numbness?

Forum: Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Teen Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
I have been getting frequent numbness in my legs, kind of feels like someone has been sitting on my legs for hours and than got up is this usually associated with pregnancy or do I just have bad circulation?

August 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I *think* it can be associated w/ pregnancy.. but I'm not sure. My sister has been having the same problem w/ her wrists when she's sleeping.
August 25th, 2007, 04:47 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got it a lot during the 2nd trimester and my 3rd.. my whole left leg will go numb and tingle and I can't feel it. THe doctor said it's the baby putting presure on a nerve and causing my leg to not get enough blood flow so it cramps up. What out babies do to us LoL

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

August 25th, 2007, 06:15 AM
briena's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to briena
i woke up to my arms being like that..for about a week! it was soo annoying

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
August 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Steph87's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Steph87
Quote:
I have been getting frequent numbness in my legs, kind of feels like someone has been sitting on my legs for hours and than got up is this usually associated with pregnancy or do I just have bad circulation?[/b]

This is apparently some paresthesia in one of the nerves that innervates this specific area of the leg. It could be caused by compression, a larger nerve bunch stimulation or as a result of the "softening" effects of progesterone on the lining of the nerve sheath (demyelinization).

It is not a very common complaint and I would ask a neurologist to examine you and test for other areas that may be affected.

I Found that.. and also this:

Sciatica Nerve Pain During Pregnancy

There are many interesting side effects of pregnancy, one of which is sciatica during pregnancy. While not solely a pregnancy related condition, sciatica does affect many women during pregnancy.

What is Sciatica and How Can It Affect Pregnancy?
The sciatic nerve is a long nerve that runs from the lower back to the back of the legs and feet. Typically this nerve allows feeling in the muscles of the legs and feet. There are times however when the sciatic nerve can become inflamed, whether from pressure in the back or injury. When this happens people experience sciatic pain. Sometimes persistent or chronic pressure to the sciatic nerve can result in weakness in the leg or surrounding areas, numbness or even tingling. Some women describe the sensation as similar to the feeling of pins and needles you get when your leg falls asleep.

Many women develop sciatica during pregnancy, though sciatica isn't a result necessarily of being pregnant. Pressure on the sciatic nerve during pregnancy can lead to backache or other discomfort. Some women assume that the baby presses on the sciatic nerve resulting in pain or discomfort. This is not necessarily however the case. Many times sciatic pain during pregnancy results from damage to a disc in the spine. This can cause inflammation in the tissues surrounding the never or result in direct pressure to the nerve (if for example, the disc has slipped out of place and is compressing the nerve). Women who are pregnant are more prone to disc injury, hence the relationship.

Many women will have developed sciatica at some point or another whether pregnant or not. It may be coincidence that they experience pain and discomfort during their pregnancy. Some women will feel pain or tingling in their back and leg while others will only notice discomfort in one or the other area. Some women experience pelvic pain during pregnancy which is sometimes mistaken for sciatic pain.

Typically the symptoms of sciatica in pregnancy include the following:

Pins and needles in the lower back or leg, possibly the affected foot.
Shooting or burning in the leg, buttock or lower back.
Pain in the lower back or back of the pelvis that may extend into the foot.
Numbness in the leg or feet.
Treating Sciatica During Pregnancy
Many times sciatica pain or discomfort disappears on its own. Sometimes this can take as much as six weeks or more however. Routine visits to a physical therapist may help relieve some of your symptoms. Manual therapy can often help relieve pressure and discomfort associated with pregnancy back pain.

A therapist can also provide you with a list of beneficial exercises to not only improve your comfort but also strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, abdominal muscles and back muscles. These will prove beneficial for labor and delivery, and the time after.

Still others find chiropractic care helpful for relieving sciatica pain. If you do choose to see a chiropractor or other manual therapist, be certain they have experience working with prenatal patients.

Some women find massage therapy helpful for relieving inflammation and symptoms associated with sciatica. A massage can certainly help reduce muscle tension. Some theories suggest that gluteus or psoas muscles that are too tight can help contribute to sciatic pain. Massage therapy may help relieve some of this tightness and reduce the symptoms associated with sciatica.

If you do develop sciatica during pregnancy be sure to consult with your health care provider regarding possible treatment options. Your doctor may recommend applying heat to the affected area and getting as much rest as possible. Postural corrections or changes may also help alleviate some of the pressure on your disc and the affected regions of your body.

</div>
August 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
thanks guys at least I know I'm not imagining things

August 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Ugh, I hate that! My leg does it all the time, sometimes it cramps up and hurts too..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search