Dilemma: Getting stationed closer to home but with possibility of deployment :/

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
MissesDavis's Avatar Army Girl
Hi ladies,

I don't talk too much on here, sorry about that. But anywhoo here's my dilemma, I feel like I need to talk with ladies who have been through similar events.

So I have made the decision to reenlist (Army Active Duty) this moth. I just can't see how we can bring in a new addition to our family and cut our salary in half completely, plus the job economy out there. There civilian world is scary, I'll give it that. As part of an incentive to my reenlistment, I'm reenlisting for station of choice. I decided to go with Fort Knox, KY. Fort Knox is only 7 hours away from my family. It will make things much easier when it comes to having the baby and making a family care plan.

BUT the catch is that the only brigade there deploys this summer! I'm really worried about my hubby deploying before the birth of our child. It just seems so scary to go through such a life changing event without him Not too mention he'll miss possibly the biggest day in his life besides his own birth.

Also if they deploy early summer, like before I have the baby. I will most likely deploy as well, as soon as November and join my husband in Afghanistan. This part I don't mind too much. I'd rather take a shorter tour 5-6 months than turn around 6-12 months later and do a full tour during the early years of our child's life.

I'm just not sure if I/we should take the chance in him missing the birth of our child. But with any duty station we pick, there's always the chance. I think I just needed to vent/talk a little. Sorry for the long rant guys :/

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. "
January 4th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have much advice just wanted to give some .
It's a tough decision and like you said, there's always a chance that no matter where you picked the same thing would happen.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

January 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you should take the duty station of your choice if you have the chance. You just can't predict the future, you know? You or your husband could be deployed from ANY base. They can even pull you and deploy you with another unit. The deployment could be extended...or shortened. There are just too many variables.

Good luck! I hope it works out really well for you two.
January 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know what to say but I think it would be easier for you if you live closer to your family.

February 23rd, 2013, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
Hi!! Nice to see there are other active duty females in here!! I can't imagine having your husband gone when your baby is born, but yay for Knox! I've heard only good things. Where are you from originally? (I am from IL and it's about the same amount of time for me to get home from knox)

I'm sure the two of you will come to a choice that works for both of you. And at least you'll have family close if he does have to be gone. Maybe it will work out that he can take his mid tour and be there? Anyway, keep us posted!

myspace
February 28th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Regular
And just remember, its easier on your children the younger they are when a parent is deployed. Its harder on the parent because you cant interact with your child the way you can with a child that speaks, draws pictures, or even understands you when you talk to them through a phone. And you miss the little milestones along the way. But its easier on the child because....well to put it bluntly...they aren't aware of thier surroundings enough to know what they are missing yet. I don't know if that helps at all. [Hugs]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search