December Chat Thread

Forum: Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cheala put Morgan Freeman's comments about the shooting on her facebook and I copied it onto mine. I think he summed it up perfectly:

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you kn ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

I think he has the right idea here, these people are often mentally challenged or have personality disorders, etc. I can completely see many of them thinking "well at least I will go out in a blaze of glory and everyone will finally know who I am..." It's sick, but I see his point.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

December 15th, 2012, 03:04 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
Although I do think their needs to be ban on automatic weapons unless you are in the armed forces. Nobody needs a gun that powerful to hunt or protect themselves
I didn't see your post until after I posted mine and that makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna steal it lol

Last edited by KatyG; December 15th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
December 15th, 2012, 03:10 PM
That is a very good point, Katy. I agree with that. Although again even if there was a ban you would still have the black market where they could get them, but it would at least slow it down a little maybe.

December 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Yeah that's true.
December 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM
briena's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to briena
That is all true. Its hard to see it both ways when you live in Canada haha everyone here is sooo nice. There is still crime yes but hardly ever anything SUPER crazy. Like Morgan Freeman said, people doing the shootings want to die, they just want everyone to know about it, and its like each shooting is someone trying to top the last one. He is mad at the media too for everything, saying they have set the bar, because what is next , a daycare? So sad

Another thing about Canada is yes we have free health care, but its also a LOT easier to get mental health care and paid for by the government. The states need something like that big time, these shooters and whoever else could of had the help that they needed and it could have been prevented.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
December 17th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I am headed to the mall today while the kids are at school to find a dress for a Christmas party tonight. I am nervous that I wont find one good enough on such short notice, eep!

December 17th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Good luck, Brie! I am going to try to clean like crazy today and finish Addi's bookshelf. Tomorrow I have observations and then later this week I have to finish shopping for Dh's stocking. There is just so much to do!

December 17th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I hope you found your dress Brie
And good luck finishing everything Meagan
December 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM
3Kendra3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with you Meaganabout gun control.

I know a lot of people have been saying that the United States is awful when it comes to crime, but someone pointed out that we had a grown man shoot up a school, when in other countries they have kids the same age as those who lost their lives with guns in their hands doing the killing.

Mexico right now, I won't even consider going to a Mexico because of all the horrible things going on. It hits close to home for us because DH's uncle was dismembered in Mexico. His other Uncle is still missing and they only found his truck. Another family friend was also killed and they only found parts of him. Its just literally a sad sad world. Not just here but everywhere.

The sad thing is, its only going to get worse. For every huge masacre in this world that we watch on TV and think how tragic, there are many out there planning to find a way to top that tragedy to make their name known for something much more worse.

Thank you Bokkechick for my beautiful siggy!
December 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
That is very true, soo sad . I follow a lot of people on twitter that are news related and it fills up my feed and its all heartbreaking. When I was in Mexico we went into the city and I was really nervous about it because of all of the stories I have heard. Luckily we didn't encounter anything crazy. I am dreading the next big thing to hit the news, after little kids dieing, what could someone possibly do to top that?

December 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM
3Kendra3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope nothing, I can't imagine how it can get worse then that.

I look at Sam's school. Once you go into the main entrance on the left is the principals office and Sam's class is the first class on the right. I keep thinking if it happens at her school her class is the first class you come across, as well as my nephews since they are in the same class.

Thank you Bokkechick for my beautiful siggy!
December 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM
It's sad that this is the kind of world we live in, that you would even have to think of those things when walking into Sam's school. It makes me sick to be honest. I will be praying for your Dh's family Kendra.

December 21st, 2012, 10:11 AM
Oh that is a sad thing to have in the back of your mind

We are finally ready for Christmas..I think haha. Going to get te kids Santa pic done after they are done school today.

Our family Christmas with my grandparents is tomorrow so I am trying to get the house perfect today!

December 21st, 2012, 11:38 AM
Have fun at your families Christmas Brie! I have two papers to write this weekend and then a lesson plan to edit and then it's Christmas break for 2 weeks. Woohoo, I am ready for a break!

December 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Enjoy your break! I too am enjoying this last break I get before school starts, I am getting so nervous!

December 24th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Merry Christmas Everybody!!!
December 25th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Merry Christmas!

December 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hope you all had an amazing Christmas! Ours was really good. Now I am just sitting around being nervous about going back to school. Ahhhh!

December 31st, 2012, 09:15 AM
Happy NYE hope everyone has a great night!

December 31st, 2012, 10:40 AM
Happy New Years Eve everyone! What are y'alls plans? We are going to a friends house to celebrate, and then they are coming over tomorrow to eat the good luck food lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search