?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
~Mommy_of_Twins~

Last edited by ~Mommy_of_Twins~; November 9th, 2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: ?
September 28th, 2009, 01:58 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry you had such a horrible experience!

kind of odd they said there was no time for general anesthesia. It is much faster to put you out with general than a spinal. All they do is administer it into your IV.

I had general during my c/s because they didn't have time to put a spinal in and wait for it to take effect...

Again, very sorry for your experience, but you don't have the right to come to the VBAC board and tell us not to VBAC.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

Last edited by 3Sapphires; September 28th, 2009 at 02:08 PM.
September 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam & Nate's Mommy View Post
I am sorry you had such a horrible experience!

kind of odd they said there was no time for general anesthesia. It is much faster to put you out with general than a spinal. All they do is administer it into your IV.

I had general during my c/s because they didn't have time to put a spinal in and wait for it to take effect...

Again, very sorry for your experience, but you don't have the right to come to the VBAC board and tell us not to VBAC.
Ditto. I'm really sorry this happened to you but you or the baby could easily have died from a scheduled c/s too. Pregnancy is a risk no matter what.

September 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM
~Mommy_of_Twins~
!

Last edited by ~Mommy_of_Twins~; November 9th, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
September 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Honestly, im glad you posted this story.

Although i have to be honest, it now scares the crap out of me, it just reiterates the fact that these things DO happen and that sometimes we do need to listen to doctors when they are pushing for something. And most importantly trust our instincts.

I always want to be treated as me, and not all the statistics that are out there favoring either way of birthing.

Thank you for sharing your story and im so glad you and logan are safe!! Lots of hugs sweetie!
September 30th, 2009, 07:34 AM
~Mommy_of_Twins~
[

Last edited by ~Mommy_of_Twins~; November 9th, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
September 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you won't be able to have any more children. I know it's a miracle that you and Logan are healthy, and I'm sure you are grateful, but I know you must be experiencing grief that you can't have any more children after this. *hugs*

I'm glad you posted, too. I think for all of us facing the decision between vbac and RCS we need to be aware of the risks either way and make the decision we feel best. Always trusting what is hopefully unbiased medical opinion and our own instincts.

September 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Lady Moonlight's Avatar Freddy and Sammy's Mommy
I'm glad that you and your son are both well and alive. Each of our births will be a different experience, and we need to take time to appreciate what we have.

I wouldn't want any woman to experience uterine rupture during birth. It's a terrifying thing.
I also wouldn't want any woman to experience the cesarean I had with my son, which was also terrifying. Nor a friend of mine who had an unnecesarean with her first daughter and they screwed up in the OR and she may never be able to conceive nor carry to full term again.

I thank you for your story and am sorry that you had to be one of the ones who ruptured. I hope for your sake, that you are able to have more children should you so choose. Good luck in the future and congratulations on your son!

October 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
~Mommy_of_Twins~
;

Last edited by ~Mommy_of_Twins~; November 9th, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
October 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mommy_of_Twins~ View Post
Thank you so much. Wow, your words of kindness and understanding are really helping me heal and deal with my grief. Unfortunately, the doctor has made it clear I am not to risk another pregnancy - ever. This is heartbreaking to us, especially because we had frozen embryos left over from our IVF cycles that we had wanted to transfer back. Now, we will be placing them up for adoption to other couples. This is hurting me so much to do, but at least they will have a chance at life- just not life with me. *Hugs*
It's probably too soon to think about much less make a decision, but what about surrogacy?

I'm glad that talking about it helps. I can't imagine what that must have been like. My daughter has a developmental problem that the odds were 1 in .00025 of happening. MUCH less than the rupture rate but it still happened. Despite the fact that I am pro-vbac, I always have that in the back of my mind. I hate that one cesarean makes any pregnancy more risky..

October 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM
CriscoNinja
I'm so glad you're ok!! How scary!!

I can't even imagine! I would never wish that on anyone. But I think trying for a VBAC is a very personal decision and I think as long as women do the research and make an informed decision it is their decision. I know you are trying to protect us and like I said, I can't even imagine.

I have luckily had a successful VBAC and am trying for another one this month. I think it's just important that as VBAC'ers we give special attention to the pain and listen to our docs about getting to the hospital on time.

Again, I'm so glad you and Logan are OK ((hugs)) it sucks that you were in that 1%.
October 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
First and foremost I want to say that I'm very sorry that you and your family went through this, what a close call and how incredibly frightening it must have been for you. I'm also so very sorry that you've been advised to not attempt any more pregnancies. I know I want a big family, so that would be devastating to hear.

There are a few things that I would like to point out though, for anyone else reading your story, so they are able to make an educated decision about VBAC that works for them.

The risk of UR is much higher when your subsequent pregnancy occurs less than one year after your c/s, MUCH higher. So the OP, yours would have been more than 1% actually, as you had your first c/s almost one year prior to the day of your UR. I'm surprised you found a provider even willing to do a VBAC with you, given that history.

Then finally, the risk of UR is actually only .5% in a VBAC as long as labor is natural, not induced by any interventions.

Please read this article: Homebirth after Cesarean: The Myth and the Reality - by Amy V. Haas which is fully documented and sited, for further information.
October 14th, 2009, 05:42 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry you had to go through such a difficult ordeal. That is every VBAC mommas biggest fear! Isn’t it wonderful that we have life saving procedures like c-section when they are really needed? It is awesome that they acted quickly to save your baby.
Now for the reality part. Pregnancy is risky, period. Even if you have never had a c-section there is a 1 in 165 chance that you will have a still birth, the death of a baby after 20 weeks gestation. There is an even higher percentage of miscarriage. Does this mean women should never get pregnant because those odds are staggering? Getting an amniocentesis has a .4% chance of causing death of the baby and roughly the same ultimate risk of UR in a natural VBAC, does this mean doctors should never do it again? Having a c-section does not guarantee a good outcome either, in one study the stats on neonatal death following a c-section is 1.77 deaths per 1000 live births vs. after a vaginal birth of .62 per 1000 live births. And in July the CDC put out that even with adjusting for complications c-section carries three times the risk for neonatal death CDC Says Cesarean Triples Neonatal Death Risk - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com odds are in the favor of VBAC. Having a VBAC is ultimately no more risky than letting a doctor rupture your membranes and having a prolapsed cord as a result, yet doctors do it ALL the time. When rolapsed cord does occur the outcome is usually less favorable then when a UR occurs with more brain damage and death.
Once you have a scarred uterus there is a risk of about .2% of UR at any time during the pregnancy, which is really not statistically significant between that time and the risk of .4-.6% during labor. And most ruptures have a favorable outcome, such as yours.
More important is not to warn women of the risk of UR and use scare tactics to get your point of view out there, but to educate women before they have their first surgical birth. Help women to know the best way to achieve a vaginal birth the first time and every time.
You mentioned that the women who disagreed with you were rude. But so is you coming here to a VBAC support area and pushing your agenda. If I were to go to the c-section support area and even mention VBAC I would be attacked. When I was in my last DDC if I even mentioned the risk associated with c-section I was told off. I was told not to try to scare women and to make them feel guilty about their choices. What you have done here is no different. We come here for support. As I read the beginning of your story I was riveted, and elated when you had a positive outcome. And then you had to be rather rude and tell us all that we are horrible people for putting our children at risk. Just as the c-section mommas say that it is their choice, even with all the risks associated, which are generally worse than the risk of VBAC, it is also our choice to make the best decision at the moment for our babies.

I know loss. My son died in my uterus at 24 weeks. The potential that my first c-section was directly related is high. Surgical birth is the problem, not VBAC. So don’t attack us for our choice to give our baby what we believe to be the best start to life. We all understand the risk, no one here goes into our decision lightly. Would it be horrible to be in the .5%? Absolutely! Would it be horrible to be in the higher percentage of elective c-sections that end in a dead baby? Absolutely! Would it be horrible to be that momma that opts for an ERCS at 39 weeks, and then ruptures at 37, yup it sure would.
I can only speak for myself, but I am sure the others would agree, that I was interested to read your story, and it is good that you posted it to keep us aware. But to end it with
“If I could do it all again, I would have scheduled another c/s. The risk of uterine rupture is NOT WORTH IT. I now may never be able to have more children. Please, please don't try for a VBAC, ladies. Please. Hugs!!!!
Edited after doctor appointment to add...”

was taking it too far.

Ending your pregnancy with the reduced chance of more children is also more likely to happen with c-section than with VBAC. Especially if you have more than one c-section. There is also the thing called second opinion. I would personally not take one doctors word that you cannot have more children. There are women on the ICAN yahoo list who had successful pregnancies after UR. One even had a poor outcome, her son died, and she still went on to have another baby.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 2nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Meg I agree, the information needs to be put out there, weather good or bad. So that we all have the ability to make the most informed decision. But to tell us that we shouldn't ever try isn't the whole picture. I am going to be almost 3 years out from my last c/s. I also know that my doctor while not vbac supportive did an amazing job sewing me back up so that I could confidently carrier my future babies with no problem. But yes the risk is still there, and I feel it is something I must do for not only my mental health but for the health of my baby!

November 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There was no reason to delete the entire post. I think allowing women to know that uterine is possible, and that the outcome is not always catastrophic is an important thing. My only thought was that you should be more sensitive to the audience and realize that you were attacking our choices and basically telling us we are irresponsible. Editing your warning to say there is a real risk, and that getting induced and having a lot of interventions during a VBAC is a bad idea would have been sufficient. Telling us all the risk was not worth it was a little over the top.

I am actually sad that you removed the entire story. It was well written and heart-wrenching. I hope someday you feel safe enough to repost it with a little understanding of what this support forum is about, and not being judgmental to us for our decisions.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search