Log In Sign Up

Aliahna Elizabeth Volz- Born 07/03/2010 via Vbac


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 4th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
This is the story of my vbac!

Well I guess I better start with my previous birth with my first son Corban. My son was born via c-section because of a prolapsed cord. I was in labor for about 10 min, I only had about 2 or 3 contractions until I had my emergency c-section due to my son's prolapsed cord and low heart rate. When he was born he also had his cord wrapped around his neck and shortly after the c-section I stopped breathing and almost lost my life. This is the reason why I wanted a Vbac so bad with my second pregnancy.

Leading up to my labor my mother was staying with us, at this time I was 40 wks pregnant and considered "over due". My mom noticed a change in my behavior two days before I went into labor, I was really short with my three year old son and very moody. My doctor of course agreed to let me vbac so long as labor was pretty much "text book perfect", he really was the only local doctor around to let me attempt it so I stayed with him. Anyways, I had my 40 week check up on Monday June 28th and at that appointment my doctor was pushing for me to keep my scheduled c-section that I made about two months ago with the understanding that if I changed my mind I could just "not show up". Anyways, faced with that decision I had made a follow up appointment for that following Friday July 2nd to discus it in more detail with him about the c-section vs going more over due with the pregnancy. So at about 37 weeks pregnant I was having contractions that where always 15 min apart lasting about three hours and at around 3am they would get a little stronger in pain but again 15 min apart and would stop. So you can imagine at 40 weeks prego I was tired and never thought I would go into labor before July 5th (my scheduled c-section my doc. wanted me to commit to). Thursday night on July 1st I had those 15min apart contractions and I just ignored them. Then on July 2nd the next day I woke up to some simi-painful contractions at 5:37am, they hurt, enough to keep me awake but not bad. So I tried to fall asleep thinking nothing will come out of this. At about six am however I just had to get up, at that time my mom got up to go pee and I told her what was happening, she decided to stay up with me as she felt I wasn't going to make it to my scheduled c-section. Good thing she did because the contractions did not go away and what was different from these contractions on that day was that they started at 7/8 min apart instead of 15min. I also forgot to mention I had lost the rest of my plug three days before. I did not want to "call in the troops or sound the alarm" so my mom and I watched a movie and waited around until about 7am when I called my doula as they were now getting to be 5min apart. Sure enough she called it and said I was in early labor!! I called my hubby and he decided to come home. By about 10am my mom was able to predict every time I was "due" for a contraction.. that was when I knew it was "go" time. So I called my doc. office to cancel my appointment for that day but the main nurse wanted me to come in so they could check for dilation and "if" I went into full labor I would be in the area of the hospital (I live around 25/30min from the hospital). I decided to take her advice and my doula met me there. The plan was if I was under 4cm dilated I would request to leave and go walk around the mall etc and then come back. My doctor had them monitor my contractions just to see if I was really in labor. At 11:40am I found out that I was 3cm dilated!! Because I was in active early labor and the fact that my doc. is very much on the "safe" side of things he wanted me to stay and be admitted. My doula didn't really like that much but I made the decision to stay. My doc. did say that if my labor didn't progress, along with dilation after two hours then he would let me leave and come back. But as it so happens when I was checked again at 1:40am I was very close to 4cm and my labor did not stop but instead the contractions got more painful and longer. My doctor decided he wanted me to stay as he said I was going into active full labor and wanted to keep an eye on me because of the chance of uterus rupture. My doula and I decided we would make best of the situation and go walk the halls so we did that (I had a mobile heart rate monitor on me). I found that walking really helped with the pain. My doctor had two c-sections that he had to attend to so it wasn't until about 8:30pm that he checked me again for dilation (it was great cause he and the staff didn't check me around the clock or anything) and I was a good 4cm dilated. At which my contractions were now 3/4 min. apart and he started to talk about breaking my water. Now one thing about my doc. was he would not brake it unless I agreed and he understood my fears of having it broken. So he gave me some options, told the potential risks/results of each and then left the room to let me decide. He wanted to give me an epidural (only because I told him I would want one a few months ago) and then brake my water. What I decided (with help from my doula) to do is get the epi., get some sleep/rest for a few hours then be checked again for dilation and go from there. It was funny because after discussing this with my doula, I called the nurse back in to tell her my decision when the nurse said that the doctor had said the same thing to her and I was really happy with that. I did not felt pushed or "scared" into doing what he wanted but instead he worked with me. So at 1:30am I had the nurse come in and check me.. boy you should have seen the look on her face when she realized I was 9 cm and 100% effaced!! She had to double check! Not to mention the bag of waters was bulging! So her and I agreed that I would sleep some more to let the baby move down some more as my contractions were real strong now and extremely close together. She said if I get the urge to push or water breaks to get her right away. So at 4:00am she came in to check and I was ready to go!! I started pushing at 4:00 am and loved my labor/delivery nurse! She was SO encouraging, motivated and had a nice calming soft voice!! At 5:36am her head had crowned and I was asked to stop pushing to wait for the doc to come in! I tell you what that is hard! All my body was doing was screaming to push her out! I had two contractions while I waited for him and my doula had me take very short fast breaths to stop from pushing. The doc. came in and then I pushed and with one huge push she was out! Man what a feeling!! It was amazing!!! I think I really surprised my doctor with my birth! I don't think he really was expecting it to go well LOL

Alianha Elizabeth Volz was born at 5:36 am on July 3rd, weight 8lbs, 4 ounces, 19 inches long! Labor was 24 hrs long and pushing was an hour and a half!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
July 5th, 2010, 09:30 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Posts: 6,777
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
Congrats again! What an awesome doctor. I'm glad things went well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
July 5th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
Thank you! Yes I am very happy everything went good!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
July 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM
amy219's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,303
Yay Liz!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
July 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,907
Thanks for sharing! Congrats again.
__________________


VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
Reply With Quote
  #6  
January 5th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Jennifer Nadien's Avatar Bun in the Oven
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 19
Sounds great! I hope my Vbac will be close to that!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0