Due Sunday!

Forum: Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM
Regular
I am due this Sunday and even though I might not go in on that exact day I am nervous altogether about labor. I was wondering do the epidural really work? is it effective, does it hurt? When should I ask for one? And I heard that if you come in too late and you have really dilated that you can’t get one (that scares me!) is it true? I AM SOOOO SCARED …….If you guys could help me in answering these questions I think I would be a little more at ease. THANX

<div align="center"></div>
August 21st, 2007, 10:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Maren
I have no advice as far as the epidural cause i didnt get one just wanted to say good luck and from my experience the best thing to do while having a contraction is to just melt into the bed if that makes sense lol oh if you have the baby on your due date that my birthday ie a really awsome day lol sorry
Do you know what your having?

Visit my blog to find out how you can earn amazon gift cards
As well as just updates from me on everything!
http://lifeasmaren.blogspot.com/

August 22nd, 2007, 04:03 AM
*Mrs.T*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Mrs.T*
Well I didnt have a vaginal birth but I did get an epidural, Im surprised you didnt ask if it hurts lol Mine actually hurt less than when they put the IV in my arm. Its just like get an IV anywhere else and it doesnt hurt anymore because the needle is bigger or its in your back. Of course they gave me a LOT more than they normally would because I was having a c-section but if it works for that I cant imagine why it wouldnt work for labor.

It sounds like you are wanting to wait a little while before getting an epi, which is fine. Its hard to say when YOU need to get it, because every labor is so different. One minute you've gone from 5-6 in 5 hours and then all of a sudden your 9 or sometimes the whole labor goes fast, and then sometimes the whole labor goes slow. Most people DO make it to the hospital in time to get an epi so dont worry about that. *Normally* they want you to get one, if you are going to around 6-8 cm but of course that depends on your labor, sometimes earlier, esp if the mom is in a lot of pain, or just keeps bugging them for one

GL & ELV's!!!
August 22nd, 2007, 06:15 AM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jdee0509
Compared to what you'll go through during labor and stuff, the epidurel is like cakework I think! It helped me a lot because I could actually sleep through the contractions. Oh and when you get an epidurel they dont let you get up at ALL because your legs are numb and you wont be able to feel them and you may fall so they put a cathedar in your bladder, I know that freaks some woman out.

and i dont think thats true about the coming too late thing...they can give you the epidurel any time.

oh and good luck you're almost done!! yay

August 22nd, 2007, 06:19 AM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I was asking for one pretty much since I got in the door, lol. So, they told me to wait until I was around 6-8 cms, which is when I got mine. The worst part about getting it, is that you have to sit perfectly still through contractions, but other then that, I had no problems w/ it. For a couple hours I was at peace lol. But, when it came time to push her out, I felt everything.. I don't know if that's how its supposed to go, but I guess mine didn't work completely.

Like said though, every labour is really different. I progressed fairly quick, I had her in 6 hours total. But, my sister on the other hand stayed at 5cms for a week and then when she started to feel contractions, she progressed REALLY quick and her water broke in the car on the way to the hospital... when she got there, she had him in less then an hour he came out really fast and she never had time for an epidural. She was REALLY set on one and that was her #1 fear that she wouldn't make it in time.. but now, looking back on it, she says it didn't really matter to her as long as he was ok.

I know that probably didn't put you at ease, but its just my experiences w/ epidruals. You could be completely different. Try not to worry! It may hurt a lot at the time, but it doesn't last forever (even though I'm sure no one can convince you of that when you're in labour ), and this may sound really cliche, but once its over and you see your baby... the pain just disappears and doesn't even matter anymore. Its really not that bad for everyone!
August 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
kristina13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will tell you about my experience. I had an epidual almsot as soon as my water broke. We knew the anethstisiologist (sp? lol) and he came right away. it was a good thing, because he had to do a c section right after, and I delivered before he got out of surgery . As far as the pain management goes, I had no pain in my abdomen(contraction cramping) but a lot of pain in my bottom. And pushing hurt like a you know what. But dont be alarmed, it wasnt that bad, and since I could feel the pressure down below, it made pushing easier. I was only in labor 6 hours with my first so itwasnt bad at all. The expected me to deliver at 6 pm ish and I delivered at 1130 am. So a little pain is not a bad thing. Dont be nervous, this is going to be the best day of your life. Be excited!! Congratulations in advance!
August 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
August2006Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to August2006Mommy
My experience--I was induced, and got stuck @ about 3cm nothing was happening...i tried to hold on for as long as i could but i felt so overwhelmed and tired i got the epidural at about 3 1/2 cm...it wasent as bad as everyone makes it seem...plus the thought of after having my epi i could relax and the pain from my contractions...the last thing on my mind was the feeling of the epidural..then i fell asleep about 10 mins after...and when i was about 7cm i woke up suddenly in alot of pain..the epi had wore off...so from 7cm onto the full delievery i didnt have any pain medication and it wasent that bad @ all..the epi helped get me dialated a bit faster...and if i was more strong emotionally i could've went without it...in your case i cant tell u when to ask for one or if it'll hurt b/c all labours are different..and i might be more tolerable to pain than you or vice versa..all i can suggest is stay calm..and if you feel like you can go without it then by all means do that..if not speak up when you truly cant take no more and ask for the medication

August 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom had 4 epis with all of us and said they were heaven on earth LoL. My friend, that's also a teen mommy, had one at 3 centimeters and played cards with her boyfriend on her bed. She went to bed at around 6 centimeters and they had to wake her up to tell her to push.. she pushed 3 times and he was born LoL. Lucky her! I'm sure everything will go well with you, good luck! Can't wait to see pics!

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

August 22nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Lacey.♥s.Lemons's Avatar Mommy March '05 & Feb '10
Send a message via MSN to Lacey.♥s.Lemons Send a message via Yahoo to Lacey.♥s.Lemons
Me experience was horrible getting it! It was VERY VERY painful. He hit a nerve and I screamed and now I have back problems. But it did work and I could relax. I got mine as soon as I walked through the door, but I had been in labor for 4 hours already. My doctor turn the flow off about 20 minutes before I pushed and I felt that, which wasn't bad at all.

GL!!

August 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I'm not getting one.
August 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
skyj03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think everyones experiances are diffrent and it depends if you have a good anethstisiologist. With my DD it was very painful but that is because I have disc in my lower back that have deterorated from a back problem I have so it took them 4 tries to find a spot to put it in...and bent the needle in my back once. So this time I will not be getting one..but again Mine was painful becuase of my back problem..most people have no problems and love getting an epi ..it does make it easier to rest.

August 22nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Lacey.♥s.Lemons's Avatar Mommy March '05 & Feb '10
Send a message via MSN to Lacey.♥s.Lemons Send a message via Yahoo to Lacey.♥s.Lemons
EEk! That sounds horrible Miranda! After an experience like that I wouldn't one to get one again either!

August 22nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Regular
I never wanted an epi during labour with either of my children and never got one.

Everyone bombarded me with scare stories of labour, then SIL told me she really enjoyed hers and sure it hurt, but she got through it ok. I went into labour feeling positive and had 2 very good labours, which I believe were down to my positivity.

Everyone has different pain thresholds of course, so what works for me might not work for you, but try and have an open mind about labour, it might not be as bad as you expect

August 22nd, 2007, 02:37 PM
hotjai21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to hotjai21
since this is my 1st - cant tell you from personal experience- but my best friend had one and she has a mild case of scoliosis (sp?) -so it took them so many times to get it in the right spot and she was bawling.. then her spinal fluid leaked out for about a month after she had her daughter.. she had to go back to the doctor twice to get a blood patch done. thats where they put blood in the hole where she had her epi so that it would clot and close the hole-- since it was leaking out she had a horrible headache for a long time... so yeah her experience sucked!! and she says that she will never have one again- that she will just have iv medicine to take the edge off.. but i still plan on having one-- they didnt know about her spine having a small curve- so it was truely an accident, that really couldnt have been avoided... but as you can tell from all the stories- every one is different.. so good luck!!! and ELV to ya!!

August 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Regular
My replies to all (used SN's since I don't know ur real ones) I really judt didn't want to respond to each one by one (Lazy I know LoL)

Yeah Maren I found out way back in March that I was having a boy, Mrs. T how was the c-section was it a smooth procedure? Are you going to have another with this baby? Jd0509 thanks for the good luck wishes... about that cathedra doesn’t it feel weird??? Beckii Is it easy to sit perfectly still through it? And then you had to endure the pain and it wore off!!! Kristina13 and August2006mommy has put me a little at esase w/ the whole the epidural thing so far. I hope this epidural is heaven on earth for me too LIASnANDY, Mommy.x3s.Owen ,skyj03 and hotjai21 put my scared level at an 11 on a 1-10 scale Lol! Glad you had a good labor though. MelMel and Danielle87 yall are true soilders for not getting one, and Channy thanks for the info, I hope ur not going to go over!!!

<div align="center"></div>
August 22nd, 2007, 03:19 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I can't really tell about an experience, because well, I haven't had an experience yet lol.. but I don't plan to get one, I just can't stand the thought of not being able to feel my legs! But yeah, it's true that they can't give you one if you go in too late and they think you'll have to push soon because it can interfere with that, but I'm not sure exactly how dilated you have to be before that happens.
August 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
conley1988
Yes, if you are too dilated you can't get one. My nurse told me I would have my first son before 12am when I arrived at 7 pm. Joke was on her, at 10 o'clock I was ready to push and had to wait for my doctor, he was born at 11:11 pm. No epi.

With Jerry I got one as soon as I got my pitocin! It really worked. I didn't feel a thing. three pushes as he was hear. I mean, I couldn't feel not one thing.

I have heard of some losing feeling in one leg, or feeling it a little, but not me.
August 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Regular
I hope my experience with it will be as good as yours.

August 23rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ladyjill
With my first pregnancy I got the epidural when the pain got to be too much for me which was at 4 cm.. The worst part was the numbing shot, and it wasn't THAT bad.. to me it felt more like a beesting. After he did that, I didn't feel the actual epidural needle at all. This past time, I had a scheduled c-section, so I had a spinal block.. It took the anestisiologist 5 or 6 tries to get the needle in.. Needless to say, that pissed me off, but once he got it in the right spot, I felt nothing.
August 23rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
How hard is it to sit through? I guess it depends on how bad your contractions are, but by then, I'm sure they're pretty often. It isn't extremely hard, its just tough but if you have someone that can kind of distract you or tell you to keep breathing and hold your hands, it helps a lot. I just kept thinking "if I sit still... it'll be over really soon" and he was taking so long to set up I was cursing him lol

Yep mine wore off. My mom's did w/ my sister as well so that's why I'm not sure if everyones does! But, I don't know how you can NOT feel something, its a baby coming through, kwim?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search