June Buddies: C&K's Mama & Dakotas_mom

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
momof2armybrats's Avatar Army Wife and Mommy!
Here are a few questions to get your conversations started but feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like to get to know each other better. The goal is to try to get to know your buddy as well as possible during this month! Have fun.

-Name(No last names please)?
- SOs Name?
-Birthday?
-Where you are originally from?
-Where you live now?
-Kids?
-Pets?
-Branch of service/how many years?
-Hobbies?

Random Question of the month: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

June 2nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
-Name(No last names please)? Alycia
-SOs Name? Chris
-Birthday? November 4
-Where you are originally from? Dallas, TX
-Where you live now? Fort Bragg, NC
-Kids? 2 girls
-Pets? 1 boxer, Becca
-Branch of service/how many years? Army Active Duty 7 years (maybe 8 I forget)
-Hobbies? Scrapbooking! and some photography. I've booked my first wedding (even though it doesn't happen until next summer)

Random Question of the month: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? I want to be a physical therapy assistant (when you have physical therapy done, most of those are assistants, actual PT's do evals and paperwork usually). I wanna work as a PTA in a school with special needs children

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
June 2nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Dakotas_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Yahoo to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotas_mom
-Name(No last names please)? Jennifer
- SOs Name? Joshua
-Birthday? February 13
-Where you are originally from? Columbus, GA
-Where you live now? Shreveport, LA / Barksdale AFB
-Kids? Dakota, will be two on Sunday [June 5]
-Pets? Tons. LOL -- Three dogs, 2 prairie dogs, and a bird
-Branch of service/how many years? Air Force / September will be 6 years
-Hobbies? Scrapbooking, Couponing, and siggie making (when I have time)

Random Question of the month: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Living in or close to my hometown. I miss my family so much. Having atleast 2 more children. and to be working in the Surgical Tech field.

How long have you been taking photos?! My dh really wants me to get into it. But I dont know if it's really something I want to do.

Last edited by Dakotas_mom; June 2nd, 2011 at 02:20 PM.
June 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
I've been shooting in manual, but unlike a lot of photographers, I take it very seriously to have that responsibility (I know that sounds really silly) but I don't feel that I'm proficient enough to be a paid photographer yet, but I'll start trying to book paid sessions when Chris comes again! Do you play around with it? Thats what I was doing and got lots of "you should become a photographer", even from my MIL who HATES me and when I started looking around. I have the composition down pretty well and I'm working on lighting and I think I'm getting there My current interest is aperture settings, but I'm not doing so great at it.

I didn't think I'd like it until I bought my big camera, now I'm in love

You scrapbook?? Do you get to often? I'm addicted, but my table is still packed up from the move, do you have any pages I could see?

How did you start couponing?? I want to, but it's so overwhelming. I don't know what things cost, so I really don't know whats a deal

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
June 2nd, 2011, 06:19 PM

I wanna capture "different" pictures. not posed or running through a field, but fun personality pictures.

Last edited by C&K'sMama; June 2nd, 2011 at 06:21 PM.
June 12th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Send a message via MSN to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Yahoo to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotas_mom
Sorry I'm taking so long to get back with you. I was out of town for a week.

I have a point and shoot camera that I use.. just to capture poses. And I do alot of editing on photoshop, but I haven't started looking for a 'photographers' camera or even thought about what I would want. I do know that if I did photography it would be mostly weddings, engagements, and couples. I'm such a romantic kind of girl.

I dont get to scrapbook much anymore. I have a very small desk in the living room thats very hard to work on and Dakota likes to mess with my stuff when I work. Between taking care of Dakota, cleaning, cooking, and trying to keep up with my boards on JM, I dont have much time for myself. BUT I am getting best about finding the time. Dakota's scrapbook is so behind so I've been trying to do aleast one page a week. So far I'm only been able to finish one page. lol

Okay the couponing! lol

The first step is to find some coupons and organize them. I get most of mine from the newspaper (Walmart has them for $.99 so I usually buy 5-10 papers a week) and online at websites like coupon.com or redplum.com.

Next, match up weekly deals with the coupons you have. I'm too lazy to match up the deals myself so I use websites that do it for you. Thekrazycouponlady.com is a great site to use. You just click on the store you wanna shop at then a list will appear with the sales and coupons to use. It might take you a few weeks to gather up enough coupons to match most or all of the sales.

I usually make a list of what I'm going to buy, my list includes the items, sales price of the items, coupons to use, and what the final price should be. While shopping, I make sure the prices match what I have written down.

It's sounds like a lot, but honestly its not.

If you can get a sunday paper today, I can help you find some deals.

June 12th, 2011, 02:26 PM
3 weeks ago I subscribed to the paper, so I do get Sunday papers. I guess thats a good start

I shop mostly at the commissary, I guess that isn't an option with couponing (since their ads aren't in a newpaper to cross reference the deals). i dont even know what else is around here except walmart, lol

My girls "help" me scrapbook too I have to have a baby gate up into that room at all times so they don't destroy my desk and I scrap mostly while they sleep, but it's well past hobby, into addiction for me

If I can say something about the camera... When you go to look for a photography one, don't get "basic" The fact is that they start at $500 and once you learn to shoot in manual, you'll grow out of the "basic" pretty fast... then you've already invested $500 in a camera that doesn't do what you want it to do. I love my canon, but I've had it for 6 months and it's the basic and it already feels like I've grown out of it. (it doesn't like to switch between manual and auto focus, so when I switch back into auto, it takes forever, and some simple things like that. It's very frustrating)

I'm shooting my cousin's wedding next summer and I"m REALLY excited. I have lots of ideas, but it's a big responsibility to me too. I REALLY hope that I capture the real FEELING of the wedding (they're a little odd and I want their eccentricities to show in my photos. I dont' want it to look like every other wedding, cause they're not "every other" people) I like shooting couples more than kids though... I get to be more creative there (where as with kids it's just chasing them around and hoping for the best)

your questionnaire says you have prairie dogs... like domesticated?? they have names and such?? How did you accomplish that?

June 16th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I have friends that do really good at the commissary, but I live 20 min around so I'd rather shop at the Brookshires or Kroger that is about 2 miles from me. lol

I use to be addicted to scrapbooking and probably still would be if it wasnt for Dakota. Josh expects alot from me, so trying to care for Dakota and do what Josh wants me to makes NO downtime for me. I spent over 12 hours cleaning and cooking last night then when up at 7am this morning. It's rough.

I love your scrapbook pages! The one with the toddlers day is my favorite.

Thanks for the camera advice. I think I'm just going to stick with my point and shot right now. I really want to be a surgical nurse so I trying to get into school this fall.

We have two prairie dogs. In some states they are illegal, but not in LA. We got both of them from a pet store. They make great pets, if they are taken out of the wild after a few weeks of born. They learn to see people as there family and become very loving and protective. We play with our two every night. They are fun pets

How long have you been at Ft. Bragg?! I have a few friends there.. that I met via JM. hehe

June 19th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks, I love the toddler day page too. it's one of my all time favorites

I hear you on the camera. I'm going back to school this fall to become a Physical therapy assistant and the money would be nice.

I love prairie dogs, when we were at Sill they had a park where you could feed them. That was the whole purpose of the park, so they were skiddish but sweet. and they're so cute! What are yours' names?

We've only been here a month and to tell the truth we haven't left the house much for anything besides doctors and to get put into DEERS and all that mess

I have to ask, because you live down there... do you make gumbo or jumbalaya from scratch?? My dad flies off the coast from Shreveport for his job and works with several guys in that area and it's in their blood. I've always wanted recipes for those, but dad doesn't like it so he won't get them for me. I know I coul dlook online but I was always hoping to get it from LA

June 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
umm.. I haven't tried making any yet. I can ask my friends and see if they've made any. I've had gumbo that was made for my dhs shop. It was yummy. LOL

June 20th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I've never had it, but I hear really great things

Do you cook?

June 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I love to cook!!! I'm always looking for new recipes. So far my ribs are the best thing I make (i think). I boil the ribs before I put them in the oven, then put the BBQ sauce on them 15 min before they are ready.

What about you?!

June 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Do you spice the ribs or anything or is it just boil them and sauce?? (ribs are one of the few things I've never attempted), but I LOVE to cook! I HATE to back. I'm terrible at it (the last sugar cookies I made were so bad I refused to give them to my kids!) but I can cook! I'm on a constant recipe hunt too Paula Deen had a crawfish pasta on TV today... I'm going to HAVE to try it

June 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
The only 'seasoning' I use is salt. I boil the ribs with the salt and bake them with no seasoning. Then add BBQ sauce towards the end. I love to bake!!! My dh is a junkie so I HAVE to love baking. lol Paula Deen is my favorite. I make her meatloaf all the time. Have you made any of her stuff?!

June 23rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
I make her cheese cake more than anything else, but I LOVE Paula Deen! I will have to try her meatloaf, thats a dish I've avoided so far

Also her stir fry. She's got this easy stir fry recipe that we really like

June 23rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'll have to look up the stir fry recipe! I've been looking for one. Tonight we're doing burritos.. It'll be the first time I make them, but it should be easy.

What other bases have to been at?! Anything overseas?!

June 23rd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Nothing overseas yet, and with Carrie's special needs, the chances are that we'll never be sent over. I wish we could though!

We've been to Fort Sill (OK), Fort Campbell (KY), and here in NC

What about you guys??

how long have you guys been military?

June 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
We have been in for 5 years .... September willl make it 6 years. We have been to Cannon, AFB.. Osan Korea (I didnt go), and here (Barksdale, AFB).

My dh is bored with his jog,so he is putting in for a recruiters job. If he gets it, we will move closer to home. THEN my dh is talking about going into the Navy after that.

Is your dh happy with his job?! Is he staying in until retirement?!

June 24th, 2011, 08:23 AM
DH just re classed into more of the intel division and he was infantry. He loved both jobs.

We can't afford to get out of the military with DD's condition. We couldnt' afford civilian healthcare so we have to stay until retirement... but he does really like it, so we wouldn't get out either way.

Do you have many local friends?

Where is "home" that you're moving closer to?

Are you concerned at all about him being a recruiter? Thats the only job that I would have a problem with DH taking. I hear nothing but how the recruiters are never home with their families.

June 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I dont have many local friends... and we've been here for FOUR YEARS!!! Alot of the people here are focused on only their family and forget that other people need support too. I have two friends that I see at playdates every other Thursday, but we dont see or talk outside of the playdates. They are just too busy to meet up any other time (Whatever).

Home is Columbus, GA. But we dont wanna be in that town. We wanna be near the beach, which is 3+ hours from home.

What about you... Where is home... and would you every wanna move back there?

Tags
june buddies

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search