i need some help..

Forum: Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2007, 01:33 PM
briena's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to briena
well for two months straight shes been eating 8 ounces every 4 hours and with her last feeding before bed she got cereal.........well for the past 3 days she has been screaming for food every 2 - 3 hours! shes eating 8 ounces every time.....im still giving her cereal before bed and ive started giving it to her in the morning as well.........i fed her cereal and an 8 ounce bottle at 12...i just fed her another 8 ounce bottle at 3 and she drank every last drop of it within less than 10 minutes! how much formula was / is your 4 month old eating? can they have more than 8 ounces a feeding? we only have 8 ounce bottles so am i supposed to use two bottles for every feeding? were starting her on baby food tomorrow but my mom thinks for today i should give her cereal every time i feed her.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
August 21st, 2007, 01:39 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
Hm I don't really know. Mikayla wasn't on any real schedule.. she breastfed along w/ formula so I'm not really sure how much she was getting. But, I started her at cereal twice a day when she was 3.5 months and then baby food around 5 or 6. I think she'll be more settled once you start giving her food-- is she a big baby? Mikayla was 18 pounds at 4 months lol

Until you start her, I don't think you should give her cereal every time you give her a bottle, it might be too much for her system to handle. But I could be wrong.. do you feed her til she's full when you give her the cereal? If you don't, then I would, that will make her stomach more full.
August 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
yeah i think ill just keep feeding her a bunch of formula today..shes pretty big shes roughly 15 - 16 pounds. shes ALWAYS hungry lol and she loves her food

August 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Tiffany1287's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiffany1287 Send a message via Yahoo to Tiffany1287
I would def start feeding her cereal as much as possible. You are going to go broke having to buy so much formula. Dakota is like 4+ months I believe and that is when a lot of people start doing solids. I give Rileigh solids every once in a while but not a ton. When it comes to solids my suggestion is to start on vegis. If you give her fruits first they are much sweeter and she won't want the vegis.
August 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM
we're starting her on sweet potatoes tomorrow

August 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
Mikayla still eats sweet potatoes and bananas that are baby food once in a while. I just wasn't sure if all the cereal would back her up where she wasn't used to so much or upset her stomach a little, but I'm probably wrong.. I'm sure it'd be ok.

I fed Mikayla on demand but my family makes big babies
August 21st, 2007, 01:59 PM
skyj03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you giving her cereal in her bottle or spoon feeding it to her??

August 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jdee0509
I think shes eating way too much. When you think shes hungry, distract her into doing something else. I dont think she should be eating that much. Or you could give her water in between or maybe a little bit of diluted juice in a cup.

August 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM
Super Mommy
I forget how old Dakota is.... but at 5 months Louis was eating 8 ounces about every 3 hours, and 3 times a day I was giving him cereal and starting with veggies.

His dr told me that at that ager babies should have up to 32 ounces of formula, and as much solids as they will eat to supplement that. He said that a healthy baby will not overeat, and will give you cues to know when they are not hungry any more.
August 21st, 2007, 02:14 PM
GabrielsMommy's Avatar Regular
Hi Brie, I don't know if I'll be much help because I don't remember how much Gabriel was eating at that age, but I skimmed through babycenter.com and found some articles that may be helpful. And I wanted to add that I don't think you should be give her more than 8oz at a time.

Here's one on how/when to introduce solids:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_introducing-so...p;articleId=113

and here's one on how to tell how much formula to give baby:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-ho...y-needs_9136.bc

also make sure her cues that she is giving you are saying "I'm hungry" and not just that she wants to be held, played with, etc. Hope that helped and GL!

August 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Are you giving her cereal in her bottle or spoon feeding it to her??[/b]
we put it in a bowl and mix an ounce of her bottle in with it and spoon feed it to her

Quote:
I think shes eating way too much. When you think shes hungry, distract her into doing something else. I dont think she should be eating that much. Or you could give her water in between or maybe a little bit of diluted juice in a cup.[/b]
the problem is that when i fed her at 3 she had been fussing since 2 for food i spent that whole hour distracting her with cartoons , toys, holding her she didnt want any ofi t just her food

Quote:
Hi Brie, I don't know if I'll be much help because I don't remember how much Gabriel was eating at that age, but I skimmed through babycenter.com and found some articles that may be helpful. And I wanted to add that I don't think you should be give her more than 8oz at a time.

Here's one on how/when to introduce solids:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_introducing-so...p;articleId=113

and here's one on how to tell how much formula to give baby:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-ho...y-needs_9136.bc

also make sure her cues that she is giving you are saying "I'm hungry" and not just that she wants to be held, played with, etc. Hope that helped and GL![/b]
she wont eat if shes not hungry...just last week if we fed her too much she wouldnt fnish the bottle..but for the last 3 days shes been eating more food more often and eating it all even with cereal..so she must have just hit a growth spurt or something.. but when shes full she spits out the formula..she hasnt done that in 3 days..

August 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
chlodoll
Maybe she is having a growth spurt? I didnt bottle feed so I dont really know how babies who are react during spurts but Isaiah would want to nurse ALL THE TIME when he was having one!

Also could she be gassy? I know when DS was gassy sometimes he thought he was hungry and he would eat and it would just actually make it worse.
August 23rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
Don't give her water. Here's an article from babycenter
Quote:
Hold off on giving your baby water until he's about 6 months old, and limit it to about an ounce or two at a time — ideally after meals. You don't want your baby to feel so full that he refuses to nurse or take his bottle. If your baby seems interested in taking occasional sips of water before 6 months of age, it's not going to hurt him. In fact, a little bit of water can help keep your baby hydrated in hot weather. But talk to his doctor if you're offering it before 6 months. Giving a baby younger than 6 months old too much water can interfere with his body's ability to absorb the nutrients in breast milk or formula. In rare cases, babies who drink too much water can develop a condition known as "water intoxication," which can cause seizures and even coma.[/b]
I also wouldn't give her any juice-it could give her diarrhea. I think it's time to start her on solids. I started Evan already and he's only 3 months old-I did the same thing with Matthew. Being as she's so hungry all the time and eating that much, I definitely think she's ready.
August 23rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Hold off on giving your baby water until he's about 6 months old, and limit it to about an ounce or two at a time — ideally after meals. You don't want your baby to feel so full that he refuses to nurse or take his bottle. If your baby seems interested in taking occasional sips of water before 6 months of age, it's not going to hurt him. In fact, a little bit of water can help keep your baby hydrated in hot weather. But talk to his doctor if you're offering it before 6 months. Giving a baby younger than 6 months old too much water can interfere with his body's ability to absorb the nutrients in breast milk or formula. In rare cases, babies who drink too much water can develop a condition known as "water intoxication," which can cause seizures and even coma.[/b]
I also wouldn't give her any juice-it could give her diarrhea. I think it's time to start her on solids. I started Evan already and he's only 3 months old-I did the same thing with Matthew. Being as she's so hungry all the time and eating that much, I definitely think she's ready.
[/b][/quote]

we started her on sweet potatoes yesterday ..i only want to give it to her once a day for now..but my mom gave her some at about 8 30 this morning too

August 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>Hold off on giving your baby water until he's about 6 months old, and limit it to about an ounce or two at a time — ideally after meals. You don't want your baby to feel so full that he refuses to nurse or take his bottle. If your baby seems interested in taking occasional sips of water before 6 months of age, it's not going to hurt him. In fact, a little bit of water can help keep your baby hydrated in hot weather. But talk to his doctor if you're offering it before 6 months. Giving a baby younger than 6 months old too much water can interfere with his body's ability to absorb the nutrients in breast milk or formula. In rare cases, babies who drink too much water can develop a condition known as "water intoxication," which can cause seizures and even coma.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

we started her on sweet potatoes yesterday ..i only want to give it to her once a day for now..but my mom gave her some at about 8 30 this morning too
[/b][/quote]

that's great! I saw those pics and they are too cute. I usually give Evan some fruit in the morning, then oatmeal cereal at night-he has a bit of a stomach bug ATM so he's just getting his cereal at night.
August 23rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>Hold off on giving your baby water until he's about 6 months old, and limit it to about an ounce or two at a time — ideally after meals. You don't want your baby to feel so full that he refuses to nurse or take his bottle. If your baby seems interested in taking occasional sips of water before 6 months of age, it's not going to hurt him. In fact, a little bit of water can help keep your baby hydrated in hot weather. But talk to his doctor if you're offering it before 6 months. Giving a baby younger than 6 months old too much water can interfere with his body's ability to absorb the nutrients in breast milk or formula. In rare cases, babies who drink too much water can develop a condition known as "water intoxication," which can cause seizures and even coma.[/b]
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

that's great! I saw those pics and they are too cute. I usually give Evan some fruit in the morning, then oatmeal cereal at night-he has a bit of a stomach bug ATM so he's just getting his cereal at night.
[/b][/quote]

aww..ya dakotas not feeling too great either cuz she just got shots yesterday so she doesnt erally want to eat..but shes eating all her baby food and cereal so thats good...im getting her back tonight tho so ill get more formula into her. after you feed a baby baby food with formula..will they be hungry again 4 hours later or will she go longer without being hungry?

August 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(~Matthew & Evan's Mommy~ @ Aug 23 2007, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>Don't give her water. Here's an article from babycenter
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

aww..ya dakotas not feeling too great either cuz she just got shots yesterday so she doesnt erally want to eat..but shes eating all her baby food and cereal so thats good...im getting her back tonight tho so ill get more formula into her. after you feed a baby baby food with formula..will they be hungry again 4 hours later or will she go longer without being hungry?

[/b][/quote]

the solids *usually* hold them over a little longer. Although, sometimes I will feed Evan solids and then a 4 ounce bottle, and he's hungry just a few hours later. But most of the time it takes a little longer for him to get hungry. At night, after cereal and a bottle, Evan will sleep for 7 hours. But no matter what he still eats about every 3-4 hours during the day-but he's going through a growth spurt.
August 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
weve been giving her cereal, baby food and a bottle all in one feeding so she only eats about 4 ounces of an 8 ounce bottle..so ill probably start giving her just baby food with a 6 ounce bottle during the day..and i only want her having baby food once a day and then cereal before bed

August 23rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Quote:
weve been giving her cereal, baby food and a bottle all in one feeding so she only eats about 4 ounces of an 8 ounce bottle..so ill probably start giving her just baby food with a 6 ounce bottle during the day..and i only want her having baby food once a day and then cereal before bed[/b]
that sounds like a good plan. Start out slowly and before you know it she will be eating the little "meals" in a jar

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search