Worst Things You Can Say to a Woman Whose Husband is Deployed

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2007, 10:37 PM
mom2bella's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mom2bella Send a message via Yahoo to mom2bella
I got this from another board I'm apart of and thought you Ladies, especially ones going through deployments could relate.

The Worst Things You Can Say to a Woman Whose Husband is Deployed
By Rebekah Sanderlin

I have a lot of friends with husbands who are deployed right now. For most of them this is at least their second or third deployment to go through as a couple. So the other day I was talking with a friend whose husband is currently deployed and we started talking about the most annoying things that usually well-meaning people say to us regarding deployments. We agreed that we are always polite in our responses and that we realize that the offending person usually had only the best of intentions. But here's what we came up with as the things we get asked or told that really make our skin crawl. They're not in any particular order. Feel free to add some of your own in the comments.

1. "Aren't you afraid that he'll be killed?"
This one ranks in at number one on my "duh" list. Of course we're afraid. We're terrified. The thought always lingers at the backs of our minds ---but thanks, you just brought it back to the front. Maybe next you can go ask someone with cancer if they're scared of dying.

2. "I don't know how you manage. I don't think I could do it."
Though this is really annoying, I feel bad about mentioning it because I know that it is intended to be a compliment. Still, it's not like all of us military wives have been dreaming since childhood of the day we'd get to be anxious single moms who carry cell phones with us to the bathroom. We're not made of some mysterious matter that makes us more capable, we just got asked/told to take on a challenging job and we rose to the challenge.

3. "At least he's not in Iraq."
This is the number one most annoying comment for my friends whose husbands are in Afghanistan. As one friend put it, "What do they think is happening in Afghanistan? A huge game of golf? Guys are fighting and dying over there, too."

4. "Do you think he'll get to come home for Christmas/anniversary/birthday/birth of a child/wedding/family reunion, etc?"
Don't you watch the news? No. They don't get to come home for any of these things. Please don't ask again.

5. "What are you going to do to keep yourself busy while he's gone?"
Short answer: Try to keep my sanity. Maybe there's a military wife out there who gets bored when her husband leaves, but I have yet to meet her. For the rest of us, those with and without children, we find ourselves having to be two people. That keeps us plenty busy. We do get lonely, but we don't get bored.

6. "How much longer does he have until he can get out?"
This one is annoying to many of us whether our husbands are deployed or not. Many of our husbands aren't counting down the days until they "can" get out. Many of them keep signing back up again and again because (gasp!) they love what they do.

7. "This deployment shouldn't be so bad, now that you're used to it."
Sure, we do learn coping skills. And we figure out ways to make life go smoother while the guys are gone. But it never gets easy and the bullets and bombs don't skip over our guys just because they've been there before. The worry never goes away.

8. "My husband had to go to Europe for business once for three weeks. I totally know what you're going through."
This one is similar to number two. Do not equate your husband's three week trip to London/Omaha/Tokyo/etc. with a one-year deployment to a war zone. Aside from the obvious trip length difference, nobody shot at your husband or tried to blow him up with an I.E.D., your husband could call home pretty much any time he wanted to, he flew comfortably on a commercial plane, slept between crisp white sheets and ate well, paying for everything with an expense account. There is no comparison. We do not feel bonded to you in the slightest because of this comment and, if anything, we probably resent you a bit for comparing a combat deployment to a business trip.

9. "Don't you miss him?"
Like number one, this one gets a big "duh" from me. Of course we miss our husbands. If we didn't, we'd get divorced.

10. "Where is that?"
I don't expect non-military folks to be able to find Anbar Province on a map, but they should know by now that it's in Iraq. Likewise, know that Kabul and Kandahar are in Afghanistan. Know that Muqtada al Sadr is the insurgent leader of the Mahdi Army in Iraq and that Sadr City is his home area. Know that Iran is a major threat to our country and that it is located between Afghanistan and Iraq. Our country has been at war in Afghanistan for six and a half years and at war in Iraq for four years. These basic facts are not secrets, they're on the news every night and in the papers every day ---and on maps everywhere. You've had time to learn it. Do your part by at least knowing what is going on.

April 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM
7/07Mommy
OMG, these are all so true!!!

The best one I got while my husband was in Iraq was, "Does he get to go to bars on the weekends?" BARS??? WEEKENDS??? People honestly have no clue!!
April 14th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Lesliemck86's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:

The best one I got while my husband was in Iraq was, "Does he get to go to bars on the weekends?" BARS??? WEEKENDS??? People honestly have no clue!! [/b]

</div>
April 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM
CherryFrog1926's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to CherryFrog1926 Send a message via Yahoo to CherryFrog1926
Quote:

The best one I got while my husband was in Iraq was, "Does he get to go to bars on the weekends?" BARS??? WEEKENDS??? People honestly have no clue!! [/b]
do they honestly think this is a normal 9-5 job mon-fri and they get to partie on weekeds?
April 14th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
2. "I don't know how you manage. I don't think I could do it."
Though this is really annoying, I feel bad about mentioning it because I know that it is intended to be a compliment. Still, it's not like all of us military wives have been dreaming since childhood of the day we'd get to be anxious single moms who carry cell phones with us to the bathroom. We're not made of some mysterious matter that makes us more capable, we just got asked/told to take on a challenging job and we rose to the challenge.[/b]
This question bugs me the most. Not that my dh has been deployed yet, but I always carried my phone with me to the bathroom while he was in basic/ait. To the bolded part. I think i will just have it surgically attached when he gets deployed.

April 14th, 2007, 03:22 PM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
These are so true!
Thanks for sharing.

No one else would understand why you make sure you do your dishes and pick up your dirty clothes off the floor every night JUST IN CASE something happens.

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

April 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM
*KeLLy*
I was told while in WV that even though my Dh is medical that he still can be bombed.. I just looked at the girl like I could have run plum thru her! People act like we DON"T know these things.

Those are all very true.
April 14th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Veteran
So true!

Add to that---"My husband is getting off work late tonight. I'm so bored. I never get to see him. His work should be more sensitive to families."

SHUT SHUT SHUT UP!
April 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Lesliemck86's Avatar Super Mommy
"he went on a 3 day business trip, and it sucks!!"

</div>
April 14th, 2007, 07:19 PM
yea when I read these I was like WOW THESE ARE ALL SO TRUE!!! Its crazy lol ahh I swear you can't really understand this lifestyle unless you live it yourself.

April 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM
*KeLLy*
Hey girls how about the :

"Dh can never go to dr's appointments with me, and its so unfair"

I guess we're just special ppl who can tandem 2 diaper bags a 2 seater stroller, manage to arrive at an appt 15 mins early fill out paperwork get in there manage to get answers to our questions take care of our children get examined and leave.. which makes it obvious that WE ARE special people to be THIS great at multitasking and have THIS MUCh PATIENCE!
April 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
kelbel's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I was told while in WV that even though my Dh is medical that he still can be bombed.. I just looked at the girl like I could have run plum thru her! People act like we DON"T know these things.

Those are all very true.[/b]
That just blows my mind. What an idiot.
April 15th, 2007, 08:03 PM
*KeLLy*
Yup.. I really couldn't believe she'd be brazen enough to say that to me. I've had a lot of other rude comments thrown at me like this also. You just learn to get used to peoples stupidity.
April 16th, 2007, 08:07 AM
littleangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to littleangel
those are so true! though I still get a lot of them even though Dh ahs been home for awhile. I hated though when people would ask how I took care of a new born and a 6 year old by myself, hello I have no choice no one else is going to take care them you know! oh and when he was over there people aksing me if I worried a lot about him being shot at or not comeing home (I guess that was their =nice way of saying he could die) i never complained much and just kept going and smiling and I guess that makes it hard for others to see just how hard it really is. I mean they see us laughing and having a good time with our kids and they don't know what it is like late at night when we are by ourselves. So i try to keep that in mind when people say stupid things, they really just don't understand.

April 16th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Quote:
they see us laughing and having a good time with our kids and they don't know what it is like late at night when we are by ourselves.[/b]

nights were always the hardest for me anyway. especially after isabella is in bed...ugh!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search