Help me!!

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM
ShanMarie's Avatar Is it spring yet?
Okay girls I need some help.

Need to know the details on the per diem and the lodging while I drive to Norfolk. I plan on driving for three days. Dh has the form for the 80% up front, but I need to know what I am going to get and how much and what I need to do. Can anyone help me?

Please and thank you!

Oh and it will be me and both the kids driving 1400 miles for 3 days.
Preston-3
Cameron-1

February 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Per diem varies from day to day for some reason. I think my husband got 30 cents a mile, I got 15 cents a mile, and Danny got like 5 cents a mile. We didn't get anything up front, we got it all lump sum about 2 weeks after we PCSd. My husband and I each drove a vehicle up (my son drove with me), with 5,000 pounds of personal goods, got reimbursed for a budget truck and drove about 1400 miles. We got like 6500 after taxes. We took 3 days getting up here.

How many travel days did your husband get? Is your husband not driving with you? I'm not sure how it works if your husband isn't going to drive with you.

Basically you'll get money for food and lodging each day and then for each mile you drive for you and each of your kids.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM
*KeLLy*
We're getting 27cents a mile and you'll each get 30.00 a day for food plus 40-60.00 a day for hotel expenses. We just got an advance for 400.00 from TMO for our move to Ga.

You'll also want to sign up for a partial dity.. that way you'll make even more money off this move.
February 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Vickey
it depends on rank too....

he should have a form telling him how many travel days he is allowed. They give you a certain amount of money per day per person. It came out for us like 110 a day for DH and 85 a day for me. Plus the money for gas and food they gave us back.

We had 9 travel days from alaska....

save all recipts!!!! They made us right them down and make a huge list of them to get the money back.

Make sure to weight your car empty before you leave and full before you leave so you get paid for the weight you are taking with you. Remove the car seats before you weight it for the initial one too!!!!!!!
February 8th, 2007, 07:08 PM
ShanMarie's Avatar Is it spring yet?
Dh isnt traveling with me. I am driving by myself with my aunt so I can have a little help. They are also doing HHG move for me so I wont have anything other than the necessities with me.
Preston-3
Cameron-1

February 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Vickey
still weigh it regardless of the fact if its only an extra 100lbs!! You will get money for it
February 8th, 2007, 08:29 PM
*KeLLy*

And even if they do move ur things, there are some things u cannot move.

Chemicals for one, propane tanks in grills etc. Also house plants they won't move so if you sign up for a partial dity, weigh ur car like Vickey said and you will get A LOT of money for this move!!
February 9th, 2007, 05:25 AM
7/07Mommy
Quote:

And even if they do move ur things, there are some things u cannot move.

Chemicals for one, propane tanks in grills etc. Also house plants they won't move so if you sign up for a partial dity, weigh ur car like Vickey said and you will get A LOT of money for this move!! [/b]
I've never heard of a partial dity. Can you tell more about it? I am not looking forward to another cross-country move (especially with a new baby) next year!
February 9th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Its not by rank... Nothing is by rank when you move EXCEPT poundage... that is it.. We were staff and SrA and we got the same amount each.

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
February 9th, 2007, 06:51 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
i kno we got our travel money for the drive from nyc to georgia advanced to us in a pay check. (they gave us like 1800 bucks) then when we arrived we stayed on post. mike didnt have to put in travel pay but he did have to put in a tla for our lodging. it included what we paid out of pocket and perdiem for food for the first 10 days we were here. we wound up getting another 1600 dollars for that.

February 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM
A bit of a warning, if you DO decide to do a partial DITY, your weight must be at least 700 pounds for them to give you a dime.

A partial DITY is basically when you drive yourself and any family members with at least 700 pounds of personal belongings. You will get paid per mile and per pound and per person travelling.

Personally, I'm all about full out DITY moves. It's easy money and I have all my stuff with me at all times. My husband and I made 6500 AFTER taxes for 2 days worth of work and 2.5 days of driving. If we ever do a CONUS move again, we'll definitely without a doubt be doing a full DITY again.

And the horror stories I've heard from my friends and family in the military about having your personal items shipped makes me very wary of having "professional" movers touch my things. My BIL's car had all the speakers blown out and all sorts of furniture broken or damaged from the moves he's had with the military.

I'm totally not looking forward to having movers touch our stuff in March.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 9th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Rachel81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks I never knew this.. we have always been stuck in the same crap hole haha..

February 9th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Mommy2twogirls
Yeah, we've had SO many things stolen too.... ALL of Dh's tools got stolen. And unless you unpack every box right then... there is NOTHING you can do about broken or stolen things..

I am a little uneducated on all of this move stuff ... I am normally the one to pack everything and take care of EVERYTHING except for all the technical paperwork and stuff.

How the HECK do you make 6500 off a move that was only 2.5 days!?!? I wanna do that!!!

Any advice to me?? I am going to VA next month and we are moving it all ourselves... we don't want anything else stolen or broken.... Any money making tips are completely welcome!
February 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
7/07Mommy
Quote:
A bit of a warning, if you DO decide to do a partial DITY, your weight must be at least 700 pounds for them to give you a dime.

A partial DITY is basically when you drive yourself and any family members with at least 700 pounds of personal belongings. You will get paid per mile and per pound and per person travelling.

Personally, I'm all about full out DITY moves. It's easy money and I have all my stuff with me at all times. My husband and I made 6500 AFTER taxes for 2 days worth of work and 2.5 days of driving. If we ever do a CONUS move again, we'll definitely without a doubt be doing a full DITY again.

And the horror stories I've heard from my friends and family in the military about having your personal items shipped makes me very wary of having "professional" movers touch my things. My BIL's car had all the speakers blown out and all sorts of furniture broken or damaged from the moves he's had with the military.

I'm totally not looking forward to having movers touch our stuff in March. [/b]
Thanks for the info. Now I'm a little scared about having TMO move us. We have a lot of nice, brand new things that I would hate to have "lost" or damaged! I hate the thought of having to do it ourselves, but maybe a DITY is the way to go. hmmm............
February 9th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Well, you also have to remember some people have great experiences with the professional people.

Melissa - I love your siggy! How we made that much basically broke down to us renting a budget truck (getting fully reimbursed for that), getting reimbursed for gas for the rental truck and our Explorer (hubby drove the rental and I drove with my son in the Explorer). For each travel day allotted, you get paid per diem (latin for "per day"; it's a rate per mile/per person. Active duty gets the most, then the spouse gets the second most and then the kids all get the same amount each if they're under 18). Per diem covers food and lodging, I believe.

Then on top of that, any time you PCS you get something called DLA - Dislocation Allowance. It's given to you no matter how far you move or how many people go with you . That, I believe is based on rank. However, E-1 to E-4 get the same rate (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). Right now that's sitting at around $1,700. And since it's an allowance, there is no taxes taken out of that and you don't claim it at the end of the year.

February 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM
*KeLLy*
Ashley,

Your wrong on the partial dity. We estimated 200lbs and they was going to give us an advance for 400.00.

A partial dity is where you partially move half of your stuff when the government moves the rest. A partial dity people normally do bc you have to haul somethings in ur car when you move sometimes the military cannot move some things.

WORD of advice buy renters /movers insurance. This insures if your stuff gets lost or stolen you will get a check in that amount, if the movers damages your furniture, TMO will reimburse you for what the current cost of the item is.. our tv was damaged last move its 36" and we paid over 600 for it, well we only got 300 for it bc thats how much it was going for at best buy. You have to gather for them how much the current price is and bring it all in andthey'll issue u a check...not then, but shortly after u put in for it.
February 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Vickey
Quote:
Its not by rank... Nothing is by rank when you move EXCEPT poundage... that is it.. We were staff and SrA and we got the same amount each.[/b]
then home come my dad gets more then we do...
February 10th, 2007, 05:34 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
Quote:
And the horror stories I've heard from my friends and family in the military about having your personal items shipped makes me very wary of having "professional" movers touch my things. [/b]
here is a horror story for ya, the movers stole my engagement ring

February 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM
7/07Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
And the horror stories I've heard from my friends and family in the military about having your personal items shipped makes me very wary of having "professional" movers touch my things. [/b]
here is a horror story for ya, the movers stole my engagement ring
[/b]
OMG! I would kill someone. I am so sorry!!
I'm so paranoid about mine. I never take mine off except when I'm in the shower. My sister teases me that it's "my preciousssssss." LOL
February 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM
*KeLLy*
Michelle!! That is ridiculous!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search