We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Xposted March DDC Board
Not a VBAC, but promised I would tell you all.... and I at least got to try and that is all that really matters to me.
This is the first free moment since we got home on Wed. that I have been able to sit down and type this up. We are still adjusting to being home with all three girls.
As most of you know on Sat. the 13th I woke up around 11am thinking my water had broken, but then when I only had a few trickles and it stopped I just figured it was extra discharge. Shortly after waking I noticed tightening contractions coming every 2-3 minutes, but nothing with any pain behind them. As the day went on they got a little stronger with cramping coming. By 8pm they had become quite a bit stronger from the morning, but still no unbearable so I decided to lay down, but DD2 was fighting sleep and being cranky so I held off. Around 10pm DD2 agreed to come upstairs with me to lay down and watch a movie. By the time I walked up the stairs, got the movie out of their room, brought it into our room, put it on and laid down the contractions were even stronger and I had to breath through a few and DD2 was the cutest sitting there breathing with me every so often. I decided to call the hospital and the OB on call called back at about 11:30pm (roughly 30 minutes after I had originally called) and she told me to come in to get checked and see if they would be keeping me. In the process of getting everything loaded into the car, grabbing last minute stuff and getting dressed DH had packed my laptop before I had the chance to post that I was heading in so I called my friend and had her message Tiff to let her know I was on the way.... DH also in the process forgot the camera, but luckily we had the camera on our phone.
We arrived at the hospital around 12-12:15am, they placed me in an NST room to see if it was full labor before fully admitting me and giving me an L&D room. Shortly after arriving I was checked and still only 1-2cm and my cervix was still pretty long and slightly posterior, so not much change from my appt. on Fri. My BP was a little on the high side for me and Kaylee's HB was tacky and sometimes jumping into the mid-high 170s which had them a little worried and they decided to keep me for an hour or two to monitor me. If her HB steadied and I had not made much progress they were going to send me home with a sleeping pill and labor some more at home, but shortly after checking me my contractions went from talking through them then to no longer talking through let alone breathing through them, but leaving me in tears. It was then that I was having to keep switching sides to see if her HB would stabilize and I caved and said I wanted an epi, so they were going to check me after the OB came in to see how I was doing. If I had not gotten past a 3-4cm they were not going to give me the epi afraid it would slow or stop my labor which they didn't want with my BP and Kaylee's HB.
The OB came in and said the decision was ours, but she would suggest just having a repeat. She explained that my last u/s showed a window on my uterus which was basically a super thin, almost see through section and that since my pain got so intense so fast and was even worse when I was laying on my left side that it might be the best option. We asked her to leave so we could discuss it and called my mom to get her opinion as well. It was during the call and through two more contractions that we decided to go for the repeat because something just didn't feel right to me. After agreeing to the section things went super fast, I asked to pee before heading to the OR since I really had to go and it was then I lost a ton of my mucus plug. I was originally going to be checked again before making our decision, but when I got that feeling I didn't bother which I regret now because I am really curious on if the stronger contractions did anything or not. After peeing they walked me back to the OR while DH changed and put my spinal in and got me all prepped, it was now maybe 12:45am (so not long after arriving). DH came in when they were ready and we just kinda chatted while they worked and finally at 1:27am weighing 7lbs 15.6oz and 20.5" long Kaylee Mary entered the world. Despite having her cord wrapped once, covered and choking on meconium she screamed like crazy and soon after was able to get all off the meconium out of her. DH then headed out with Kaylee while she got her first bath while they finished working on me. The OB told me scar tissue was looking great and saw no reason why in a few years we couldn't have more kids, but to let my uterus rest a bit for now. I got out of the OR at 3am, but only because of the time change in the middle of finishing up the surgery and headed to recovery where DH and Kaylee joined me pretty fast and she wanted to nurse right away. The nurse then came in and said we probably made a very good decision since my BP wasn't coming down, Kaylee's HB wasn't stabilizing, she had the cord wrapped, swallowed meconium and the window on my uterus. I was told the OB didn't even need to cut my uterus where the window was that she was able to poke her finger through it because it was so thin and odds are if I hadn't made much progress soon I most likely could have ruptured. I wasn't in recovery long because the feeling came back to my legs pretty fast so we headed to our room in maternity.
Kaylee is a nursing pro, but wanted to nurse almost every hour or non-stop since my milk hadn't come in which left me so overly tired and barely sleeping. Luckily however I was doing very well so fast and was able to have my cath and IV removed just under 12 hours post-op and could begin walking around. The nurses were amazed for a third section how fast I was recovering. Kaylee's weight began to drop over the next few days and right before we were released on Wed. she had dropped to 7lbs 3.8oz, which was just above the 10% loss they don't like to see (7lbs 2oz was 10%), but we were allowed to come home as long as we had a visiting nurse come in yesterday. Everything went well with the nurse and Kaylee is back up to 7lbs 7oz and if I can get an appt. on Mon. for her and her weight is back up we are going back to EBF.
In the end I did not get the birth experience I really wanted, but I at least got to labor for 13-14 hours and did all I could to get my VBAC. I am just happy to have a healthy little girl and that both of us are ok. All in all after the trauma of my last section with my old OB and the horrible hospital he delivers at I am quite happy with how amazing the hospital staff was through out the whole thing.
Now onto a couple pictures off my FB from just the other day
I'm sorry that you didn't get the vbac, but it's good that you got to try and that you listened to your intuition. I'm so glad you were treated better this time! I think that makes a big difference in how women feel about the birth.
It is great that you got a better experience this time around, and like Michelle said that makes all of the difference in the world! The best thing I can say it that you trusted your instincts and because you did that, you and your baby are healthy and intact! Don't be ashamed you did it! No one could ask for more.