nobody knows where Lafayette is! lol. I'm familiar with Mt Juliet and Smithville as well, we lived in Alexandria and Liberty for a bit. I worked at the hospital in Gallatin for almost 4 years before DH and I met and got married. The Smithville area is where my Daddy's family is from, but he and my stepmom now live in Murfreesboro (been there for about 15 years now), right off of I 24.

I am an avid reader as well. I will read just about anything, but christian romance and mysteries are what I'm stuck on right now. Karen Kingsbury and Tracie Peterson are two of my fav authors. I have several of Catherine Coulter's books too.

I love country music! Jake Owen is my boyfriend, only he doesn't know it yet. I listen to alot of contemporary christian music too. My favorite TV shows are Bones, the Mentalist and I've started watching No Ordinary Family. I watch alot of forensic files and shows like that on Discovery ID too. Dr G: Medical Examiner is my secret addiction lol.

That is funny that our dh's are alike in that aspect. Matt's goal is SGM, CSM if at all possible. I dont mind though, I actually really like military life. Well, most of it anyway, lol.

I have done the black friday thing three times and I actually like it. I guess Ive been lucky because I have never ran into anything bad, kwim. Since the inlaws will be here I think my mil and I will just go and leave the men at home lol. This will be the first time since 2006 that I will decorate for christmas! I'm excited lol. I haven't bought a thing yet, blah. I have a list started of ideas but nothing yet. Have you? I know that you are excited for your dh to come home!!! will he be home in time for Christmas?
November 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Murfreesboro!!! That is where DH and I lived together while we were dating. Got married at the court house there in the circle. So strange how much we seem to have in common. My dh only expects to make it to Lieutenant Colonel. Mainly because he put so much time in on the enlisted side. I don't really mind the military life style. Deployments and seperations suck but we manage and when we survive on the other side our marriage is stronger.

I am almost done with my christmas shopping. I have actually done most of it on line. DH was telling me he would like for us to be 100% done with all our christmas shopping by the end of November. Mainly because once Decemeber hits he wants me to focus on the guys coming home and getting everything prepared for that. (I'm the Company FRG Leader) As it stand right now my DH will be home before Christmas. I hope it stays that way but you never know with the military.

Jake owen??? I don't see it. Don't get me wrong, totally great singer and totally sexy voice but his looks just don't do it for me. But I do however wish the two of you the best! (I mean with your DH's approval!!!) lol....Besides right now I have the hots for Joshua Jackson. I am addicted to Fringe and ever since totally have the hots for Joshua Jackson!!

So how did you and your DH met?
Are you guys done having kids or do you want more?

November 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
It sounds like you and I have a LOT in common lol. You are only like 2 or 2.5 hours from me right now lol. I was actually up there in June for Country Stampede, where I saw Jake Owen. Lol at the not seeing it. A lot of people don't lol. Honestly it's more his voice than anything else. I don't like long hair on guys, but he pulls it off. And his smile. *sigh* lol. I won upper deck seating at Country Stampede for him and Darryl Worley both. I'd met Darryl Worley before, but it was still pretty cool. Jake was awesome.

DH and I have decided that we are going to do all of our shopping the second weekend in December lol. Cutting it close, but ds's bday is the 21st so we are going to get a sitter and just get it all done at one time. That is awesome that they are supposed to be home in time. I pray that it happens!!! When DH came home in 08, he flew in to Ft Riley and we drove up to get him lol, he got home like the 19th, but was supposed to be home the 7th of Dec. That's ok though, he's home, that's all that counts!! I give you a ton of kudo's for being the FRG leader. I did it with both of Matt's units at Campbell and I refuse to do it again. It wouldn't matter here anyway, though, none of the families, or the soldiers, care. And, tbh, I don't like that.

We met online actually, at match.com lol. It's a long funny story. How did you guys meet?
Two months ago, if you'd asked about children, I would have said we were done. We tried for 2.5 years to get pg with Gabe and had to go the med route, and I had alot of issues, so we weren't sure if we wanted to go through all of that again. Now, though, since we found out that we aren't going anywhere for a while (not happy about that, but oh well) we are rethinking it. I have an appt on Tuesday and I'm going to talk to the doc about it. I have PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, and who knows what will happen!
November 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Even more for us to have in common! DH and I met online as well. Except it was AOL. He IMed me one night. We chatted on there with out ever having the intentions of meeting. About 2 weeks later we were having a really indepth conversation but he had to go. So instead of just ending it we continued it while he drove where ever he had to go. 2 weeks later We met in person and went to see 13 ghosts together (The movie) and the rest is history!

November 11th, 2010, 06:43 PM
haha, how funny!!!

I had forgotten that I had put a profile on there. I put it on there about 6 or 7 months prior because my friend at the time had put hers on there and we did it together. I had been dating a cop from Nashville and we split up about two weeks before the night I talked to dh for the first time. I had sworn off men in uniform. I didn't care what kind of uniform it was, I was done lol. I think I dated every, single, cop, paramedic, and fireman in Sumner and Wilson county, plus a few from Davidson! lol. I had never dated or had anything to do with a soldier though, so all of that was new. Anyway, I was living with my sister and she and I were talking in front of the computer one night and I'd gotten an email from someone (else) off of match. She convinced me to look at his profile and while I was doing that, Matt popped up on the IM on there. Now, funny thing was, I wasn't a paying member, so I wasn't supposed to be able to get, or respond to, IM's. I clicked off of him and my sis was like, what the heck? why won't you talk to him. I told her that I didn't want to talk to anyone. He popped up again (persistant little bugger, he was) and she convinced me to check out his profile. I did and immediatly was like, uh uh, no way. She asked why and I was like "Look at what he does for a living. He's a soldier. He doesn't just wear a uniform, he wears THE uniform!" then she said something that, to this day, I will never forget, and she will never live down. "Just talk to him. It's not like you're going to marry the guy." hahaha

So, I talked to him and we talked for about 3 hours online. He had to go and asked if he could call me when he got back to his room (he was living in the single soldier barracks on Campbell.) After some hemming and hawing, I said yes and gave him my number. He said he'd call no later than 30 mins from then, and we got off the computer. He never called. That was on a Thursday. Friday night came and went, Saturday, Sunday, and by Monday, I'd written him off. Well, that afternoon I got an email from him. (My work days were, work 10 hour days for 7 days, Thurs to Wed, off 7 days and I was on my 7 off) He wrote me this book about why he'd not called. I was telling Leslie (my sis) about it and she told me to give him a chance, so I did. He called not 10 minutes after I sent him the reply lol. We talked for like 4 hours that night, met the next day and have been together ever since!!! I like to credit Leslie for it all lol.
November 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
That is a cute story!! Love it!! I dated a cop from Davidson county. Didn't end good at all!! I'll just leave it at that. He sure left me with the feelings that I would NEVER date another cop again. Wasn't long after him I met DH. So he was my one and only cop! I guess its true. Men in uniform sure do attract women because we sure go from one uniform to the next! (And ended with the best!)

How come you guys will be stuck there so long? What makes it such a bad place. I hate it where I am too!! DH is supposed to get orders back to Benning but now were wondering if its going to happen. EVERYONE we know seems to get stuck here for at least 6 years. I swear if were one of them I will lose my mind.

November 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Haha, it would be even more hilarious if it was the same cop!

DH is AGR (active guard/reserve, so he's active duty, just with reserve units) and apparently there is a pcs freeze. There are so few spots for his rank and MOS that unless a miracle happens he is stuck here until one opens up. Technically our time here isn't up until March of 2012, and he should get promoted early next year, so anything could happen I'm thinking. It's not really the area that I hate, I actually like the area. We are on what used to be Richards Gebaur AFB, but it's now ran by Marines, so we are on a teeny tiny base. Our commissary is the size of a large shopette lol, and the BX is the size of a small shopette. We live in super nice housing, it was built in 2007 and it's a nice neighborhood. We live, literally, across the street from DH's building. We are close to everything, but feel like we are in a small town, kwim. What I don't like is the people. His unit has got to be one of the sorriest units ever. They have people getting away with stuff that you would never be able to get away with anywhere else. I can't get into it, but suffice it to say, coming from the 101, it was a slap in the face to Matt. He is a very by the book soldier, follows regulations to the T, ethical, and moral, cares about his soldiers, and tbh, he's the only one that does. I kid you not, another guy told him that regulations are just guidelines. Matt was like, "oh really. I wonder what the Secretary of the Army would have to say about that?" Since we have been here I have been stabbed in the back twice by "friends" and one of them started some stuff with other wives in the unit so that I'm not comfortable even going to a potluck that they have. I'm not used to this. I'm used to friendly, nice, people. I'm sorry if that comes across as me being a witch, really I'm not. I guess because I try to be nice and friendly, and all that, I think everybody should and it's just not that way.

Anyway, hopefully ya'll will get the Benning orders. I've never been there, but DH has and he says it's a nice place. He goes TDY alot and because of that, he has a list of places he does NOT want to go lol.

The 9th through the 12th of next month we are going on a Strong Bonds retreat. Have you ever heard about it or been to one? It's in the Wisconsin Dells and it's supposed to be super nice. The Army pays for it (hotel, rental, flights, etc) and they even provide babysitting. I'm so excited!!! I've never flown before, so that kinda freaks me out, but that's ok lol.
November 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I have never been on a Strong Bonds retreat but want to!! Our unit did one for the wives. It took place at Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City. I couldn't make that one because I was in TN visiting my mom for the month. I really want to go on one with DH! Although DH would never want to go because that is just not his type of thing. I have never heard of any one going on one and the army funding for a flight. Usually its close by to where you dont have to fly. Either way, that is awesome and hope you guys have a TON of fun! I have heard that the kids usually have a ton of fun as well so I am sure Gabriel will love it! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

November 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
This one is for couples and they also have stuff for the older kids from what I understand. I'm excited! We've never gotten to go to anything like this before. Heck, I've never even been to a ball lol. Everytimes one's come around he's either been TDY or Deployed lol. Have you guys ever done any of the Yellow Ribbon events after Deployments? From what I'm told Yellow Ribbon events are done by the units and Strong Bonds is done by the Chaplins. Supposedly the Wisconsin Dells is the "Waterpark Capitol of the World" or something like that lol. That will make Gabe happy if we stay somewhere that has a pool or indoor water park. My child is a fish, I swear lol.

Are you a Harry Potter fan?
November 15th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Nope I never got into the whole harry potter frenzy! I do want to read the books and probably will some day. I have never seen any of the movies either. When I was pregnant with my first my DH, his brother and some girl he was dating all sat down at our place to watch it when it first came out on vidoe and I fell asleep like 10 minutes into it. (The joys or pregnancy!) So that is all I have seen and considering that was like 8 years ago, I dont remember any of it.

I was looking at your siggy and just wanted to say that Gabriel is adorble. Such a handsome little guy. Look wise, who does he take after more? You or DH?

November 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I am a Potter and a Twilight fan lol. I have to say though that the Potter movies and books are almost dead on (unlike Twilight). We watched the Harry Potter movie marathon on ABC Family last night and Gabe ended up having nightmares, so I don't think he'll be watching anymore for a while lol. I don't know if it was from that or what, but I'm not taking any chances! Took me forever to get him settled back down last night, and of course Matt slept right through it. Amazes me how he can do that! lol. I was informed on Saturday that he's gotten a babysitter for Friday night so that we can go see the new one. I was shocked because he's never took it upon himself to do that before lol.

Aww, thanks for the compliment. I think he's pretty special (but then again, aren't they all!!!). Honestly, there are days I swear that Matt cloned himself, but then he'll do something and I'll see me in him. When he was a baby he looked exactly like Matt when he was a baby. Their pictures are identical. He has my dark eyes. I think he got the best of both of us.

You're kiddos are darling too! From your siggy it looks like the girls have curly hair. Where did they get that from? Are they getting excited that Daddy will be home soon?
November 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
The girls got thier curly hair from both of us. Although thanks to the military hair cuts you would never know that DH has curly hair. Thier hair actually gets straighter the older they get. I look at old pictures of them and I have a hard time believing how curly thier hair was. I get sad everytime I cut thier hair because it makes it even more straight. Connor is the same way. His hair is pretty curly. At least what hair he does have is curly.

The girls are excited about daddy coming home soon but I don't think they realize how short or long it actually is. They know we are down to counting days but I don't think they realize how close it actually is. Besides its been so long that is hard for them to actually grasp it all. We didn't do any form of a count down to his R&R. We left it alone so it could be a surprise. One day after school there was a knock at the door and when they answered it there he was. So they can't even compare it to that when we are talking about how soon it is.

So, any thing exciting going on this week for you guys?
All ready for Thanksgiving yet? Its so hard to believe that thanksgiving is next week. I am a bit nervous. I am making Thanksgiving dinner for just me and the kids. Thanksgiving is one of DH's favorite holidays so I promised him that I would still make the thanksgiving meal even if its just me and the kids. I have never made the meal myself. Its always been DH and I doing it together. His main job was the turkey and stuffing and I would do the rest. He at least if I roally mess it all up it will just be me and the kids.

November 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM
That is too cute about the R & R surprise! I bet they were over the moon! Had you already seen him or did he surprise you too?

Nothing really exciting going on this week. I had a Dr's appt this morning and got some not very thrilling news. Tomorrow I have to go to the dentist, and then next Tuesday Gabe goes to the Allergist. He is going to get tested and I don't want to put the little guy through that. Only problem is that it's our last resort, so we've already done everything we could to keep from it. Now we have to figure out exactly what it is that he's allergic to so that we won't have to keep guessing.

Every Tuesday night our Chick Fil A (which gives a 50% military discount) has family night. Kids eat free and get to do a little craft thing. We've made it our family night too, so Gabe gets to play, Matt and I get to talk, and we all 3 eat for 7 bucks!

Anything exciting going on for you guys this week?
November 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I knew he was coming home for R&R! I was all ready with the video camera rolling for when they opened the door. Although I ended up turning off the camera a bit sooner than I had planned becase when they opened the door my DH practically dropped to his knees took both our girls in his arms and started crying. I felt like that moment was to private and should not be videoed. Made me fall in love with him all over again!

Yay for a drs appointment will thrilling news!!! Sorry your son has to go through all those test to find out what he is alergic to. I am sure it will help and be totally worth it in the end to finally have answers.

Nothing too exciting! I am just working on last minute things for my FRG meeting this weekend. Which is at my house....eeeeek! So I am busy trying to clean up everything and get all my stuff that I need to tell all the wives figured out so I dont miss anything. At this meeting we will be packaging goody bags that we will be leaving in all our single soldiers rooms. I still have a few items to buy for that as well. Lots of last minute things. My girls have Judo tomorrow. The book fair at their school on Thursday and some how I have got to get all my homework done!

Some how I have to figure out a day this week to go out to dinner because I promised my DH I would take me and the girls out to dinner one day to celebrate my birthday tomorrow. I am happy that I am busy these days. The last 30 days of deployments always seem to go the slowest so hopefully this will help it pass quickly!!

November 17th, 2010, 07:42 AM
first off I just want to say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

That is so sweet! Made me tear up just reading it!

I think you misread my sentence, it was NOT such teriffic news. I found out that I have to go see an OB/GYN that specializes in PCOS and everything that goes along with it. I have uterine fibroids that she could feel just by checking me (sorry if tmi!) and she said she shouldn't be able to feel them. She couldn't tell how many or how big they were so she wants me to go to this new doc. I have never had them before, so I asked her how serious it was and what would it do with our chances of ttc again, because we know we are going to have to use meds again to get pg. She said that more than likely Gabe will be it for us. IF I were to get pg again, it wouldn't be a viable pregnancy. If it's as bad as she thinks it is, she said she figures that they will recommend a hysterectomy. Don't get me wrong, I know how lucky I am to have been able to have Gabe, it's just that it came as a shock, kwim. I knew something was going on, I just didn't know what or how bad it was. I go see this new doc on 8 Dec and I am, quite honestly, terrified.

Have you ever eaten at that restaurant in front of the mall in Manhattan, Whiskey Creek I think is the name of it, ? We ate there when we Matt got back this last time. I liked it, it was pretty good. I wanted to eat there when we were up there in June, and the girl I was with didn't want to. Where are some of your favorite places to eat? (I'm a foodie, as you can tell by looking at me, hahaha.)

Oh wow, about the FRG stuff. If you're anything like me you'll run around like a chicken with your head cut off trying to make everything perfect and then fret when they are there that they will find something out of place! I do that with EVERYBODY that comes to the house lol. I think the goody bags are an awesome idea. So many single soldiers have noone to greet them when they get back, it really breaks my heart. I know it will make them feel good to have something waiting for them when they get to their rooms.

We found out yesterday that my inlaws won't be coming for Thanksgiving after all. My FIL's boss decided that he needed him to work on Friday at the last minute. So, it will just be us three. If it wouldn't weird you out, I would totally invite you guys down here that day!
November 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I am so sorry about the results you got from the Dr's. I would try and stay positive until you at least talk to your new specialized ob/gyn. HUgs!!!

About that resturant!!! Wiskey Creek! I have wanted to eat thiere since we moved here (Jan 09). Every time we drive by it I tell my DH we have to eat there some time. Everytime we go out to eat I bring it up and he doesn't want to because its out of the normal for us. He is a man of habit and doing something new completely throws him off. I will eat there before we end up PCSing.

Sorry your Inlaws ended up canceling coming for thanksgiving! I am totally touched for the invite to come have thanksgiving with you!!! I would have totally taken you up on the offer if I hadn't already bought everything to make thanksgiving dinner. That would have been fun!

Now I gotta run! I need to go run some errands. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search