Anyone around Norfolk, VA?

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Super Mommy
We will be PCSing there in a few months and I wanted to know if anyone was from there, was there, has been there. I wanted to know about housing, areas, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

December 26th, 2010, 04:38 AM
NavyWife05's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello there!dh is stationed in nothing.. But we live in Chesapeake which is bout 20min away from the base and a much safer neighborhood. We were looking at housing on base when we moved here but it was to dangerous.. 5 shootings in 2 days and break INS. Yes you wouldn't think that stuff being on a military base. But I've also heard some good things. Dh has friends who live there and say it's really nice. We decided not to live on base and rather a safer neighborhood. I'm constantly alone w haylee bc dh goes on stupid underways for weeks at a time or has duty so it's just me n her. But I feel safe here being alone. We live in a 2bdrm apartment n pay $930 n it's small. It's crazy but this is one of the cheapest around here. It's a nice lil apartment tho. Area wise there's bout any store u can think of. There's shopping plazas everywhere! Traffic is a freaking nightmare tho omg lol I hate it! I'm from a tiny town in Ohio with no traffic n cornfields n cows and here it's like new York city. No1 knows how to drive lol. Overall I like living here and call it home. If u have anymore questions please feel free to pm me!

Lol omg I so mean he's stationed in Norfolk lol not nothing. Idk what i was typing lol

December 26th, 2010, 05:33 AM
txmumx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi we've lived in Hampton Roads for 5 years and lived in Portsmouth, Va Beach, and Norfolk. DH was stationed at NOB. I also had my first child at PNMC. We are looking at PCSing back there after we're done out here. It's a beautiful place with tons and tons of stuff to do esp. if u have kids but beware of the "ghettos" cuz like the above post states there are some really bad places with shootings and what not. Traffic with the tunnels is a nightmare but if u leave early to places and give urself enough time u should be fine!
December 26th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I just wanted to ad that this is a great group to join if u wanna meet other moms and kids in the Hampton Roads area who like to get out and do a ton of stuff. It's a wonderful group that really helped me when we were moved there and became parents My friend still organizes the group of wonderful ladies. It has a great forum for chatting and gettingto know one another and distributes great info about what's happening in the area for families. Hope it helps About Hampton Roads Moms and Tots - Hampton Roads Moms and Tots (Virginia Beach, VA) - Meetup
December 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM
mkmb129's Avatar Regular
We lived in VaB for a while. We'll probably be heading back that way June 2012. I wouldn't live in Norfolk, though! I wouldn't live in Hampton Roads either because traffic from the HBBT is atrocious pretty much all the time! We enjoyed our stay there and look forward to going back
December 27th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. Do you know about Gela Point/Little Creek. My friend lives in VA beach and she said the housing at Gela Point is nice but I want to make sure the area is nice. DH is going back on sea duty so with workups and deployments I'll be alone with my 3 boys a lot and I def want to feel safe. Thanks for the help... it's nice to talk to people that have been there and can help... my friend has been MIA lately so I've been stressing about this.

December 27th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey there, We lived in the Norfolk area a number of years ago. We weren't on base but bought a house in Va. Beach area. We enjoyed it very much. The closest base to us was Little Creek (If I am remembering right) I thought the area was a pretty nice area. The area around Little Creek was a lot nicer, and safer, than the area around NOB.

There is plenty to do in the area and a lot of military facilities for support and to hook up with other mom/wives with.
Enjoy
Mattiez
December 27th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Honestly, every area has it's good points and bads u just have to decide where u want to live based off what is most important to you then weigh the pros and cons. Little Creek area when we left in Dec. 2008 was pretty "ghetto" IMO. If u can afford it I'd spring for a nicer place in Va Beach or a quieter neighborhood near LC. Not all the spots are horrible...u'd be surprised at the awesome areas u can find mixed in with the "ghetto". A lot of ppl talk badly about Portsmouth but we loved our time there becuz we found an area that wasn't sterotypical ptown. I hope u find something u love soon!
December 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Super Mommy
We need to do the privitized military housing (housing that just takes BAH and pays rent and utilities) because we are taking such a pay cut moving from Japan that we don't want to stretch ourselves too thin and given we need a 4 bedroom, we don't want to put our entire BAH to rent and then have to pay utilites out of base pay. Also we can't buy because the ship DH is going to will be going to FL sometime in the next year or so and we'll be leaving beforehand because DS#1 will be in school. It's so hard to figure out while we're here what is a nice area and what isn't... a site isn't going to say "lovely houses and a great area as long as you can ignore the gun shots" lol. I guess I'll try and get what I can and if we don't like it, we'll only be there for a year or so.

December 28th, 2010, 06:58 AM
pvm4ever88's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi! I live in Newport News, can I ask what ship if your husband is going on a ship what he's going to be on? My husband is on the Bush in Norfolk but he drives through the tunnel everyday. We don't live in housing.

It is true though every place has its good and bad areas.

December 28th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to 3 boys View Post
We need to do the privitized military housing (housing that just takes BAH and pays rent and utilities) because we are taking such a pay cut moving from Japan that we don't want to stretch ourselves too thin and given we need a 4 bedroom, we don't want to put our entire BAH to rent and then have to pay utilites out of base pay. Also we can't buy because the ship DH is going to will be going to FL sometime in the next year or so and we'll be leaving beforehand because DS#1 will be in school. It's so hard to figure out while we're here what is a nice area and what isn't... a site isn't going to say "lovely houses and a great area as long as you can ignore the gun shots" lol. I guess I'll try and get what I can and if we don't like it, we'll only be there for a year or so.
You're absolutely right about u'll only be there a year so u can take it stride. That's what we did everytime we moved to and fro from the area. The base housing is actually pretty nice. The ones near NOB itself were being redone when we left. Have u looked at the website for the lincoln housing yet? Most of those types of communities will be decent so u should not have as many issues as say living out in the economy per say. I feel ur pain though...we will be PCSing this time next year from the UK back home to either hampton roads or Jax. Best wishes for making up ur mind

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search