Air Force "desk jobs" ....... help??

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Does anyone's husband (or they themselves) do "desk jobs" in the Air Force? Hubby is looking at possibly cross-training out of vehicle maintenance (thank God ... ugh) and wants to do something where he doesn't have to come home filthy every day ... not really sure what jobs are out there though, would love any suggestions.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

January 13th, 2011, 05:44 PM
BBKT's Avatar Veteran
My hubby has a sort of "desk job" and he's miserable. I like it though. LOL! He used to be a KC-135 crew chief, then was forced to crosstrain when he reenlisted. Now he works "supply", and has working in Mobility Supply and Aircraft Parts Supply. But are considered "desk jobs" although it's more like warehouse work with lots of "desk" computer inventory. Another friend of ours has a traditional desk job, but I can't remember the actual name of it. Something about "scheduler"- she schedules the flights in and out of the base and schedules all the maintenance of the planes, etc.

Keep in mind that you may have to PCS if he cross trains. That's what happened to us. Hubby picked a job that he though he could do at the base we were at, but they moved us anyway as soon as he was out of tech school. We didn't move far, just to the other side of the state, but we still had to move.

Good luck!

7/2013
January 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Yeah, I fully expect to have to PCS. It sucks, but it's part of this life. Hooray for 4 moves in 6 years, right?? LOL

He is looking into Cyber Surety and Contracting ... he has to retake the ASVAB and stuff.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

January 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM
caitie_pie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to caitie_pie
DH is also supply but for the Army. He was talking about when he ETS'd going into the Airforce and just transfer his MOS over. They wouldn't talk to him about it until he was out. Well we just re enlisted to be on the safe side.

Thank you Julka for my amazing Siggy<3
January 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM
danniegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a desk job in the af. I am a Knowledge operator. This job has many within itself. Right now I work on computers and LOVE IT. When I worked in the Orderly room I hated it. I loved doing the webpage portion and we can even deliver the mail. IF you are lucky enough and get a comm squadron you are able to try a little bit of everything.

January 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Rammas08's Avatar Samantha =)
DH has a desk job in the AF he works in Finance
January 16th, 2011, 08:28 PM
EquestrianMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
New here on this board, but my DH is in a desk job. He loves it. He's been in his career field (he's intell) for almost 10 years and wouldn't give it up for anything.

Thank you Quantum_leap for my AMAZING siggy!
January 19th, 2011, 10:57 AM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
Like Samantha, my DH has a desk job in Finance too. There's two side of it, customer service and budget. He says he prefers budget. Since we are actually stationed at an Army base instead of an AF base he just works in a small office so he has to do both. There are tons of different types of desk jobs, such as personel, finance, computers, contracting, etc..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search