Navy?

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2012, 10:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
who in here is navy?

DH is prior navy(several years ago) and his contract is up with the guard in May.He has been tossing around the possibility of going ad army or navy.
I wonder if navy is taking prior service.

September 2nd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, from where I'm sitting the Navy doesn't look so great. When they are on Sea Duty they work ALL the time. Not just when they are actually out to sea, but when they are in port as well. Our neighbor no joke worked 14+ hours every day of the week for months. It made Matt's Army hours of 6am-5pm (including PT) seem down right easy. Plus they are heavily into force reduction and are kicking people out left and right. Now all the services are doing some sort of force reduction, but the Navy seems the worst. Now I'm sure like anything else, it depends on the job, the base, the time, and any number of other circumstances, but still.

The good side is that they have bases in all kinds of cool places that we (CG) don't! Hello overseas! Hopefully someone currently in the Navy can pipe in with some more detailed info for you.

Has he considered the Air Force at all? I'm not sure if they are taking prior service either, but it's worth asking. The last I heard the Coast Guard was not, but worth checking there too if he is interested.
September 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH's friend is trying to get into the Air Force from Army NG. He too is a previous Marine. Sounds like there is a better chance getting into the Air Force. I know the Marines are pushing people out too.

Hope you find a good route for your family.
September 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DH is 41 and will be 42 in April.I am thinking he might be too old for air force?idk
He will have 12 or 13 years in May.
I would love it if he could get in the air force and he would too.

Army deployments suck because they are 12 months.So I don't know about that.

We are just figuring since he is ARNG and prior Navy that one of those would be easier to get in....

thanks for the input.

September 14th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hubs is active Navy. Everyone's cutting back forces now so I think either way your husband goes it's gonna be a little bumpy.
October 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He should definitely try Air Force! They don't always take prior service, but it's a good chance and depending on his job the hours might be better. I have a great 9 hour day 7:30-4:30 now and "deployments" don't come up as often because we don't have Sea Duty.

October 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM
New here, and Navy. My husband has been in almost 17 years, and will be retiring at 20...well a little over since he was extended. Were stationed in Lemoore, CA, which im not too happy about. But hes been here for around 9 years. We've known each other for 8.
November 21st, 2012, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
UPDATE-

We went and spoke with an Army recruiter yesterday and he cannot go active duty army.They don't have any openings in his MOS and since he is 41 and only has about 5 years active duty time.....If he had 1 more year of ad he could have went infantry.....Soooooooooo.......................he is going to try to go Army Reserves.First he has to get a conditional release from the guard and then he can go reserves and they will send him to a school and then he will drill one weekend a month and 2 weeks AT.But he can apply for agr jobs for all 50 states then he would be full time and get active duty pay and benefits.

Worst case scenario,if the release is rejected he will have to wait until May when his contract is up.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search