Prior military signing up for active duty?

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oceane

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Anyone know of anyone who was prior military who reenlisted in active duty?

DH and I have went back and forth on this.He is in ARNG right now.His contract is up in May.He will have 12 years in(2 of those in the navy) with 3 deployments.

If he decides to talk with a recruiter (Army) when should he go and talk to him? In May or before May and how far in advance should he talk to one if he is going to?

Also,can you enlist for 2 years or does it have to be 4 or 6?

And how likely is it that you would be stationed at one of your picks?

Any advice or thoughts would be apreciated.

July 17th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know anyone personally but dh was telling me recently that he heard the army isnt really taking prior service right now. I'm not sure how true that is though.
I would say he could maybe talk to a recruiter now and see what options he has, they might tell him to wait until closer to may and come back to them but it's worth a shot.

As far as the likelihood that you'd get your first choice for duty station, i have no idea. We got ours right out of AIT but i imagine that is pretty rare.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

July 18th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah,I have heard that prior military is not really top on their priority since the recruiters don't get any bonus for prior.

He did talk to a recruiter last year and he was trying to get a conditional release from the guard to switch to ad(army) and he said if he could get the release and get them to knock him back a rank to E-3 then he could get him in. BUT the conditional release was never granted.We tried 2 different times and then gave up.So idk.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

July 18th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I know all the services have slowed down all recruiting. I would talk to a recruiter ASAP. Getting out of one service and into another takes a lot of time, and if you wait, he may have a break in service. Do it now and by the time all that paperwork goes through he could probably just be in one service today and another tomorrow. And it's always needs of the service on where you get sent.

I am a Coastie wife and work for the Coast Guard as well at the main HR center in Topeka, KS. I know the CG is still happy to recruit prior military, no matter what service they were in before. I just worked on cases for several people who just left the National Guard, Marine Corps and Army for the CG.
Hokie Nicole likes this.
July 18th, 2012, 07:39 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the information you got from the recruiter before is what they are telling people today too. DH's friend said they would/will take him down a rank and he is taking his asvab's again. But I'm not sure if that's because he wants to do another job or what?

talk to a recruiter as soon as possible. Hope it works out for you.
July 18th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure they are taking prior service right now. His best bet would be to call a recruiter and ask. I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into it, and they'd really be the one to know those type of things.

My dh was in the Army for three years, and then he got out and joined the Coast Guard. He did have to take the ASVAB, go to MEPS, go back to being an E3 when he switched. Basically he started over. He loves it though and it's been a good change for us...he's been in the CG like seven years now. Oh, and when he went into the Army (and it has been a few years, so you'd want to double check) you could in fact enlist for two years. If you did just two years though the two years didn't start until after your Basic and AIT training was up, and that can take a long time depending on your job. My dh opted to enlist three years, and with three years your training was included in the time.
July 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thank you girls.I will pass this info on to him.He leaves this weekend for 2 weeks(AT) but I have already told him I would love to get away and live in different places but ultimately it is up to him whether or not he wants to try to do this.But if he does I am on board.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search