Housing

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Where do you live?
Military Housing 7 50.00%
A rental home or apartment 4 28.57%
A home you purchased 3 21.43%
With relatives or some other arrangement 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dakotas_mom
  • 1 Post By steampunk

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2012, 05:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you live on base, rent, or own your home right now?

Are you happy with your home or do you wish it was bigger, newer, in a different area, etc? Is it better or worse than other homes you've had?
October 21st, 2012, 05:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We live in military housing. We ALWAYS live in military housing...this is our sixth on base home in ten years. Only once did we live in an apartment, and that was because we were on the waiting list for base housing.

Our current house is just "okay." Our last two houses were REALLY nice, so I knew that probably wouldn't continue for ever. This place is small and older (built in the 70's...not renovated) but it has a nice yard and is in a nice quiet area of the base.
October 21st, 2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We rent an apartment a few miles from post. The housing here for dh's paygrade looks awful (from what i've heard, it's not great looking inside either) and there was a wait list when we got here anyways.

I like our apartment, it's close to dh's work, not too far from stores and stuff, but still in a pretty quiet part of town. It's one story and I love not having upstairs neighbors. Our building is right next to the high school football field, which gets a little loud some evening, but overall it's not bad.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

October 21st, 2012, 01:38 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We live on base currently. I am glad to be on base because it is the better choice for us currently. This base has been working on redoing their housing for the past few years and we arrived just in time for brand new housing to open up - first people to live in our house! I do wish it was bigger, but honestly being so close to DH's work and knowing that our neighbors understand what we're going through (most of them have completed DH's training or are in it themselves) makes it worth it. Plus if we didn't live on base we'd have to live a good 30 minutes or more away because it's just not safe out in town (and we'd probably be paying more than BAH in rent and basic bills).

Last base we rented, but we couldn't live on base there since we weren't there for long enough. Base before that we lived on base - it was NOT nice housing in the least bit but pretty much everyone lived on base there so we did too. Base before that we couldn't live on base because they were kicking people out to tear it down.

October 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Little Women's Avatar Member
We rent a home. I love it. It's the perfect size for our family currently. We've lived in civilian housing, lived on base, and purchased a home in the past. Coast Guard housing tends to be some of the worst out there, so whenever possible, we avoid it.
October 30th, 2012, 11:03 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
We're in a apartment, I am hoping to get a town home before DH gets back
November 4th, 2012, 04:15 PM
MissesDavis's Avatar Army Girl
My hubby and I live in military housing. So far we like our house. We live in the historic red bricks housing on Fort Bliss

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. "
January 23rd, 2013, 05:13 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
We own our home! We have always lived on post and loved it except for our last on post housing here at Benning. The house was so old that heat and air would not stay in the house so the summers the coolest inside would be was 85 and the warmest it would be inside during the winter was 65. We ended up building a house off post to get out of there. I love our house and will be sad to put it up for Rent in December when we PCS. My only complaint is I wish we had one more room. We had a surprise pregnancy since moving in so I wish we had one more room for our newest addition to get her out of our room.

June 27th, 2013, 06:55 AM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
We live on post right now, it's better for us financially.

June 27th, 2013, 09:06 PM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We own our home. We're NG so not active military.
June 28th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Dakotas_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Yahoo to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotas_mom
We bought a home about 4 years ago. We love everything about the house it self, but I wish is was closer the base. I have alot of 'friends' that refuse to hang out at our place bc it's too far to drive (It's only 20 min from base..). It is much better than the small two bedroom we had on base. Everything is better about it, including the neighbors!
katylady likes this.

July 1st, 2013, 11:29 AM
steampunk's Avatar TTC #1!
We live in an apartment we rent. Luckily the Coast Guard has never little housing, so I hope I will never have to live in any. We do wish we had a house but we were poor and in major debt when we got here and now only have less than a year until we PCS, so we see it as a way ti build up a savings account.
mom2K&G likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search