Feeling overwhelmed...

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was doing some reading online about pcs'ing and now Im frightened, lol. It all seems so complicated. We plan on doing a dity move becuase about 90% of our stuff is already packed sitting in storage, and we would like to make some money as we sold off a lot of our big stuff (like couches, etc). Will they(army) be sending me info on how to do all this stuff? How does it work if you are on the wait list for housing? We have terrible credit, how are we going to get off post housing, and are you supposed to have that lined up before you go? Im just so confused, someone help!!

February 17th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
First off, calm down. It's ok!

Good job for selecting to do a DITY move, it's the easiest thing ever and you can make tons of money!!

As soon as your husband has the orders in his hand, go to your housing office at your current ("losing") base and have them get you on the waiting list for base housing at the gaining base. I think you can get on the list up to 6 months in advance, but I'm not sure. But as soon as he has the official orders, get on the housing list. Do NOT wait until the last minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you cannot get on base housing, you will get off basing. Your credit may be an issue, but, you have to remember your DH has a guaranteed job the next few years, so getting one shouldn't be a problem. I'd talk with finance to see how you can get your credit up, too.

As for doing a DITY move, it's relatively easy. Rent a truck and weigh it empty (with a full tank of gas) ... pack all your stuff in it ... reweigh it. Make sure you do it somewhere they will give you a ticket for it - like a recycling center or certain gas stations. TMO should give you a list of where does it in your local area. Ok, KEEP THE RECEIPTS FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you rent your truck, I recommend Budget. They are the cheapest and have the best trucks. Call them to make the reservation. Tell them your husband is military, and pull every heartstring you can. When I got our truck, I told the lady he'd been gone for 7 months (for training) and that we were pregnant and moving away from our family and blah blah blah ... she gave us HUGE discounts. I think we paid like $700 for having the truck for a week, driving from CA to WA, and it was a 15 foot truck. Yeah, it was awesome.

If you plan on driving a POV too (your own Personally Owned Vehicle), weigh that too. Keep all reciepts for gas for that, too.

Anyhow, keep reciepts for everything - food, gas, lodging. Even fast food and AmPm 7-11 quicky mart reciepts for bottled water and licorice. If you buy something to eat, save the reciept.

Get a folder to keep all your reciepts in, too. You'll need to keep it handy and together.

Then when you get to your gaining base, your husband will go to TMO and they'll reimburse you for your expenses. I don't have a lot of information on that, but, if my husband can do it, anyone can! It's very easy.

It takes 2-6 weeks to get your reimbursement money ... and it is ohhh sooo worth it!

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 17th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks!! That doesnt seem as hard as I thought, lol. The only thing is, this is our fist move, and Im not on a base or anything now. The only military stuff we have even close is just some air national guard base and a deactivated army place. How does that affect things? Oh and I will be doing most of the prep work on my own, as dh is in ait. We are not sure what kind of leave he will be getting after that, so I need to have stuff ready to go if needs be...

February 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Rachel81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Never PCS'd.. So I cant help.. but you will do fine! Good luck!

February 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Your husband will be handling everything from AIT.

Mine handled it all from tech school, which is the same thing as AIT.

Try to relax, even if your DH doesn't know *** he's doing TMO will! There is really nothing that you can do when it comes to the paperwork and all that jazz - but you can get the rental truck, and start organizing things and boxing things up.

My husband didn't take any leave when he got out of tech school. He literally came home at 6pm and we woke up at 4am the next day, packed the house and left at about 5pm and started driving!

Since you're doing a DITY move, he'll be allotted a certain amount of travel days, which is something he'll find out when he turns in his DITY paperwork (which you won't have to tell him to do, it's something they'll automatically do at AIT). My husband was given 3 days to go from central California to western Washington, and it was plenty of time.

ETA: Travel days are nonchargeable leave - which means he doesn't use any of his leave days for travel. They're basically "free" days, if that makes sense.

Also -
If you think you need more time, he can apply for hometown recruiting - where he basically will work with the recruiters in your town for 2 weeks. My nephew did that before he PSCd to his first base. If that is something you want to think about doing, have him talk to someone in charge at AIT.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
when my husband got out of AIT he had 1 month of leave and had to report to Drum on a certain day. we were on the housing list ASAP when he found out where we were going and he came here me and the girls stayed home with my family and they let him stay in the barracks while we waited for housing. after he got housing we came up here. He sent me a copy of his orders and i called the movers and just set up a date and handed them his orders and they did it all.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search