Supportive People

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2007, 03:55 AM
7/07Mommy
I was just reading another thread where some of us shared some stories about people who have made negative comments, etc. to us about the military.
I thought it would be nice to share some GOOD stories about supportive things people have said or done.
Here's one:
I wanted to send DH some pictures/posters, etc. to remind him of home while he was in Iraq last year. He's from a small town in the Napa Valley (California's wine country). I was looking online and found a beautiful hand-painted poster of a map of the Napa Valley's wineries and vineyards. It even had DH's home town on it and the vineyard where we spent our wedding night! I e-mailed the website to ask if I paid a little extra, would they ship it to an FPO addresses overseas and explained who it was for and why. My phone rang literally 5 minutes after I sent the e-mail. It was the artist himself, and he told me that not only would he ship it for free, he wasn't going to charge me for the poster. When my DH received it, the artist had written him a nice note at the bottom and autographed it for him! It survived Iraq, and we got it framed when he came home. It's now on the wall above our wine cabinet. It's a little tattered and torn, but it makes for a nice story.
February 11th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great Question! I will have to think on that and get back with you.
February 11th, 2007, 07:46 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
hmm i dont have a positive story for mike but i do have one for my friend jenn's husband. actually two.

he is stationed at fort hamilton in brooklyn and they got tickets for the ranger game through mwr. not only did they get box seats but adam graves (he was a ranger and i beleive now the manager) hung out with them all night.

last week the same group of guys (they are all mp's) went to the toby keith concert and when he saw all the guys in uniform (which is an oddity in nyc, unless its fleet week) he asked them onstage and sayg american solder and something else with all of them on stage.

alas i have no stories related to my mike, though savannah is very pro military which is a nice change to nyc.

February 11th, 2007, 09:31 AM
klfc28
DH and I were in this little fruit shop one day. The lady that rang us up asked if he was in the military - hard not to miss with the haircut - she about started crying. Kept saying thank you thank you and came out behind the counter to hug him. It was really cute watching him cuz he looked like he was about run away as fast as he could!

He gets those kind of comments all the time and little old ladies wanting to hug him.
February 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well we are pretty new, so no really good stories, lol. But when he was home on Christmas Exodus, everytime we would go out shopping at least one person would come up and say thank you to him. Its a small town and you dont see people in uniform, ever

February 11th, 2007, 04:15 PM
*KeLLy*
Ed and I was eating in a restaurant after 9-11. I was very pregnant at the time. These two old ladies came up to us and said they wanted to thank Ed for his service and wanted to thank me for my patience. They then said don't worry about the bill we just paid for it.. we've had that happen to us twice!
February 11th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have one from back when we were 18 and 19 and Matt was an E3 in the Army. We had just gotten married and then 3 weeks later Matt left for Afghanistan. Well like 2 days before he left we found out the Army was keeping his pay. He apparently had been getting paid BAS for over a year living in the barracks and also had a meal card so he had to pay back the BAS. They refused to let him do a payment plan and took his entire paycheck two times in a row. We went to whatever that army family relief or whatever it is called and they were really nasty and wouldn't help us at all. And we were just starting out so we didn't have an credit cards or anything to hold us over. Well I was totally flipping out on a board kinda like this one and this AF wife I didn't even know that well asked for my address and immediatly sent me $100 in cash. I just thought it was the nicest thing ever. It wasn't even the $ that was so special to me...I just thought it was great there are people out there that care and want to help others. She wouldn't even let me pay her back..she just told me that when I see someone else who needs help I should pass it along. So I think it was the next year or so after Matt used that money that we would have paid her back to buy Christmas presents for the children of a struggling junior enlisted family.
February 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
My family is all Canadian... I married an American, so when the Iraq war started and the Canadian government took the "stance" that it did. My Dad, being ex-military, was absolutely furious...

Now every letter or package they send to us, somewhere on the envelope or wrapping, is written the phrase:

"Go USA! Freedom is not free. Thank You!"

And it's caught on with all my other family too, now my Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles do it too.

That catches my husband every time he sees that. It always makes him smile.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
February 12th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
I've seen random people walk up to my husband and say thank you and shake his hand.

The best story though - my nephew is a combat medic for the Army and he just got out of AIT about a month ago. So when he PCS'd from AIT to his first base, he was sitting during a layover at an airport eating lunch (in uniform) ... and some guy came up to him and started talking to him. Apparently this guy was a combat medic during the Gulf war and actually had taken part in the battle featured in the movie "Black Hawk Down". He sat with my nephew talking with him, telling him stories, thanking him for his service and then bought his entire lunch for him.

I love when women and men thank me for being a military wife.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 12th, 2007, 09:36 AM
pjcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pjcherry Send a message via MSN to pjcherry Send a message via Yahoo to pjcherry
i don't have one about my DH but about me i have ppl when i call a company to get some info and say i am a military they go i wanna tell you thank you for all you do serving our country.
February 12th, 2007, 11:27 AM
kelbel's Avatar Veteran
Friday night DH and I went out to eat. We really couldn't affort it but we always have a date on Friday nights. We had both worked late and neither one of us felt like cooking so we went out. While we were waiting for a table we were sitting on a bench and there was room for one more person on the bench and a chair next to it.
A couple walked in with their teenage daughter and the grandmother. The grandma came and sat next to my husband and the mom sat on the chair. My husband automatically stood up and offered his seat to the daughter. The dad said something about gentlemen being hard to find these days and we started talking to them.
They asked if we were from here and I told them "No, we're stationed here". The dad started talking about how his father was career AF and how great of a life it is. He was also talking to DH about aircraft since DH is a pilot. This guy new a lot about planes which isn't suprising since this is a huge aviation town. They kept thanking DH for serving and then they started talking about the sacrifices the wife makes and thanked me too.
When it was time to pay for our dinner our server told us that another guest had paid for it. Of course we knew who it was. We went to thank them but the just kept thanking us. It was really nice.
February 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
ahillo5
i went out with my sister in law like the week before christmas for some shopping. she has a tight schedule so she didn't have time to get out of uniform before she came and got me. so we went to a few stores and everywhere there were ladies who just smiled and nodded.

at one store this lady started thanking her for her service and everything and my sil mentioned that all her brothers were servicemen also and she smiled and then looked at me and asked if i was married to one of them and i said yes. she hugged me and thanked me for supporting our troops who make it possible for her to sleep at night and then hugged my sil and thanked us about ten more times and then walked away.

my sil thought she was kinda weird, but it was nice to be thanked for being a wife of a military man.
February 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Rachel81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well today when I dropped riley off at daycare a lady asked me if my husband was in the military (I have like 3 magnets on the back of my car) and I said yea.. then she said is he in Iraq? YEP! then she goes well tell him i said thank you. I cant believe how good that made me feel the rest of the day!

BTW im living at home in michigan for a lil while away from where we are stationed and there isnt a base near us.. so I was totally surprised..

I also forgot.. when My husband and I went to his home town in new york last year we went to this diner ran by a retired marine. I had my army wife shirt on and he started talking to my husband.. then when he was done talking military he told us our meal was free! He said "not all of us jarheads are ********!" it was so cute and funny..

February 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When DH came home for R&R, he came into a small airport here. As we were leaving, we stopped at the booth to pay for our parking, the man looked at DH, who was in uniform, and said "It's obvious that you're in our military, and have been overseas, so don't worry about paying. Thank you for your service" It was so sweet, definitely made my day (as if DH coming home didn't do that already!)
I have lots of people tell me they are praying for DH, especially people from our church. They always ask how he's doing, they even sent him a care package.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
February 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love all these stories. I have a few.

A few months ago I was visiting DH in Austrailia. Port Call. and we went out to a local pub which was quite crowed with people. Because it was also the night of the Superbowl of soccer (what ever they call it) so lot of people were partying and drinking. It was known that that sub was in and we had so many beers bought for us that we could not possibly begin to drink them all. Finally DH got to where, when another beer came his way, he would raise it up for a "thank you" salute to which ever person across the room bought it for him , take a few drinks and discreatly find a window ledge or empty table to leave it on. It was really loads of fun.

Another time a few years ago when I was on a LONG plane flight. My DD, who was 1 and had reached the point of exhaustion, was crying non stop. A gentleman across the isle stepped across and very kindly asked me if I had a rough flight. I said, "Yes, it had been a very rough day..... no 2 days." then he asked me where I was coming from and I said the Middle East. The 2 ladies in the seats in front did the quick double take then when I got off the plane I had LOTS of help. With and 1 and 3 yr old I needed it.

Another time flying from Guam to the States my plane was delayed out to HI. so I would miss my conection in Dallas. I got to talking with the couple across the isle from me and found out he was retired military (forget which branch now). They saw that I was traveling with 2 small kids and had missed my conecting flight and offered that I can spend the night at their house (they lived in Dallas) and they would get me to the airport the next morning if I was unable to be on another flight that evening. I did get another flight but was really appreciative of the offer.

OK maybe I fly a little too much.

Last of all. My MIL is one of those people that makes it a point to thank and shakes hand of any service member that she happens to see in uniform. So if you are in MI and a sweet, white haired, LITTLE old lady sees DH in uniform and shakes his hand and says Thank You. That might be my mother-in-law.
February 13th, 2007, 03:58 AM
7/07Mommy
I love these stories. I'm getting all teary-eyed reading them. &$%^ pregnancy hormones!!
February 13th, 2007, 04:37 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
Quote:
Apparently this guy was a combat medic during the Gulf war and actually had taken part in the battle featured in the movie "Black Hawk Down".[/b]
sweet. that guy was spec ops!

February 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Quote:
He said "not all of us jarheads are ********!" it was so cute and funny..[/b]
That made me giggle!

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search