How young is too young?

Forum: Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
jordan's mommie
This is not to offend anyone.

In your opinion, how young is too young to hve a baby?

The reason I ask is because I have some girls in my school district that are getting pregnant in the 6th and 7th grades. I personally think that is too young to try to be a mommy, plus it is hard as h*ll on your body.
August 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Lacey.♥s.Lemons's Avatar Mommy March '05 & Feb '10
Send a message via MSN to Lacey.♥s.Lemons Send a message via Yahoo to Lacey.♥s.Lemons
I guess it all depends on the person. We had one girl at our young mother's high school that was 13, which I thought was ridiculous.

August 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
briena's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to briena
to me the maturity level is whats important..you could have a 17 year old thats an amazing parent..and then you could see a 25 year old whos a crappy parent...it all depends on how mature you are.......but yes girls in the 6th and 7the grade..that is way too young their only just learning about thier bodies ..

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
August 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jdee0509
Any younger than 16-17, or maybe even 16 or 17, the girls body may not even be fully developed to have a baby!!

August 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
conley1988
i would say under 18. I say that because if you were to ttc I believe that you should be able to meet the babies basic needs without signature from a adult. Do people realize that even though they are a parent under 18 that their parents still have to make decision for them? I know one girl who said all this crap about her parents and moved out, when she become pregnant at 15 she left. She tried to go to a doctor but they wouldn't see her without parental permission and they disowned her. She spent the first 6 months in court because her parents wouldn't do anything to get emancipated.

But in age differentals, I would say 15. Just getting over the I so...blank...I'm dumb age and then entering the stage of trying to bridge your life into adulthood. Just so much going on then.
August 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
hotjai21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to hotjai21
.. yeah i think that if your truely trying to have a baby-- you should probably atleast 18.. if not older.. it really depends on the maturity level- but as far as the 6th and 7th graders i think haveing sex period at that age is WAY to young!!! they know NOTHING about stds and stuff like that.. and there body hasnt finished growing at all- half of them dont even have bbs yet- so wheres the milk gonna go- see what im saying.. some people may suprise you and be great parents.. - but i know personally if my daughter was TRYING to get pregnant in elementary and junior high- i would beat her!! maybe thats harsh but are you kidding me??

August 23rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad I'm not alone because when I first saw this post.. I wanted to say anything younger than 18 is too young IMO but I didn't want to offend anyone. I was 18 when I gave birth to Remy but I was 17 when he was conceived. But it's so much easier to have the law recognize me as an adult (whether or not I felt like one) when I had to fill out forms and everything else when it came to my life and Remy's. I no longer had to check with my parents, get my parents permission, or whatever kwim? The maturity level matters also but I think it's a lot easier when you are AT LEAST 18.

August 23rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you are more mature at 18 if you are ttc. But if it is unplanned 16 or older. Because i think at 16 you have the potential to grow up fast and make decisions if you want to. And in texas if you become pregnant as a teenager the state automatically recognizes you as an adult whether your 18 or not. I know that because my friend katie got pregnant at 16 and her mom didnt have to sign any of the papers because the state said katie was an adult since she was pregnant.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Dombone's Avatar Twilight Obsessor.
I agree wit hthe others who say anyone under 18!

August 23rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Well, from my personal experience so far:

I was 17 when I got pregnant and I just turned 18 at the beginning of the month. So, going to my ob/filling out paperwork/etc I was/am 18. It was completely unplanned and I am still in high school. It isn't in the least bit 'ideal' and I wish it could've waited.

So, I think anyone under 16 shouldn't be pregnant. That's ridiculous, I'm having a rough time and I couldn't imagine being 14-15 and pregnant.

And no one should be ttc if they can't afford it, I don't care how old they are.
August 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I think I'm gonna agree and say that under 18, shouldn't be TTC. If it happens unplanned from 16 and up, then I think it is ok depending on the maturity of the girl. I was 16 when I got pregnant, and 17 when I had her. I don't know if its different in Canada, but I never needed my mom to sign anything for me when it came to myself or my daughter. It usually says 16 and under for parental permission.

But, personally, I don't think anyone under 16 should be having sex in the first place.. I'd like to say higher then that, but I'd feel like a hypocrite considering I was 16 when I started. I just feel its too much to risk.

And like Mel said, no one should be TTC until they can financially and emotionally care for a child, no matter what age they are.

August 23rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
chlodoll
I dont think anyone should try to have a baby intentionally under 18.
August 24th, 2007, 01:49 AM
CO Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think anyone should intentionally TTC when they can't provide for the child- 18 and legal or otherwise. If you can afford a child, have a stable foundation in which it raise a child to age 18- not just a baby. Can mentally place yourself last in EVERY situation, then more power to you. People forget when they are trying to have a child that you are not just supporting them finacially through the first few years, but 18 years AT LEAST!

Logan, 6 y/o, Gabriel 2 y/o, Aidan 7 m/o

August 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM
August2006Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to August2006Mommy
I agree...intentionally trying to pregnant under 18 is too young....im soo glad i didnt get pregnant with Deja until after 2 years when i was 18 b/c i dunno what i would've done b4 that..in school not working, in my moms house, etc.

August 24th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
no younger than 18 -- though I agree with what some of the other girls said about maturity.

August 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM
terimichelle's Avatar Veteran
Well, I'm 17. I was 16 when the baby was concieved. If that makes me a bad person, I don't know. I did love the guy, and I still do. It's a hard situation. When the baby gets here I will be 18 in six months. I guess that it has to do with maturity. I'm still in high school, and it is hard but I didn't try for it. It was an accident. I know that I can be a good parent though. I'm very responsible and I am so good with kids. I am going to be the best parent I can. I know that I can do a better job than some of the older girls in my school that have babies and all they do is party.

<div align="center">

</div>
August 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM
jeepgirl9478's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For most people I think you should be 18 before TTC. But there are those few exceptions. I got married at 17 and we started trying to concieve on our honeymoon. Didn't think it would happen that fast but sure enough we now have a honey moon baby. At 17 I was deffinatly mature enough to have a baby. My husband made sure we were finacially set to be parents and we have never ever had to go to someone to ask for help. I moved out of state a week after the baby was born and have never had a babysitter. My son is 3 1/2 and I can count on one hand the number of times I have left him with someone other than my husband. Every since I got pregnant we both gave up drinking and going out to party. We stay home with our son every night and never go out unless it is a family event. So I can't say that no one should try to concieve before 18 because there are those few rare girls who are compleatly mature enough and finacially set to do it earlier.

Thanks .hoodihoo.this. for the siggy!!
August 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Lacey.♥s.Lemons's Avatar Mommy March '05 & Feb '10
Send a message via MSN to Lacey.♥s.Lemons Send a message via Yahoo to Lacey.♥s.Lemons
Quote:
Well, I'm 17. I was 16 when the baby was concieved. If that makes me a bad person, I don't know. I did love the guy, and I still do. It's a hard situation. When the baby gets here I will be 18 in six months. I guess that it has to do with maturity. I'm still in high school, and it is hard but I didn't try for it. It was an accident. I know that I can be a good parent though. I'm very responsible and I am so good with kids. I am going to be the best parent I can. I know that I can do a better job than some of the older girls in my school that have babies and all they do is party.[/b]
We're talking about TTC (tryng to conceive), we're aren't calling you a bad person, obviously a lot of us were under 16. I was 17 when my son was born also.

August 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Well, I want to say 18, which may be strange because I'm only 16 myself but I think for most people (not all) you should be 18 before you TTC. This baby was not planned but DF and I have a great relationship and are ready to be stable parents, we can provide for our baby and were much more mature than most other people our age. We both love this baby more than anything else and are prepared to be great parents to him/her. So in general I think you shouldn't TTC before you're at least 18 (for a lot of people that's even too young) but I think there are exceptions and a lot of younger people become better parents than older people.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search